Legend of Kay DS

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Jun 4, 2009.

Jun 4, 2009

Legend of Kay DS by granville at 10:05 AM (2,187 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I was browsing through IGN and found something interesting in the E3 news. A game called Legend of Kay listed for the DS. When I clicked the screen section, I was shocked to find what appears to be a gorgeous looking 3D action adventure. On further inspection, it seems to be either a port or sequel to a PS2 game, which got some rather decent reviews on Metacritic-

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/...gend%20of%20kay

The screens below should be taken with an enormous grain of salt. Everyone is very doubtful that the DS can handle this caliber of 3D graphics. The screens are presented in the correct DS resolution (256x192), but everyone here thinks IGN doctored the images themselves to deceive people into thinking it has the same graphics as the PS2 game. We have no confirmation or denial whether the screens are indeed real, but there is no doubt that they just look too good to be true. So I will keep them in this post, but read this knowing they may very well be fake. I'll see if I can contact anyone from IGN to see (doubt that will work though)

Anyways, the real thing to see here are the screens-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the big question- are these real DS graphics? The screens are in DS resolution- 256x192. They were just released yesterday whereas the PS2 game came out in 2005. I guess they are real, but are they concept art, or the real deal? I suppose real since they have a hud and everything. The real shocker though is the look of the game. The 3D appears not to have the pixellation that comes with most DS games due to lack of texture filtering. This game looks amazing, but I'll wait for clearer screens and videos. Could be a gem. I felt a game this impressive looking deserved to be posted, especially considering the PS2 version was well received.

http://ds.ign.com/objects/143/14351632_articles.html

No date yet.

2. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    FU.... CK... ING.... AWE....SOME!!!!

Wait... are those the screens? I don't think so since I see most DS games have the map in the unused screen instead. Hm.... wait and see I guess. But if its true, the graphics are really impossible and thus, this game will be epic-er than KH!

3. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    these are probably doctored screens. much like the upsized doctored screens of kh 358/2 i have. though they are real, pretty amazing.

4. granville
    OP

United States
    Well my apologies to anyone if these are fake, but they came from an official source and no work to denounce them at this time either. If word comes up to denounce them, mods may lock this.

5. Domination

Singapore
    [​IMG]

One of the IGN screens. The top and bottom screens don't really seem to have any link, top part is conversation but bottom is combat.

Edit: Some of the screens are the same as the ps2. [​IMG] IGN loves to give give false hope.

6. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
  7. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] these are my thoughts about it

8. granville
    OP

United States
    Well if it's fake, +1 for IGN being enormous asses. They not only would have posted screens from a PS2 game, they would have doctored the screens to look like DS resolution. At any rate, it's still a game announcement and there is no proof that the screens are NOT real. I'd like to see some more info soon.

9. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    Oh no! granville aren't you suppose to sleep many hours ago?

i hope this could be real~! i had always wanted to play this game during the ps2 era but missed that [​IMG]

10. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    there real shots

[​IMG]

11. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    sorry but I'm absolutely 1 million % sure that those aren't what the DS game will look like and am certain that the DS will NEVER be able to pull of textures/shading/large colour palette as that, I'm sorry but they're either concept art or just screens from the PS2 version

12. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    there is a picture on IGN that shows it on the DS, so it might be real, we need to wait and see.

13. Domination

Singapore
    I posted the picture earlier already and like I said, the top doesn't match the bottom unless its some kind of twisted new gameplay that lets you chat and battle at the same time.

The game could be real, but I'm sceptical about the graphics being this good.

14. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    lately i have become a little skeptical on news from forums/sites~!
    people could just joke about release date and etc

i guess we should sit on our couch to get the official confirmation

of course is great if those images are REAL... it would be the best graphic game ever made for DS

15. Domination

Singapore
    Yeah, but it'll be graphics that are impossible to see on DS. The KH videos are the best I see, but pretty much everything else falls short of "best".

I doubt the screens are true though, there are too many things about it that aren't likely.

Well, just have to wait for official screens or confirmation from our usual sources like Kotaku and Joystiq. (Gonintendo linked to IGN you know)

16. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    There is no way those are DS screenshots. Those are resized PS2 screenshots.

17. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    The screens included in the original post are not DS screenshots, that much is for certain. Now, the game may well be coming to DS, and those screens are likely taken from the PS2 version. But no, those are not screens of a DS game. Sorry.

18. LeonardoGolden

Member LeonardoGolden GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Contact did it [​IMG]

19. granville
    OP

United States
    I updated the original post with a warning that the screens might be fake. There's a possibility that they are even an intro video or something reusing footage from the PS2 game. That could explain why the game looks so good, but is at DS resolution. But it still doesn't have the blocky artifacts usually seen in DS video.

I sent a question to the IGN editors asking if the screens were real or asking for any information they could offer. I don't expect a quick answer if any answer at all. IGNorance and all. At any rate, the game IS coming to the DS, whether these screens are real or not. It's been confirmed on Gamespot as well. We'll see what the real game looks like soon enough I suspect.