Less fancy Gbatemp for a EDGE/GPRS Phone?

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Gbatemp really looks nice, but I've got a Nokia 9300 which is really cool to surf the web on the go, but it's just EDGE/GPRS enabled, so it's slow (+ mostly I can just use GPRS because of my location). Many forums give you a special page for PDAs/Cell phones/etc., does GBAtemp got such a page as well?

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of a GBAtemp app for phones. Lets you go in and check the forums and post... kinda like twitter/myspace/facebook apps for phones. I wonder what that work would entail? And i wonder if its something a small group of us could put together?

I mean, the simple GBAtemp site would be kickass as well, and i'd like to see that back up and running... its just the question of the mobile page made me think of mobile apps.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of a GBAtemp app for phones. Lets you go in and check the forums and post... kinda like twitter/myspace/facebook apps for phones. I wonder what that work would entail? And i wonder if its something a small group of us could put together?

I mean, the simple GBAtemp site would be kickass as well, and i'd like to see that back up and running... its just the question of the mobile page made me think of mobile apps.

Ooh Great idea, It'd also be cool to see it as an app for the iPod Touch and iPhone.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
this is exactly the sort of headache i was trying to avoid with my suggestion... what devices to support, and supporting them all.

WAP sites work on all mobile phones and PDAs that are capable of internet browsing without any customization

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
this is exactly the sort of headache i was trying to avoid with my suggestion... what devices to support, and supporting them all.

WAP sites work on all mobile phones and PDAs that are capable of internet browsing without any customization

Yes, that is true, but having a separate program lets it move so much quicker. I have a twitter app for my WM5 phone. If i go to the Twitter site, it takes a while for everything to load. If i hop on through the app, i can check things, post, whatever, w/out much time lost. Now, i understand that there's a lot more going on through this site, BUT, it would be nice to be able to have a quick way to access GBAtemp from my phone w/out having to load up my browser.

With all that said, a program would be a lot of work, and there would probably need to be work done on the site as well, to work with a separate app.

A WAP site would be very nice as well... it was just that the app has been on my mind for a while, and this thread re-sparked my hope for it
tongue.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dedicated apps do tend to work faster yes, mainly because they already have the front end and only require access to database information.

It would be just far too much work IMO to make a app for palm OS, windows mobile 2003/5/6, symbian, iphone, android, and probably others. and trying to develop cross platform apps that work on them all is neigh on impossible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr