Legality question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Chaorain, Jul 16, 2008.

Jul 16, 2008

Legality question by Chaorain at 6:24 PM (1,868 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Chaorain
    OP

Newcomer Chaorain Advanced Member

United States
    I have two questions.
    1. If I own a game am I allowed to download a rom of it?(by own I mean bought at Gamestop) I believe it is legal for that but I just want to be sure.
    2. If the answer to 1 is yes then I own the GameCube version of Legend of Zelda Master Quest can I download that rom?
    I AM NOT ASKING FOR THE ROM HERE

2. Jademalo

Member Jademalo GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    yeah, i believe the law is that you are allowed to own a backup of a came you own.

3. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    i think it depends on where you live for you to be able to do something like that, just do it no one really cares tbh, and its not a rom, its an ISO

4. mcj

Member mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What does this have to do with Wii Hacking?

5. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

It's illegal in the United States. You can, however, make a backup of the game yourself.

6. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The loose legality is that you are allowed one copy for archival purposes only.

Most restrictions go on to state that this copy must originate from the source you own, but being able to prove that is impossible, so they emphasize that an original must be in your posession for as long as you retain that copy.

Transfer of ownership also requires that you either destroy that copy or include it with the original.

In any case, it's a total mess and I don't think they're going to complain if you want to download the entire library of N64 roms.

7. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    You can't legally download the ROM, if you own it or not.

8. Chaorain
    OP

United States
    thank you very much.

9. RoboClover

Newcomer RoboClover Advanced Member

United States
    yeah if you go to nintendo's legal page they're pretty clear that ROMs are badbadbad and youre not supposed to have em no matter what, regardless of whether or not you own the game...

not that ive ever heard of anyone but sites that host ROMs getting in trouble for doin anything with them; everything is so muddy and everyone is really confused about it, so its a bit like limewire...its not exactly legal, but its not exactly punished/enforced...nobody is getting in any huge trouble either way...

its like teq says, its pretty unlikely you'll hear from anyone even if you were to fill your harddrive with nothing but ROMs...the worst ive heard of is ROM hosting sites being asked to shut down

10. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    ROMs = illegal in the United States
    Backups = also illegal in the United States

Look in the front or back of just about any game manual that comes with your games. "Copying of any Nintendo game is illegal and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international intellectual property laws. 'Back-up' or 'archival' copies are not authorized and are not necessary to protect your software. Violators will be prosecuted."

The idea that backups are okay is false. It was rumor, just like that "it's okay to have ROMs if you delete them within 24 hours" rumor.

11. pokemongalaxy

Banned pokemongalaxy Banned

Canada
    how would someone even know u have the original?

12. pokemongalaxy

Canada
    DOES ANYONE have the answer for my question? I mean seriously, howd someone know if u actually own the game? Cant u just say, like "I lost it" or "it broke, thats why I had a backup" or something? SERIOUSLY? [​IMG] srry, just really wanna know >_<
    @lacius(edit) : backups are legal in canada

13. BurlyEd

Member BurlyEd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There is a difference between Legal in a criminal sense and being subject to a civil lawsuit.
    If you try to sell counterfeit copies of a game, movie album or handbag, you may be in trouble with the Police.
    If you share your copy of a movie or album, you may be in jeopardy from the RIAA, MPAA or MAFIAA.
    I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for sharing copies of games, audio books, pr0n, software, books or pictures.
    I do not believe there is ANY danger from Downloading any of these things.
    Sharing may make you subject to a lawsuit and selling may be a criminal offence.
    I am not a lawyer, but I play one on TV (joke).
    Making or owning a copy of almost anything is OK. Sharing is BAD 'mkay? Selling is a nono.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. pokemongalaxy

Canada
    so piracy for personal use is legal? I dont need the original thing to have a backup? is that what youre saying?

15. mcj

Member mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Once again, nothing to do with Wii hacking here! And now people are getting the wrong info & ideas.

No - Piracy for so called "personal use" is not legal. Piracy is Piracy, and it's illegal no matter what.

And roms are illegal. Simple as that.

This crap really should be shut down

16. pokemongalaxy

Canada
    but still, how would someone know if you have the original?

17. Chaorain
    OP

United States
    wait I found this on another site.
    Zophar
    Check it out