Let The Right One In pseudo-review

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Shinigami357, Sep 23, 2010.

Sep 23, 2010
  1. Shinigami357
    OP

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    Well, I just finished reading Let The Right One In, being such a fan of horror films/literature and I must say, it's refreshing to read great vampire literature. Actually, I got a recommendation to read it from a horror-movie site going on (absolutely raving, actually) about the original film (Swedish, I think) and since I can't get a copy of the movie (with subtitles of course) I just read the novel. Of course, it's also a lot of kudos to the person who translated the whole thing out and still captured the atmosphere and the sense of the novel.

Without spoiling too much, Let The Right One In isn't a basic vampire story where everyone gets eaten (well, of course some people still have their blood taken in rather gruesome fashion, but that's not the focus of the story) and all that. It's basically about the interaction (relationship, if you will) between a maltreated but otherwise normal boy and a harmless-looking girl who turns out to be something else, and the people all around them. It's dark (as most horror novels tend to be) but is entirely counterbalanced by the setting and the plot which all feel believable. If anything, the ending was perfectly executed, not telling you outright what's what, but relying on the fact that the buildup of events will make it clear to the reader exactly what did happen, and leaving the future for the main characters as open-ended as possible. Great reading for anyone who appreciates the genre, the vampire mythology, or is just out for a proper vampire novel.

---​

I'm waiting for the english remake/retelling titled Let Me In.

2. Man18

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    i thought it sucked

3. Shinigami357
    OP

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    Well, horror literature is more of a niche genre. To each his own, I guess.