Lenovo G560 Laptop reboots after turning on [HELP!]

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so my laptop is possibly bricked, but I do not know. Anyway it all started with me trying to upgrade from a 32 Bit windows 10 to a 64 Bit because I though it was powerful enough, but the RAM was not enough so then it didn't work. It loaded really slow and took a long time to even work (and never started windows, but the startup did show) and then I ended up turning my computer off by holding the power button. I tried turning it back on and it did and it showed the windows 10 startup, but it made a crazy loud sound when it started to load and then again, I turned it back off. I then tried going into the options (you know, the ones where it starts up when you power it off at the middle of loading on windows and then powering it back on leaving you to those fixing options or something like that) and then tried to re-install windows 7 (as a downgrade), but it failed either once or twice. Then when I tried booting windows up, it was just a black screen of death and then it rebooted and kept doing it over and over. I also tried booting from a USB device, but the same thing happened, it rebooted back to the start.

Ok, so does anybody know how to fix this (I cannot access the BIOS because the guy who put the BIOS password on it never told me or anyone else). This would be a great help to me!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, sounds like the filesystem got borked by turning the PC off while it was writing to disk. No big deal, nothing unrepairable (except maybe losing your data).

Try to grab a Windows 7 install DVD (if no DVD drive, then create a bootable USB device using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool), go onto the "Repair your computer", select the Command Prompt after it gives you the various options, and run chkdsk C: /F and chkdsk D: /F. You might have some more partitions, so also try chkdsk E: /F and so on until you get an error about a non-existing drive. Exit then reboot, and see what happens.

If it still doesn't work, then you need to wipe the entire drive and do a clean install. You can directly do that from the Win7 USB device you've created earlier. If you need to back up stuff from it before you do that, you can look into using a bootable Linux distro to get your data off before wiping it.

Good luck.

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, sounds like the filesystem got borked by turning the PC off while it was writing to disk. No big deal, nothing unrepairable (except maybe losing your data).

Try to grab a Windows 7 install DVD (if no DVD drive, then create a bootable USB device using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool), go onto the "Repair your computer", select the Command Prompt after it gives you the various options, and run chkdsk C: /F and chkdsk D: /F. You might have some more partitions, so also try chkdsk E: /F and so on until you get an error about a non-existing drive. Exit then reboot, and see what happens.

If it still doesn't work, then you need to wipe the entire drive and do a clean install. You can directly do that from the Win7 USB device you've created earlier. If you need to back up stuff from it before you do that, you can look into using a bootable Linux distro to get your data off before wiping it.

Good luck.
First of all, I backed up my data (as I said before), but yeah I already tried using a USB flash drive with windows 10 - 32 Bit so then I could install it back, but it did the same thing as it did while booting up. I do not know where to get any windows CD either though... Although, I still have not tried to wipe out the hard drive, thanks!

Last edited by ,

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First of all, I backed up my data (as I said before), but yeah I already tried using a USB flash drive with windows 10 - 32 Bit so then I could install it back, but it did the same thing as it did while booting up. I do not know where to get any windows CD either though... Although, I still have not tried to wipe out the hard drive, thanks!
32-bits makes sense only if you have 2GBs of RAM. Otherwise shoot for 64.

If there's deep Filesystem corruption it might stop the installers from working. If you can't access the partition wizard in the Win7/10 setup because it can't initialise the partitions at all then using something like GParted will solve your issues.

Shadd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
32-bits makes sense only if you have 2GBs of RAM. Otherwise shoot for 64.

If there's deep Filesystem corruption it might stop the installers from working. If you can't access the partition wizard in the Win7/10 setup because it can't initialise the partitions at all then using something like GParted will solve your issues.
Well, my only option is through USB and my computer just keeps on doing the same exact thing no matter what. I go into boot options and boot through a USB flash drive, but it just makes a black screen of death and reboots all over again. I am not sure how to fix this, but I cannot access the BIOS either sadly. I am not sure if it will accept a DVD at all and this could be a problem. I will try and see one more time if I can run GParted trough a USB flash drive and if not I will try and see if it does the same thing to a DVD and/or CD. I will ask for more help otherwise.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, my only option is through USB and my computer just keeps on doing the same exact thing no matter what. I go into boot options and boot through a USB flash drive, but it just makes a black screen of death and reboots all over again. I am not sure how to fix this, but I cannot access the BIOS either sadly. I am not sure if it will accept a DVD at all and this could be a problem. I will try and see one more time if I can run GParted trough a USB flash drive and if not I will try and see if it does the same thing to a DVD and/or CD. I will ask for more help otherwise.
Yeah, GParted is probably your best bet. If that can't recognise the drive either, then the problem might lay elsewhere.

jmrodrigues

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Seems that the BIOS isn't finding the USB boot and goes to HDD.
Try another Flash Drive and another port. Force the USB boot order going to BIOS boot options.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr