Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
megazig said:
nice concise guide

as people said, I'd remove the hackmii installer and link people to their site.

as far as people saying too many guides is a bad thing, sure, but why not get rid of the other ones and keep this one
I respect your opinion and thoughts because I know that you are smarter than most on this forum. But I feel the reason to not have another guide is because too many choices can confuse a noob. Some noob can sit there and be like "Which guide should I do?" and then end up posting a new thread just asking what they should do. It happens anyways, but the more guides then the more confusing it is to people. There is no need for a new guide when the others are tried and true and this one will just get buried in the threads anyways. The other guides still work, so why have something else that "works" too. There is no need at all for this one. (No offense to slowking)

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't really speak for him ( only going by his post ), but I think he was going for a guide without bundled copyrighted IOS files.
(though he did add hackmii installer)

Slowking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
tj_cool said:
I'd watch out if I were you, from the hackmii website:
bootmii.org said:
All rights reserved. You may not sell or redistribute this software.
Meaning it's not just a request not to redistribute it...
Ah damn that short attention span. Didn't see that they have it as an actual rule on their website. I thought it ws just marcan bitching again.

I will look into downloading it with wget. I hpe those keys they use in the download link aren't bound to an IP or expire. If they are that's going to make this much harder...

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
it sounds like u are trying to re-invent the wheel

NUSAD already does all that

edit: and I have permission from TT!!!

edit2: honestly, this whole thing feels like a cheap knock off of NUS Auto Downloader... but w/e, its not like I can tell u to stop

btw, u can't use fsum, it's not legal to share, same goes for the hackmii installer, and bannerbombs
also, the version of WiiMC you include bundled in your package is one of the later versions which can randomly corrupt peoples hard drives

PS. some legal alternatives for FSUM which I use in NUS Auto Downloader are fvc and sfk... consider yourself lucky, I had to deal with a lot of shit over GPL, and I had to figure all this out myself the hard way.

Slowking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Like I said, NUSAD is imo a little too complicated for noobs. There has to be a reason why xzxero's guide is still pinned, even though it contains a lot of files with Nintendos copyright on it.

Btw. it would be nice if I wouldn't have to say this over and over again...

Btw. can you help me on downloading the hackmii isntaller from their website? How do you do it?
I have an idea, but that ould be really really complicated. So if you hae something easier, I would really appreciate it.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I will help u download the hackmii installer when and if a member of Team Twiizers tells you its okay to have your program download it... I personally spoke to Bushing and got his permission before I made NUSAD capable of downloading the hackmii installer.

I was about to just share that line of code with u, but then I thought better of it (I literally just deleted it from this post). I will still gladly help if you get their permission... otherwise, u can try to find that line of code in the source of NUSAD on your own

If u have any questions on anything else, I will try to help u answer them, but if they go against what NUSAD stands for (ie. my morals)... then u are on your own... and rule #1, is make sure the app is legal... u have about 3-4 legal breaches already just at a cursory glance (4 if u count bannerbomb v1 and v2 separately)
1) FSUM (see my last post for suggested replacements)
2) HackMii Installer
3) BannerBomb 1
4) BannerBomb 2

Oh yeah, I think if some1 finds NUSAD too complicated, they shouldn't be allowed to mod a wii. If you have any ideas to help me make it less complex, let me know.... but to be honest... I don't think it can be made easier... not without writing some code to make windows literally hold the noobs hand as he runs the app

Slowking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
XFlak said:
I will help u download the hackmii installer when and if a member of Team Twiizers tells you its okay to have your program download it... I personally spoke to Bushing and got his permission before I made NUSAD capable of downloading the hackmii installer.
Sorry but I really don't believe you. Your nusad enables backup loaders and team twiizers wouldn't help you with that. So either you spoke to them about a version of NUSAD that didn't have these functions yet or you deliberately didn't tell them.

Btw their website doesn't state anywhere that you can't download the installer from their website, so I don't have to ask fo premission. It's just like NUSD downloading crap from NUS. And the twiizers condone that.

Either way, I found out how it's done the easy way. wget is more powerfull than I thought.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Believe w/e u want to believe. When Bushing gave me permission, NUSAD was still using cIOS installers, and I directed him to this thread so he could read about or try nusad for himself. All he asked, was that I put a scam warning, and I respected his wishes (maybe u should add one too).

I don't know why u would assume I am lying... maybe u dont know me very well. Besides, all I stand to gain by lying is for some1 from TT to come tell me I'm lying... trust me, I don't have the balls to make up shit like getting permission from Bushing

And u are correct, technically u don't have to ask for permission. But u should still get it (or do u think they couldn't stop either of us from using wget to download it if them wanted to?)

Anyways, sorry if this is coming off harsh. But I would really like to see u make ur app totally legal. Once u do that, feel free to ask me for help or w/e, I don't mind (as long as I'm not busy).

Slowking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
QUOTE said:
I don't know why u would assume I am lying... maybe u dont know me very well. Besides, all I stand to gain by lying is for some1 from TT to come tell me I'm lying... trust me, I don't have the balls to make up shit like getting permission from Bushing
Well I assumed because I know TeamTwiizers very well and I know they usually don't condone anything that has to do with backup loaders.
But I know bushing is one of the moderates in the Team. So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you. That still doesn't mean that NUSAD is condoned by the whole TeamTwiizers. I'm pretty sure if you talk to marcan the outcome will be different.
wink.gif

Anywho. The automod.7z no longer contains the hackmii isntaller. Will update the download link in a minute.

yellowperil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Legally modify ????

Well from what I can gather you still nerf your warranty....

I thought that Home-brew didn't actually allow you do to anything but modify IOS, but you negate warranty, I maybe wrong here....

I don't really think there is a legality issue that people are interested in, most people want to know they wont kill there system whilst doing it, what
people are interested in a way to keep there warranty, which cannot be done when you soft mod you wii.

I know this is a bit off topic, but there is already a great tut on the site, just adding more will cause confusion.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yellowperil said:
Legally modify ????

Well from what I can gather you still nerf your warranty....

I thought that Home-brew didn't actually allow you do to anything but modify IOS, but you negate warranty, I maybe wrong here....

I don't really think there is a legality issue that people are interested in, most people want to know they wont kill there system whilst doing it, what
people are interested in a way to keep there warranty, which cannot be done when you soft mod you wii.

I know this is a bit off topic, but there is already a great tut on the site, just adding more will cause confusion.

Just because it breaks the warranty doesn't mean its illegal. A lot of electronic devices have "warranty stickers", which will break if you open them up, and if they are broken or removed, your warranty is void. But its perfectly legal to rip one off. Legality is nothing to do with warranty.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
My 2 cents regarding this guide, and all softmod guides... I share Darwins view, survival of the fittest baby.

Whatever guides are still around years from now are the best ones to follow. I think that's why the simplistic mod is still great (even if its a little illegal), it's been around longer than NUSAD, and even longer than the complete softmod guide. So it's hard to fully replace something as legendary as that, even if it is a little illegal.

And in the end, a little healthy competition is fine. To be honest, I don't think this app is anywhere near as good as the simplistic/complete softmod guides and especially not as good as NUSAD (no offense!), but other people may disagree. But the mere fact that this guide exists will likely light a fire under the asses of the people behind the other guides (myself included) to make their work that much better. It's Economics 101... perfect competition always betters the end consumer!

So basically, good luck slowking, you're now competing against the other top guides out there. I doubt you will capture a large 'market share', but who knows... nothing is impossible.

edit: can u tell I studied business or what? lol

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I said healthy competition!! And there's nothing wrong with that! Technically I am even competing with myself (NUSAD vs. the complete softmod guide) lol.

And we're all on the same team (I'll help xzxero, tj_cool, or slowking or whoever else if they need it!), but in the end, I'm sure each of us want people using our method/guides over someone else's... so yea, that sounds like a competition to me, even if its friendly.

Anyways, don't get me wrong, I have no problem recommending other guides that I know and trust (like the complete and simplistic softmod guides) and I have even done so on many occasions. tj_cool, xzxero and I all get along despite our friendly competition... in the end, we're all just trying to help people. Just like slowking.

My point behind the 'competition', is that there are already these 3 main guides to mod a wii, combined they probably account for 75% of what people use to mod their wii's (just a guess, some other people may use maurifrog's guides or pimpmywii). And if slowking expects people to use his method, he's going to 'steal' some people from that 75%. But in the end he's probably gotta have a minimum number of people using his method for him to justify spending more time on it. I'm certain that if only a dozen people used NUSAD (for example), I woulda stopped working on the project a long time ago.

on a side note... am I the only one who doesn't like using an automated sciifii installer? Its just that I don't like the idea of too much going on in the background without the user learning/knowing whats going on. But that's just me, maybe some people think its better that way, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

edit:
@slowking, sorry for hijacking this thread with offtopic banter. I'll try to refrain from doing so going forward. If you want my help with anything, ask and u will receive (just please first look at addressing those legal issues I pointed out earler)

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
squirrelman10 said:
so wait this is illegal for me to follow this guide i dont understand?
no it's not illegal to follow the guide

XFlak said:
Whatever guides are still around years from now are the best ones to follow. I think that's why the simplistic mod is still great (even if its a little illegal), it's been around longer than NUSAD, and even longer than the complete softmod guide. So it's hard to fully replace something as legendary as that, even if it is a little illegal.The Guide on it's own isn't really illegal, but the method it uses to share files could've been better (I'm personally against the email thing, but yeah).
Also, the guide I made for the Readmii of GX was created a little while before the Simplistic Mod, but I wouldn't call it "legendary" for that.

XFlak said:
My point behind the 'competition', is that there are already these 3 main guides to mod a wii, combined they probably account for 75% of what people use to mod their wii's (just a guess, some other people may use maurifrog's guides or pimpmywii). And if slowking expects people to use his method, he's going to 'steal' some people from that 75%. But in the end he's probably gotta have a minimum number of people using his method for him to justify spending more time on it. I'm certain that if only a dozen people used NUSAD (for example), I woulda stopped working on the project a long time ago.
I take it you mean on GBAtemp? We're not that popular at all on other sites.

QUOTE(XFlak @ Aug 25 2010, 06:57 PM)
on a side note... am I the only one who doesn't like using an automated sciifii installer? Its just that I don't like the idea of too much going on in the background without the user learning/knowing whats going on. But that's just me, maybe some people think its better that way, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I've always been against stuff like that (Just like I'm against combining too much functions in one app)

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
Whatever guides are still around years from now are the best ones to follow. I think that's why the simplistic mod is still great (even if its a little illegal), it's been around longer than NUSAD, and even longer than the complete softmod guide. So it's hard to fully replace something as legendary as that, even if it is a little illegal.

QUOTE(tj_cool @ Aug 25 2010, 02:51 PM) The Guide on it's own isn't really illegal, but the method it uses to share files could've been better (I'm personally against the email thing, but yeah).
Also, the guide I made for the Readmii of GX was created a little while before the Simplistic Mod, but I wouldn't call it "legendary" for that.

Let me preface this by saying, I don't mean this in a negative or condescending way, I am not trying to further start a flame war, and I mean it with the most respect possible. I'm just trying to understand your point of views. Perhaps I am missing something here, but what is the difference between emailing to get files vs having a program that gets files? Either way, they are not hosted on this site, and either way, the end result is the same, the person following the guide getting the "illegal" files.

-Erik

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
burritoboy9984 said:
XFlak said:

QUOTE(tj_cool @ Aug 25 2010, 02:51 PM) The Guide on it's own isn't really illegal, but the method it uses to share files could've been better (I'm personally against the email thing, but yeah).

Let me preface this by saying, I don't mean this in a negative or condescending way, I am not trying to further start a flame war, and I mean it with the most respect possible. I'm just trying to understand your point of views. Perhaps I am missing something here, but what is the difference between emailing to get files vs having a program that gets files? Either way, they are not hosted on this site, and either way, the end result is the same, the person following the guide getting the "illegal" files.

-Erik

The difference is that with the auto-reply email crap it is illegally redistributing files the guide creator has no right to redistribute, whereas with a tool that downloads them, they're taken straight from NUS, which is generally accepted as "legal", like with NUSD etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @AncientBoi, got excited when he heard about touch screen