Legalizing and normalizing selling game accounts in the near future?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently, this is still mostly illegal and unacceptable, but as long as both parties are happy with the agreement why not make it possible?

I assume there are people who have a Steam account, PSN, Nintendo, Ubisoft, EA, Epic (thanks to all those giveaways rather than buy them), etc who'd want to sell their account since they wouldn't use it anymore. The problem I'd see with it is that the owner would need to change the email to the new owner and remove any personal info, that's more or less it. I actually did that when I exchanged my Switch to a guy who gave me the Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Boxes (sold for way more than the Switch was worth).

Additionally, I know there's a website that sells PC games which you need to log in to an account though in that case that's sketchy as hell and I'd never use that website or recommend it to anyone. Here's an example of that website:

HvUWpIb.png

Hopefully these bad apples don't ruin it for the rest of customers who may want to legally sell their account and be done with it.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't buy it though, problem here is that they are selling you an account instead of the game code directly that you can add to your account, typically you would lose the game once they do chargeback.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's weird .. I thought it is quite common to buy and sell game account. In China there are huge game account trade platforms where people trade accounts of online games like Dungeon 'n Fighters, WoW, Final Fantasy IV, LOL etc.
Wow, that's something the West should adopt.

I wouldn't buy it though, problem here is that they are selling you an account instead of the game code directly that you can add to your account, typically you would lose the game once they do chargeback.
If it were from a trustworthy seller with solid feedback, there shouldn't be any issues buying it. I don't plan on selling my Steam account, but if I did I'd sell it as if it were no different than a physical game or Blu-ray/DVD.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that's something the West should adopt.

If it were from a trustworthy seller with solid feedback, there shouldn't be any issues buying it. I don't plan on selling my Steam account, but if I did I'd sell it as if it were no different than a physical game or Blu-ray/DVD.

Well when you buy steam games you want a key instead of an account, beside you don't want to keep switching account just for one game.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well when you buy steam games you want a key instead of an account, beside you don't want to keep switching account just for one game.
I mean, when selling an account it's for someone who doesn't have one.

There are PlayStation users with multiple PSN accounts (sometimes as much as five) due to region game discounts. That's too much, even two.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, when selling an account it's for someone who doesn't have one.

There are PlayStation users with multiple PSN accounts (sometimes as much as five) due to region game discounts. That's too much, even two.

Well it is different for steam, they don't allow people to do it, so if you did pay someone for their account you be wasting your money probably. I seen these pre-loaded game account before I never buy it, I rather own the right to the keys.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I agree with you on this, I prefer to get keys instead of random new account.
Ironically NFTs would be useful here. But still, Steam for example got the infrastructure already for this. I still feel if they took out a fee like 10% to Steam, 20% to the devs/publisher. Everyone would be happy.
So you sell it for 10$ and the buy need to pay the fees. It wouldn't be such a big burden. Paypal does it today for example.

Reactions: Hayato213

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ironically NFTs would be useful here. But still, Steam for example got the infrastructure already for this. I still feel if they took out a fee like 10% to Steam, 20% to the devs/publisher. Everyone would be happy.
So you sell it for 10$ and the buy need to pay the fees. It wouldn't be such a big burden. Paypal does it today for example.

Then again I wouldn't buy an account if I am not willing to buy a key from a keyshops instead of official stores.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck selling accounts. Rather you should be able to sell the Key/license for the game instead.
I agree.

They got us into a tight situation where we really have no say on selling a key or anything, but rather just keep it permanently. I guess back then no one thought about the hypothesis of people wanting to sell their digital purchases or they knew and went along with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: downloading a couple of puyo puyo ds games