Lego Pirates of the Caribbean keeps freezing

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by jamesaa, May 20, 2011.

May 20, 2011
  1. jamesaa
    OP

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    As per title, my Lego pirates game keeps freezing at almost the same place, it's now happened four times in a row so I thought I would reach out for help.

The freezes are occurring here (excuse crappy image):
    [​IMG]

The area is during the London level in stranger tides.

The first freeze was during the loading screen for the area, each freeze after has been when trying to build the item my character is currently standing on in the above picture.

The freeze completely locks up the console, the home button will not work and I'm forced to hold the power button, and then completely restart the level.

Short of restarting the entire game in hopes of fixing this, or getting the game replaced has anyone get any ideas? Was hoping to finish the main game today.

I've tried blowing the cartridge etc with no difference, cartridge is brand new only purchased yesterday and in good clean condition.

2. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    I have beaten the game 100%, and I never froze once.
    If none of your other games are freezing, try returning the game for a different copy, it might be defective.

If other games are freezing, you might have a defective 3DS.

3. jamesaa
    OP

United Kingdom
    No problems with other games just this one, guess I'll have to return it tomorrow.

4. Darkor04

Newcomer Darkor04 Newbie

Puerto Rico
    Mine crashes at the end of the game after the cut scene move character near Blackbeard or broke any lego piece and it crashes making an annoying sound.... can't beat the game because of this. btw tried with two different Wii Systems replace the backup with a new one and sill happens

5. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    This is 3DS.

6. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    I had this problem with Lego Star Wars III, and I also had the black screen of death (error screen) while playing Rayman 3D. Some people said it was the SD card, and formatting it would fix the problem, but I never tried that. I did read numerous responses around the net saying that the wifi was causing problems, and black screens, even in games that didn't really use the wifi. I started turning the wifi off before playing these games, and never got a freeze or black screen again.

I doubt your game is defective, as I was able to get rid of the glitches by cutting off the wifi connection, and then the games were fine. I think the 3DS just has a lot of bugs that aren't fixed yet, and hopefully the big update includes some fixes.

7. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    I had the same problem once with dream trigger, the game no uses either the sd card or wifi, but maybe letting the wifi on can cause the problem. I'll try it too.

8. jamesaa
    OP

United Kingdom
    Just to post an update, I got the game replaced.

I have just got 100% with no freezing, so problem solved, seemed like I had a faulty cart.

9. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    WTF you completed the game in 5 minutes?

10. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Have you updated your 3DS at all yet since purchasing it, OP? The first update they issued fixed this problem.

11. jamesaa
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah was updated within a day or so of the update being released.

lol, no. I had completed the game 5 minutes before creating that post, it took me 10 hours 20 minutes to complete the game.

12. Xuphor

United States
    Glad to hear it worked out. This happens with practically every system launch, people get random freezes in some games, while others work perfectly. Other people don't have any freezes in the games, and they say some (frankly) luck-based fix for it. The reality almost all the time in this case is a faulty game.

13. cosmiccow

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    So it's a faulty game cartridge?

I had this with Super Monkey Ball and with Ghost Recon Shadow Wars.

It's clearly related to wifi, because it never happens when it's turned off.

So the solution is just to turn wifi off. But sometimes I want to be able to Spotpass while playing, so I wonder if I should replace the system or the cart... :<

Probably I'll wait for the 3DS update and see if it fixes it...

14. Nollog

Ireland
    Different error.

This was the game freezing and locking up.
    Not Black Error Screen of Having to Turn The 3DS Off.

15. cosmiccow

Germany
    Oops. You're right, Nollog. Mine is the black screen with the Nintendo error message.

Still not sure if it's the system or the cart(s). Though it looks more like the systems fault then.

16. Nollog

Ireland
    Personally, I think the black screen of slight annoyance is anti-piracy flagging the game as bad, and that's why wifi off stops it.

17. cosmiccow

Germany
    Wow, if that's the case: lol @ Nintendo!
    But the good thing is, that means it could be fixed with the software update (or even on their server side?)

18. dsfanatic5

United States
    I've been thinking this as well. I even looked it up on Nintendo's support page, and they treat the problem almost as normal. This would be the most annoying way of AP, but probably the most effective. For all we know, 3DS backups might not have necessary encryption or whatnot, and always result in the error screen. Makes me wonder if when the 3DS gets hacked, will turning off the wifi allow games to be played?

On topic, my freezing issue with Lego Star Wars III only occurred once, while wifi was on. It probably was luck, like someone else stated, but when I turned the wifi off, I was able to move on. If it freezes in the same spot every time, no matter what, then it probably is the game. I hope it's not a common issue in manufacturing.

19. Xuphor

United States
    You're joking, right? Turn off Wifi, problem solved. That's not that effective.

20. dsfanatic5

United States
    Assuming that the AP only worked via wifi, I guess you're right. It could ruin some games with a heavy focus on online multiplayer, or spotpass features, so it would still be annoying. If the AP is embedded in the firmware, that's a different story. I was only speculating, but I'm sure we'll all find out at some point. Sorry to go off-topic.