Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to have a $19.99 DLC pack

zeldaheader2 (1).jpg

Nintendo's latest Zelda game has just gotten an interesting bit of news. The title will be launching with an Expansion Pass which will allow access to two DLC packs that will be available later this year in 2017. Pre-purchasing the Expansion Pass now will cause three treasure chests to appear in the world, with extra items. One of which being an outfit for Link, which has the Nintendo Switch logo on it. The first DLC pack for the game is set to launch this Summer, and will include a new Hard Mode, a challenge, and a new in-game map feature. The second pack will launch Holiday 2017 and will have a brand new Story addition and a new dungeon. Both the Switch and the Wii U will be getting these DLCs.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Nintendo Switch and Wii U consoles is one of the largest, most engaging video games Nintendo has ever created. While the main game offers players an engrossing quest that will keep them entertained for hours, as well as the freedom to explore the vast Hyrule at their own pace, the game world provides a rich canvas that offers the opportunity for additional adventures. As a result, the first-ever downloadable content for the main-line Legend of Zelda series is in development.

Starting when The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. (Graphic: Business Wire)

Starting when the game launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new treasure chests will appear in the game’s Great Plateau area. One of these treasure chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two will deliver useful items. The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer, and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map. The second content pack will launch in Holiday 2017, and adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and a new original story. The Expansion Pass will be available for both the Nintendo Switch and Wii U versions of the game and are identical. Content packs cannot be purchased individually.

“The world of Hyrule, which we created for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, is so large and vibrant that we wanted to offer more for players to experience within it,” said Nintendo developer Eiji Aonuma, the longtime producer of the series. “With this new Expansion Pass, we hope that fans will play, explore and enjoy the game even more.”

Aonuma also created a brief video to share more details about the Expansion Pass. It can be viewed at http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=4&md5=8eaa4ec7c77e62fcb4c0b16700a2b3ff.

For more information about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=5&md5=25c10a84a5cc09f20e1418056380e331.

Remember that Nintendo Switch features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=6&md5=7f0306c430dd0cf8360bf01681f9559d.

:arrow: Eiji Aonuma made a video to explain the DLC here

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's previous DLCs were perfectly fine, because they were just additional characters, or maps. This DLC however is not. There's a big difference.
Looks pretty optional to me. The base game comes with all of typical Zelda content and the story. The DLC is just additional shit. If you're a Zelda fan, I don't see why you wouldn't want to put $20 towards it.

This isn't Telltale games shit. They're not locking the plot behind paywalls. This is all perfectly optional content for people who enjoyed the game and want to experience more. The whole purpose of DLC.
The first DLC pack for the game is set to launch this Summer, and will include a new Hard Mode, a challenge, and a new in-game map feature. The second pack will launch Holiday 2017 and will have a brand new Story addition and a new dungeon. Both the Switch and the Wii U will be getting these DLCs.​

Last edited by Pluupy,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is essentially the "master quest"? After nearly a year of playing zelda, I'm fine with getting a master quest for 20 bucks.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Its called business, get used to it! Do you think then just because you see Zelda & Mario jumping around in a lovely bubbly world and a nice bright Nintendo logo in front of you makes you think that there a charity case? if you like it then buy it support the cause, if you don't then don't complain! moaning about the purchase price of $19.99 is a rip off to the end user is not going to get you it for free!!! anyway if you have a hacked wiiu you might just get that.... so yes don't complain I say.

Last edited by Reecey,

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Buy this already pretty expensive game and here some $20 DLC in total if you were to buy BOTW with the DLC it will cost you around $79.99

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo's previous DLCs were perfectly fine, because they were just additional characters, or maps. This DLC however is not. There's a big difference.
Skyrim: Say you dont get Dawnguard. Does it stop you from getting the dragon scroll? Or even hinder your vampire experience when it only give you a buff and prevent you from experiencing hunger? Or is Miraak absorbing the dragons you killed beneficial to your quest?

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not going to try to bash or defend this until we know more. Additional story could be anything from a small side quest to something bigger setting up the next game. And until we know what the dungeons in this game are like you can't really assign a value to a single dungeon.

Cave of Trials I don't mind being in DLC. I have the wolf link Amiibo but still haven't done that TP HD thing. Hard mode could be anything from Hero Mode in A Link Between Worlds to full on Master Quest. And what kind of map feature is worth paying extra for? That one really strikes me as odd.

Once we know more I might be fine with it and gladly pick it up like the Mario Kart 8 DLC. But the timing and vagueness are making me wary.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol @ the people who think this means BotW is incomplete all of a sudden, all of the notable conent is coming in the Holiday 2017 pack, it's not like they cut conent from the game, and the only exception is maybe the hard mode which still isn't coming until the summer, so just chill, if they cut it from the game you bet it would release in the spring.

Last edited by Monado_III,
Reactions: Supster131

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it would be cool if they actually did this. however it would need some kind of weird story to it... Like samus enters some kind of dimension rift or whatever and ends up in Hyrule :D and defeating ganon opens the rift back to her world.
I've played too much Project X Zone... :P
I've thought about a Zelda Metroid Crossover all my life, Samus ends up in Hyrule by traveling somehow to the past.... and Metroid are being released in ridiculous amounts all above earth (Hyrule is just a part of it) and Samus needs to kill whoever brought theme there, of course this would lead to the release of TWO different games, Zelda and Metroid games... different perspectives and facing different events... *0* but of course, Link will need the help of the Samus to kill both Ridley and Ganon... the Triforce will bless Samus Cannon xDDDD etc etc etc

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Still kind of a double standard though. Sony and MS doing it is okay, but Nintendo doing it is an unpardonable crime.
That is a good point. Maybe people saw Nintendo as their last bastion of what they perceive to be decency in marketing and business practices, and they're suddenly feeling betrayed by a turn which could be indicative of a new direction Nintendo will be permanently taking with their games, made all the more poignant after so much positive hype around both the new Zelda title and the Switch in general? I can't really say for sure; it's all just guesswork on my part, but at the least I can say that that's something that irks me even just a bit, at least on some level. The hate crowd against DLC has always been there, I feel, but it might be that the reason Nintendo is getting hit harder with DLC backlash than other companies have in the past is because people believed Nintendo to be "above" those kinds of practices. It also might be that people are becoming more and more unsettled by the idea of DLC the more publishers abuse the practice, and that the consumer crowd is just more tender to the idea of DLC abuse in general than they've been in the past.

Last edited by Meteor7,

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
20$?
Ok Nintendo, I supported you since the god damn NES. With those ripoff prices for a cartridge. I bleed my eyes with your Virtual boy and gimmick games that were priced like a small car.
I played through GB pokemon times when the game costed 6 months worth of my allowance.
I paid retarded prices for your controllers and all stupid shit that you put out with Wii.
I bought your damn overpriced 3ds on the launch day and bought a new 3ds because I believed you will actually release something for it.
But NO. I am not paying 20 f-kin dollars for something that should be included in the original game which will already cost a SHITLOAD of money.
Witcher 3, one of the most amazing, beautiful, complex and well done games I had the chance to play cost me 40$ on the day of the release. That is 20$ less than Zelda. And I wouldnt even be surprised if you say that, for optimal experience you need a pro controller....

And yes I am aware that Sony is doing same shit for some of their games. However I really didnt see this penis in the face coming from Nintendo...

PS: Witcher had all DLCs FREE if you purchased the original game. And they released 16 asswhooping 16 DLCs since release.

Last edited by fatsquirrel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte