LEGO Super Mario collaboration revealed, slated for release later this year

LEGO and Nintendo have teamed up for "a reimagination of the LEGO building experience", featuring Super Mario characters. You'll be able to build Mario themed stages out of special LEGO's, while guiding an interactive Mario toy through them, which can track when you make the figure jump on enemies, land on hazards, or complete your courses and earn coins. There's a display and small speaker on Mario's overalls that will notify players, either making a Warp Pipe sound effect when Mario is placed in one, or showing lava when he's placed on top of a "lava" block, and other themed effects. The LEGO and Super Mario collaboration is set to release later this year.

BILLUND, March 12, 2020: The LEGO Group announced a partnership with Nintendo that will change the way people interact with Super Mario in the physical world and engage in LEGO® experiences.

Both companies share a passion for innovation and play and their collaboration has led to a reimagination of the LEGO building experience, enabling an entirely new way to play inspired by the beloved video game icon, Super Mario.

Neither a video game nor a traditional LEGO brick-based set, LEGO® Super Mario™ is a new product line that features an interactive LEGO Mario figure who collects coins in real-life game levels created with LEGO bricks. The new line will let kids experience the playful world of Super Mario like never before. Super Mario will be brought to life in the physical LEGO world and new levels of challenge and styles of play will be part of the iconic LEGO experience enjoyed by generations.

The news was also shared in a video posted by the LEGO Group and Nintendo earlier today (https://youtu.be/Fq3hw4imZ3g).

The video, which hints at what fans can expect when LEGO Super Mario launches later this year, shows a player using an interactive Mario figure to collect coins in a real-life game level that has been created with LEGO bricks.

“We are very excited to bring Mario into the physical world through interactive and social LEGO play”, said Julia Goldin, Chief Marketing Officer, EVP of the LEGO Group. “With this experience we will help millions of kids with love for Mario to engage and play in a completely new way, where they are in control of creating and playing games with their favourite character. By seamlessly incorporating the latest digital technology, LEGO Super Mario is a highly social, interactive and collaborative experience for kids."

“I have always liked LEGO products and how they help children use their imagination to play”, said Takashi Tezuka, Executive Officer and Game Producer of Nintendo Co., Ltd. “The new product we created together with the LEGO Group seeks to combine two different styles of play – one where you freely build the world of Mario and the other where you play with Mario in the very world that you have created.”

LEGO® Super Mario™ will launch later this year, and more information will be made available in the future.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that video is showing it’s actually going to be like this, I don’t want it, I probably wouldn’t get it if it was a video game either. This is probably going to cost about the same amount of money as buying those expensive card boards.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm somewhat surprised by the choice of lego as opposed to Nanoblocks, since pokemon/gamefreak seems to have a deal with them (as do the companies behind evangelion, ultraman and godzilla).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was expecting more traditional Legos, but this sounds like fun for the kids.
I'm surprised Mario themed Legos haven't happened already, both have been around for a long time and everything under the sun seems to have been a Lego set (or several) at some point in time. And this just seems like a match made in heaven.
Or maybe it's happened before and I just missed it.

This seems to be more specifically Mario Maker themed. It's not a bad idea, would be nice to have some traditional Lego sets too, but Mario Maker is pretty popular both among kids and otherwise and possibly being able to recreate your Mario Maker levels in real life and play through them sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Lostbhoy

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was expecting more traditional Legos, but this sounds like fun for the kids.
I'm surprised Mario themed Legos haven't happened already, both have been around for a long time and everything under the sun seems to have been a Lego set (or several) at some point in time. And this just seems like a match made in heaven.
Or maybe it's happened before and I just missed it.
Nintendo as we kno like to do things ther way and may of thought shit what if lego mario becomes mor popular then paper mario or even super mario lol and I don't think they wanted tht but mayb now ther mor relaxed about it like mobile mario kart and they got try mor different things with others and not become stale

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nintendo as we kno like to do things ther way and may of thought shit what if lego mario becomes mor popular then paper mario or even super mario lol and I don't think they wanted tht but mayb now ther mor relaxed about it like mobile mario kart and they got try mor different things with others and not become stale
That could work out. As much as I hate the Lego *insert popular franchise here* games, they do sell well and kids seem to love them.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The only shocking thing about this collaboration is that it didn't happen sooner. Obviously not a whole lot of appeal there for me personally, but it's a license to print money where kids are concerned.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They already have been remastered - Nintendo should rather focus on NEW games instead of this (topic), remasters and/or ports.
YES YES this exactly quit waisting fucking money on remakes and shitty ports and come off some new games. If i wanted to play a 5 year old game (witcher and the likes) i would bust it out off my shelf and play it on a real (ps4) system give us mario and the likes already 1st person ips are the only thing that makes getting a switch worth it and the selection sucks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.