Legendary Mr. Flash 64M(GBC) ebay score!

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been thinking about trying to source a GB/GBC flash card for a while now but I really don't want to pay a fortune for something that I might not even get working properly.

Does anyone know if you can use the flash cards that LSDJ is flashed to for games as well? I've seen them blank on a few sites but they all seem to pertain to the chiptune scene... :)

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've been thinking about trying to source a GB/GBC flash card for a while now but I really don't want to pay a fortune for something that I might not even get working properly.

Does anyone know if you can use the flash cards that LSDJ is flashed to for games as well? I've seen them blank on a few sites but they all seem to pertain to the chiptune scene... :)
The ones sold on Kitsch-Bent can run games. The USB 64M SMART CARD is pretty much the only GB flashcart still produced.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yay got my Mr. Flash in the mail today!

Isn't it a beaut?

7200339134_fe6c99b81a_z.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is, indeed, a thing of beauty! Congrats. :)

That's cool regarding the carts sold on Kitsch Bent - that was one of the sites I had looked at. I think I'll be treating myself on pay day!

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I've got one of those in a cupboard somewhere, wonder what would be on it if I fired it up. Ages since I used it.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Technically, they ALL can run games. And I don't mean homebrew games. It just depends on hardware compatibility just like on the NES with it's ~100 mappers.

If you have the soldering skills, TSOP's are still a popular package style for chip carrier modules (AKA IC's). If you can make your own circuit boards, you can just use a CPLD and run all possible game mappers. I actually modified a Mega Memory Card to have an IDE connector. And no, it was not magically compatible with Compact Flash cards (or hard drives for that matter) just because it fit. You also have to provide your own memory mapper and RTC and save SRAM+cell/EEPROM and such. If this isn't obvious, then you don't need to be reading this forum and especially not this board. ;) You'd just take the short ribbon cable's end and plug it into a ROM board. Nice and modular and still keeps the saved-game backup feature. Oh, and it was within my soldering skills at the time. External boards give you the option to use bigger (size) but smaller (memory) chips such as plain 27C512 EPROMs (that were) in practically all obsolete motherboards (at the time). No mapper is needed for games that small. Just maybe some DIP switches for game selection, heh.
Got any pics? It interests me, but I won't probably ever do something like that because of it defeating the "portable" meaning of a Gameboy.

I'd still go for the Reiner Ziegler's way any day. Too bad I can't etch PCBs as I don't have any way to drill precisely in PCBs (I wonder if I can find a drill stand around here) :/

Reactions: 1 person

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That, or get a commercial Flash cart (good luck!).
Well, an USB SMART 64MB would cost me something like 40 bucks and it's available from Kitsch-Bent :P

Funny thing I discovered about pirated carts: Quite a few are actually Flash carts just with unknown programming methods! They use standard Flash ROMs though if you can solder a BGA to a socket. You'll laugh when you see the photo. I'll post the picture of some pirate carts I found but I don't actually have that MMC handy to photograph right now. It turns out to be in Texas and I don't have an easy way to go and get my stuff right now. :(

PS: It's funny to actually be looking for pirate carts for the unique hardware to look at.
Wait, they use BGA flash? Cool! I wanna see the pic when you can :rofl:

Pirate hardware is the best to look at, when you wanna discover funny ways of doing things ;)

gallery_285847_1207_9805.png

You can see how this could be made to be pretty compact. The perforated board is optional but makes sense. A SRAM with latches could be used to make a debugging dongle. No$GMB is so accurate that this is probably not really needed. http://gbatemp.net/g...terboard/large/

Oh, beware some of the bugs that can be caused by long wire runs. Electronic interference makes for some interesting 'issues'.
Really cool ;) Hm, I should even have a spare 27C512 around, and most certainly I already have sockets for it. I would prefer having a socket, since I could easily reprogram the EPROMs on it that way, if I would ever change the game on it :P

Too bad I haven't got any EPROM programmer, since it's been something like 18 months that I'm going to buy one but I can't decide between the various models. I mean, I need a programmer with variable voltage that can go up to 25V (USB can't do that), program GALs and PALs (I would have some uses for that when having to fiddle with Amiga hardware) and support SPI flashes.

I was going to get a Willem, but I can't decide between the various revisions, and that would leave me without GAL/PAL capabilities in any case :(

Which programmer have you got?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't bother with a 'super universal program everything but the kitchen sink with 500 adapters' device programmer. I used to use this ISA-based programmer that came with a long-life UV eraser, but haven't used it in years. It's with the Gameboy stuff, but I'd imagine that you guessed that by now. I'm probably just going to Craigslist/eBay/... most of that junk when I get back down to Texas.
Huh, would like a pic of that! I've searched eBay for one, hoping in something cheap, but it's $150 :P

I just want something practical and with a stable software.

There are tons of options. Look at Hackaday or the old SNES docs if you want some ideas on how to do it. I just bought a PCI-based Parallel port adapter off of eBay and have buffer chips and MOSFETs sitting around. You can trigger a MOSFET ($1 part) off of a standard 3 to 5V (TTL/CMOS) data line and have it switch 12 to 25V from either the PC or an adapter. I already have some programmers designed for microcontrollers and JTAG devices. A lot of people just use a spare motherboard and hotswap the EPROM. (That's the easiest and cheapest but also riskiest way)
Eh, that would be enough for most 16-bit EPROMs, I guess. Which are the majority of the EPROMs I'd need to flash anyway. If you've got some sites I could use as reference, I'd be really grateful to you. If you've designed it all by yourself, then kudos! :P

As I'm just self-taught, I hope I'll be able to understand how to trigger the MOSFET by reading the datasheet ;)

Here's the insides of that cart that I found:

I censored parts of it because of obvious reasons. I'd rather we be able to still get these unique carts.

1) See the left half of the first picture? That sucker is just a BGA adapter - in theory you can program it using an overhead pin adapter pressed against it! This means that we don't even need to know the programming method, if any, that the ASIC uses. In fact, you could replace that with a socket. :D
2) The back in the second part shows how professional the circuit board is. Those are very well-made lines and holes. The layout isn't too bad, either.
3) Some other views of the Flash memory and also the EPOXIED (!) chip on the board. Reminds me of the old Sharp carts on the NES/SNES.

I didn't include the wire-routing list for that wire-wrapped daughterboard because A) didn't remember B) it's pretty basic if you follow the GMB/GBC docs. All of about 20 wires. The glue has some added advantages. It insulates to avoid static/power rail discharges and shorts. It protects the wires from getting pulled out. It protects your freaking hand from those sharp pins(ouch!). It also keeps the solder from corroding - your hands are covered in salt and acids.

The BGA chip seems to be a 128Mb Flash ROM and 16Mb PSRAM all in one package. There are companies putting multiple chips on one IC carrier, nowadays. In theory, you could use this on a DS but mine is waiting on a cable before I can test it out with GBExploader or such. Annoying: EZFA and eCube software won't detect the saved game memory.
Lovely cart! Heh. I've heard of those multiple components. Really nice.

Well, I guess the EZFA and eCube software won't recognize the savegame because of the fact they're on the BGA chip?

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL, moving EPROM discussion out of here.

I found more of those carts online. Your experience may vary but 1 of the 3 carts didn't save (the hardware looked and the game acted like it was a bug in the game but maybe the SRAM was bad or something). At least they gave me a partial refund on the 3 carts. 2 carts with RTC and 1 cart without. They had very different board styles. I'll have to get a photo of the RTC-less board up - just look in the gallery I linked to since it's public. If you want more info, ask to be invited the private chat with raulpica and me.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM