TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Remembrance_Day___Poppy_Day_by_daliscar.jpg

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning,We will remember them.

It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'll never forget them, even today as I got up out of bed I thought of how the world would have looked like if the Germans won.
It's thanks to the numerous lives of young and old people that it didn't happen, and that we know the world as it is now.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Satangel said:
I'll never forget them, even today as I got up out of bed I thought of how the world would have looked like if the Germans won.
It's thanks to the numerous lives of young and old people that it didn't happen, and that we know the world as it is now.

Hear, hear.

EDIT: Damn, fucked that post up.
@ TrolleyDave
It was a good service, but I was boiling. Few people fainted.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Satangel said:

Beautifully said.
smile.gif

QUOTE(Evo.lve @ Nov 11 2010, 11:44 AM) It was a good service, but I was boiling. Few people fainted.

It's freezing here! lol Hopefully it won't stop a good turn out for the services though.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I must say that although I forgot about it, I did partake in the minute silence. They played the Last POst through the shopping center speaker system. What I found funny was that I work in an Aussie food store and we had customers asking what it was about. Facepalm.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Edgedancer said:
I must say that although I forgot about it, I did partake in the minute silence. They played the Last POst through the shopping center speaker system. What I found funny was that I work in an Aussie food store and we had customers asking what it was about. Facepalm.
Hahaha!
We had ours at my school. It was interesting seeing everyone under the loudspeakers control.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Edgedancer said:

Nice one mate! It's good that they played the Last Post over the loud speaker as well. Hopefully they've done that across the UK as well. It don't surprise me that people were asking what it was cos I had to actually explain it to my niece yesterday! She's not been taught about Remembrance Day by the school! I was well shocked. She knew the poppy was about remembering soldiers but didn't know the reasons behind it. Not a good trend.
frown.gif

QUOTE(GundamXXX @ Nov 11 2010, 12:26 PM) We have it in Belgium aswell. I did my 2min of silence... was still asleep though ;/

But yea respect to those who saved us from the Germans
smile.gif

Asleep or not it don't matter! lol The important thing is not forgetting the sacrifices that were made by young and old alike.
smile.gif

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

It is thanks to the men and women who sacrificed their lives in the wars of the past that we have a world without Nazi Germany or the Japanese Empire ruling over us. I salute those who lost their lives to fight for our freedom, and those that are still doing so in Afghanistan and other areas around the world.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
GundamXXX said:
We have it in Belgium aswell. I did my 2min of silence... was still asleep though ;/

But yea respect to those who saved us from the Germans
smile.gif

Asleep or not it don't matter! lol The important thing is not forgetting the sacrifices that were made by young and old alike.
smile.gif

agreed!

I went to the Melbourne War Memorial in 2008(?) and got a poppy from there... Im not big on rememberance stuff but the total mutual respect there was overwhelming

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I pay my respects. I attend athe Remembrance Day ceremony every year, rain or shine, and I just think about the sacrifices that were made so we could live a life like this.

At my school Remembrance Day ceremony though, I died a little. They're reading the names of some fallen soldiers, and someone behind me is talking about how he's gotten 5th Prestige on Black Ops.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
I pay my respects. I attend athe Remembrance Day ceremony every year, rain or shine, and I just think about the sacrifices that were made so we could live a life like this.

Top man. Too many people are forgetting how much owe to those who gave up so much in all the wars.
frown.gif

QUOTEAt my school Remembrance Day ceremony though, I died a little. They're reading the names of some fallen soldiers, and someone behind me is talking about how he's gotten 5th Prestige on Black Ops.

I know exactly what you mean. Some people just don't understand exactly the prices that were paid so we could be free probably just because they're so comfortable with their lives. It's hard for them to imagine that it could ever be any different if you get me.

Todays Remembrance service in Britain was marred by 2 groups of protesters. It was actually quite shocking and I've never seen anything like it before.
frown.gif
I'll argue anyones right to protest, even if I hate the message they're putting forward, but there's a time and a place for everything and a Remembrance day service is neither the time nor the place. While I agree the protesters needed counter protesters they both broke the 2 minute silence which is shameful. Today isn't a day about politics, it's a day about remembering the harm that politics can cause.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...istice-Day.html

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
They're reading the names of some fallen soldiers, and someone behind me is talking about how he's gotten 5th Prestige on Black Ops.

that's screwed up, your not there to talk gaming, your there to show your respect for those who fought and those who died, I am sure they will grow up some day, but it is hurtful to show such disrespect.

@td, that's really good man I like it allot, I thank god for people like my great grandpa who fought in vietnam/was a post WWII soldier over in germany, my grandfather on my mothers side who fought in the battle of the bulge, and my grandfather on my dad's side who was a member of MASH in Korea. he's coming down today and were going out to spend time with him.
smile.gif

@CarbonX13, that's really good to, I am glad there are people out there who still care!

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The Living Shadow said:
Midna said:
They're reading the names of some fallen soldiers, and someone behind me is talking about how he's gotten 5th Prestige on Black Ops.

that's screwed up, your not there to talk gaming, your there to show your respect for those who fought and those who died, I am sure they will grow up some day, but it is hurtful to show such disrespect.
Not just gaming. I would be annoyed, but not appalled as I was, if they had been talking about any other genre of game. But CoD a war FPS. You play as soldiers, you kill people, often incredibly violently. It shows very little respect to the sacrifices of the soldiers, and is a huge part of the reason why war has been so glorified in this generation. I'm also disgusted that they put Black Ops out right before Remembrance Day. My Social Studies teacher was relating his father's experience as a WWII veteran, and some kid asked him how many kills his dad got. Urgh...

Also, protesters on Remembrance Day... Horrible. We're not celebrating and promoting War. We're remembering the people who fought in the wars, perhaps even died, for us.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
The Living Shadow said:
@td, that's really good man I like it allot, I thank god for people like my great grandpa who fought in vietnam/was a post WWII soldier over in germany, my grandfather on my mothers side who fought in the battle of the bulge, and my grandfather on my dad's side who was a member of MASH in Korea. he's coming down today and were going out to spend time with him.
smile.gif

Thanks dude!
smile.gif
My great Grandad was in the RAF in WW2 and about half of my family has served at one time or another. I know I don't know your Grandad but tell him I said thanks for putting his life on the line for me.

QUOTE(Midna @ Nov 11 2010, 10:15 PM) Not just gaming. I would be annoyed, but not appalled as I was, if they had been talking about any other genre of game. But CoD a war FPS. You play as soldiers, you kill people, often incredibly violently. It shows very little respect to the sacrifices of the soldiers, and is a huge part of the reason why war has been so glorified in this generation. I'm also disgusted that they put Black Ops out right before Remembrance Day. My Social Studies teacher was relating his father's experience as a WWII veteran, and some kid asked him how many kills his dad got. Urgh...

Also, protesters on Remembrance Day... Horrible. We're not celebrating and promoting War. We're remembering the people who fought in the wars, perhaps even died, for us.

That bolded part is just so wrong. Kids these days just don't understand.
frown.gif
Unfortunately there's people in the services now that think like that, they're not joining up because of what it represents they're joining up because they get to kill people. That's not what the military is about and never should be. As a great man once said "A patriot says he'll die for his country, not kill for it".

And spot statement about why we're remembering, I like it alot. Much respect to you.

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Not just gaming. I would be annoyed, but not appalled as I was, if they had been talking about any other genre of game. But CoD a war FPS. You play as soldiers, you kill people, often incredibly violently. It shows very little respect to the sacrifices of the soldiers, and is a huge part of the reason why war has been so glorified in this generation. I'm also disgusted that they put Black Ops out right before Remembrance Day. My Social Studies teacher was relating his father's experience as a WWII veteran, and some kid asked him how many kills his dad got. Urgh...

yea, sry about that i was in a rush to post. kids will be stupid, there is nothing you can do but pull them aside and talk to them about why that's a bad thing, there parents are supposed to do that, but some seem to miss the lesson.

TrolleyDaveThanks dude! My great Grandad was in the RAF in WW2 and about half of my family has served at one time or another. I know I don't know your Grandad but tell him I said thanks for putting his life on the line for me.

no problem I will tell him, tho idk how it would come out "some guy on the internet.... " but I am sure It will make him feel good
smile.gif
please do the same if you can on my behalf.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night