LEGO Super Mario collaboration revealed, slated for release later this year

LEGO and Nintendo have teamed up for "a reimagination of the LEGO building experience", featuring Super Mario characters. You'll be able to build Mario themed stages out of special LEGO's, while guiding an interactive Mario toy through them, which can track when you make the figure jump on enemies, land on hazards, or complete your courses and earn coins. There's a display and small speaker on Mario's overalls that will notify players, either making a Warp Pipe sound effect when Mario is placed in one, or showing lava when he's placed on top of a "lava" block, and other themed effects. The LEGO and Super Mario collaboration is set to release later this year.

BILLUND, March 12, 2020: The LEGO Group announced a partnership with Nintendo that will change the way people interact with Super Mario in the physical world and engage in LEGO® experiences.

Both companies share a passion for innovation and play and their collaboration has led to a reimagination of the LEGO building experience, enabling an entirely new way to play inspired by the beloved video game icon, Super Mario.

Neither a video game nor a traditional LEGO brick-based set, LEGO® Super Mario™ is a new product line that features an interactive LEGO Mario figure who collects coins in real-life game levels created with LEGO bricks. The new line will let kids experience the playful world of Super Mario like never before. Super Mario will be brought to life in the physical LEGO world and new levels of challenge and styles of play will be part of the iconic LEGO experience enjoyed by generations.

The news was also shared in a video posted by the LEGO Group and Nintendo earlier today (https://youtu.be/Fq3hw4imZ3g).

The video, which hints at what fans can expect when LEGO Super Mario launches later this year, shows a player using an interactive Mario figure to collect coins in a real-life game level that has been created with LEGO bricks.

“We are very excited to bring Mario into the physical world through interactive and social LEGO play”, said Julia Goldin, Chief Marketing Officer, EVP of the LEGO Group. “With this experience we will help millions of kids with love for Mario to engage and play in a completely new way, where they are in control of creating and playing games with their favourite character. By seamlessly incorporating the latest digital technology, LEGO Super Mario is a highly social, interactive and collaborative experience for kids."

“I have always liked LEGO products and how they help children use their imagination to play”, said Takashi Tezuka, Executive Officer and Game Producer of Nintendo Co., Ltd. “The new product we created together with the LEGO Group seeks to combine two different styles of play – one where you freely build the world of Mario and the other where you play with Mario in the very world that you have created.”

LEGO® Super Mario™ will launch later this year, and more information will be made available in the future.

D

Deleted User

Gosh, my children are gonna love it...I have to hide the very existence of this concept to them, otherwise I'll have to drastically reduce their inheritance.:lol:

The concept of a 'video interactive' lego character is pretty clever if you ask me.

Reminds me 25 years ago, using LEGO to build Landstalker dungeons and Final Fantasy Tactics battle maps, between two thunder force style star fighters.

I guess, we all had the same games in the 90s.

Reactions: wartutor

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They already have been remastered - Nintendo should rather focus on NEW games instead of this (topic), remasters and/or ports.
Nintendo aren't making this, I doubt it's taking up much of their time, if at all. They probably just have a say on what improvements need to be made, if any, or whether the product is ready for release.

Reactions: banjo2
D

Deleted User

YES YES this exactly quit waisting fucking money on remakes and shitty ports and come off some new games. If i wanted to play a 5 year old game (witcher and the likes) i would bust it out off my shelf and play it on a real (ps4) system give us mario and the likes already 1st person ips are the only thing that makes getting a switch worth it and the selection sucks.
you're gonna play ocarina of time 3d on your ps4?

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're gonna play ocarina of time 3d on your ps4?
I have that on my fucking 3ds, wiiu, wii, gamecube and even fucking n64 can i get a new zelda instead of the same old bull shit ive already paid multiple times for for no other reason than nintendos fucking online service is a god damn joke.

Last edited by wartutor,
D

Deleted User

I have that on my fucking 3ds, wiiu, wii, gamecube and even fucking n64 can i get a new zelda instead of the same old bull shit ive already paid multiple times for for no other reason than nintendos fucking online service is a god damn joke.
bro can you like.... chill? just because you don't like ports on more recent, more easily accessible hardware, doesn't mean everyone in existence should hate them

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bro can you like.... chill? just because you don't like ports on more recent, more easily accessible hardware, doesn't mean everyone in existence should hate them
More easily accessed (looks at 3ds sitting on shelf) i guess that is a little high up. (Looks at wiiu sitting on bottom shelf of tv stand) damn what input is that again....(picks up any of the many devices that can run retroarch) humm preaty damn convient but maybe need 1 more dumb ass device to make it easily accessed....wtf do u read what you write. I said i didnt want anymore ports...you quote me and say "huhuhu how about zelda port." Dedede figured if i put enough fucks in my last post maybe it would click those 2 burnt brain cells on for a moment and you might realize i was seriously giving my opinion and you would respect that. But u retardedly answer telling me i should respect your opinion instead. Gtfo lmao

D

Deleted User

More easily accessed (looks at 3ds sitting on shelf) i guess that is a little high up. (Looks at wiiu sitting on bottom shelf of tv stand) damn what input is that again....(picks up any of the many devices that can run retroarch) humm preaty damn convient but maybe need 1 more dumb ass device to make it easily accessed....wtf do u read what you write. I said i didnt want anymore ports...you quote me and say "huhuhu how about zelda port." Dedede figured if i put enough fucks in my last post maybe it would click those 2 burnt brain cells on for a moment and you might realize i was seriously giving my opinion and you would respect that. But u retardedly answer telling me i should respect your opinion instead. Gtfo lmao
go out into a store and find an n64, nes, old atari hardware, anything before the past 3 generations. you'll have a tougher time. you're thinking only the current generation. yeah no shit it's easily accessible, which is why ports of older console games to the current hardware is a good thing. if these games weren't on the current systems, people would have to go out and possibly pay bloated prices for old, unreliable systems, and figure out the quirks of the original games which can range from "basically the same" to "holy fuck it used to be unplayable, jesus"
you mention retroarch and that's exactly the same thing as a lot of current consoles are doing, just not commercially and in a lot of cases you need to cuck your warranty in order to get it running

as a "wise" person once said "wtf do u read what u write"
"maybe it would click those 2 burnt brain cells on for a moment and you might realize i was seriously giving my opinion and you would respect that. but u retardedly answer telling me i should respect your opinion instead. gtfo lmao"

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They put it on GameCube?
collector's edition, it's basically just an official emulator

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
This is 99% Lego, 1% video game, 0% fun.

If I wanted to recreate Vidya with toys, I'd throw some Amiibos around the room.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

FailSandwich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know why everyone else is whining about how bad this is. I've been waiting for an official LEGO+Mario collaboration since I was a little kid! This isn't exactly what I imagined back then, but it looks awesome! Though I must admit, the smile IS a bit creepy...

I wonder how long it'll take for someone to hack the LCD display and run Doom on it?

Reactions: CarlangasLVDC

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know why everyone else is whining about how bad this is. I've been waiting for an official LEGO+Mario collaboration since I was a little kid! This isn't exactly what I imagined back then, but it looks awesome! Though I must admit, the smile IS a bit creepy...

I wonder how long it'll take for someone to hack the LCD display and run Doom on it?
Those tht are whining just ignore ther just big baby's crying because they wanted a lego game :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night