1. JimPlayz912

OP JimPlayz912 Screw hater

Greece
    Ok, not long ago I purchased a 4gb ram stick for my laptop since it's only 2gb and it blows, lemme tell ya.

So, I did the unscrewing proccess, placed the ram in there, and theeennn once I booted up my laptop WITH my extra ram intact, it just refused to boot and it beeped
    1 time then 3 times then 3 times again and then 1 time. (in other words it beeped 1-3-3-1)

I tried to remove the original 2gb stick and replaced it with the 4gb one, still no.

Either:
    -The ram stick is dirty SOMEHOW
    -The ram slots won't accept 4gb or higher. (but I checked my max ram by using the cmd and it said I have 8gb max ram so, idk if this is the case)

Thanks

Last edited by JimPlayz912, Aug 19, 2020
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

1331 is a ram error code (no shit), if swapping it between slots doesn't work, likely the ram you bought is faulty, or incompatible. that laptop supports DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600

I suggest looking into replacing the ram if it's still under warranty. i'd also suggest getting 2 sticks that are the same capacity, so dual channel works properly, so 2x2gb, 2x4gb, etc
    A reliable brand i suggest would be Crucial/Micron. not the fastest or mindblowing ram, but it's known to be extremely reliable.

Last edited Aug 19, 2020
  3. JimPlayz912

Greece
    OK first, the ram stick I bought is DDR3 of course
    and secondly, do I have to place the rams like 2+2 and 4+4 and not 2+4?
    Because I still have some money left for another 4gb ram stick...

I'll see what I can do.
    Thanks for the help.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

you can use 2+4, it just won't work as well, since dual channel mostly relies on the sticks being identical capacity
    dual channel is pretty important in having your pc run decently, unless the cpu doesn't support dual channel for whatever reason

5. JimPlayz912

Greece
    Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I actually tried putting the 4gb stick and NOTHING else but it still beeped at me

So my only guess is that the ram is faulty... (which sounds impossible since I bought it 1.5weeks ago)
    I just don't know if the ram is dirty or my laptop supports only 2gb per slot

Last edited by JimPlayz912, Aug 19, 2020
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

the laptop supports a max of 8gb, so the ram itself is faulty, manufacturers have a "minimum acceptable defect" where you can have a very, very small percentage of the product that fails QA, just go through warranty and get the ram replaced

also check the ram if it's PC3 or PC3L, some devices don't support full PC3 since it uses a higher voltage, 1.5v vs 1.3v

7. JimPlayz912

Greece
    The ram stick is 1.5v, is that the problem?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

migth be, upon research people recommend pc3l for this laptop, do you not have anything else you could test the ram on?

usually it's just better to buy pc3l anyway since it's compatible with both 1.3 and 1.5v

Last edited Aug 19, 2020
  9. JimPlayz912

Greece
    oof, ok I'll see what I can do.
    Thanks a lot for helping.

10. spotanjo3

spotanjo3 GBAtemp Legend

United States
    You are better off getting the better laptop one. Lenovo and HP sucks big! Be prepare for the worst.

According to this:

Many faced this problem that the lenovo laptop board is pushed inside whenever any key is pressed. The other Problem is the heating issue. Laptop gets heated very fast. Other than these problems other common laptop problems are also seen in Lenovo Laptops like Display issue, Motherboard and hard disk problem.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

this is a ram issue, the beep code says it's ram, and it works fine with the 2gb stick

i have more than any reasonable amount of experience with laptops lol

12. spotanjo3

spotanjo3 GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I know but I am telling you to be prepare because Lenovo is not going to live longer. And it is lousy, really. ;)

13. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

yeah i know, i had a rude awakening recently when i found out that a lenovo SFF i bought recently had a bios whitelist that didn't let me use my AMD graphics card in it. but i don't see the need to buy a new PC if the one you currently have works for the uses you have it for.

spotanjo3 likes this.
  14. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

United States
    I might actually know this one because I had the same error on my T500, is the RAM you bought low density? Most ram you can buy online is high-density, unless labeled otherwise. The Core 2 Duo machines don't have support for higher density ram, so your ram will have to have 16 little chips on it, like 8 on each side. It doesn't seem to get mentioned often online, despite the fact that there's dozens of thinkpad circlejerk communities out there

Last edited by Orangy57, Aug 19, 2020
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

i just realized that he never mentioned the brand, nor did we ask for the brand of the ram

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    https://uk.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/lenovo/thinkpad-t400-series
    Does say 1.35V. Now crucial will tend to want to sell you things so I take things with a pinch of salt (they won't typically steer you wrong, especially not for a machine like this, but whether they push it to the limit is a different matter) and I can't find much either on lenovo's site (their max listing is most likely what they would have sold you, and does not mention voltage anyway) nor Intel's (CPU or chipset on their ark thing).

It depends which one you get, as it does with most laptops.

If you only buy their cheapest consumer trash lines then yeah I have never been impressed by them and seen any number of issues arise which are usually only made worse by build quality.
    Buy their business and ruggedised lines (the T400 being of the former) and things change somewhat. I preferred them when they were still IBM and their most recent stuff has not impressed me all that much but at the point of the T400 things were still reasonable.

spotanjo3 likes this.
  17. JimPlayz912

Greece
    Alright
    1.It's a teamgroup ram stick, not cruicial
    2.I sent back the ram stick for checking and turns out, the ram stick isn't faulty at all.

sooo I then conluded that it was the BIOS fault
    ...but I already updated the bios 1 month ago

I have no idea
    it DOES support 8gb ram (aka 4+4)
    the ram stick is ddr3 as intended
    the bios is up to date
    then WHAT is the problem?
    It's like my laptop REALLY wants to stay at 2gb ram only for SOME reason

18. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    It's simply an incompatibility with the RAM and mobo, laptops aren't exactly great at supporting all kinds of RAM and support will be a bit limited, especially on something a tad old like the T400. If I had to guess, the 1.35v vs 1.5v is the problem.

Return the stick if you can, and pick up 2x 4GB sticks (since, as mentioned, that's the max you can use for the laptop). DDR3 should be cheap enough that you can easily pick something like that up for like $20-$30 (well, in the US anyways, not sure about your location). Make sure the RAM you buy is DDR3L, and you shouldn't have much of an issue.

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Lenovo is a good brand. Like most manufacturers though, you get what you pay for. A cheap laptop is going to be made of lower quality parts. Unless you are buying HP as everything they sell is trash.

20. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

United States
    Do you know whether or not it's high or low density ram? How many little chips did it have on it, if it didn't have 16 it isn't compatible with the T400

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Lenovo, accept,