Hacking Legal Status of flash cards in Hong Kong?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,541
  • Replies 25
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
Hello, 3ds n00b here, I'm planning to hack my 3ds soon with NTRboot, cuz I wanna "backup" my games that I 'legally' own.

ohwhoamikiddingimgonnapirateeverygameontheeshop.

but I live in an area of the world where I can't get flashcards. But, lucky me, I'm gonna be heading to Hong Kong.

I'm heading to Hong Kong soon, so basically, here's my list of questions.

1. I have info that in Hong Kong, flashcards are cheeeeaaappp. Is this true or no?

2. If yes, Where do I find them? (No shady areas plz.)

3. Probably my most important question: what is the legal status of these? I've heard how sellers are getting arestted for having this stuff. Will I get put on some kind of watchlist? Basically, is it safe to buy flashcards in Hong Kong?

Reactions: Diamond Gaming

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello, 3ds n00b here, I'm planning to hack my 3ds soon with NTRboot, cuz I wanna "backup" my games that I 'legally' own.

but I live in an area of the world where I can't get flashcards. But, lucky me, I'm gonna be heading to Hong Kong.

1. I have info that in Hong Kong, flashcards are cheeeeaaappp. Is this true or no?

3. Probably my most important question: what is the legal status of these? I've heard how sellers are getting arestted for having this stuff. Will I get put on some kind of watchlist? Basically, is it safe to buy flashcards in Hong Kong?
Flashcarts are available in US though.

Reactions: Deleted-379826

m00k00

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i dont think there's such thing as a place where pirating games is considered legal

I guess you haven't been to Russia then, yet ... they sell burnt CDs/DVDs and BluRays in the Streets and on the Markets there :D

Althought that might also not be legal there, it's virtually never prosecuted:ph34r:

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I can't speak for any Asian countries but I doubt you'll be put on any kind of watch list.

You could always get a trust member or friend living abroad to buy one and send it to you. If you want to get things like flashcards or perky books or something into a country which usually won't like them, just package them with something else and it's less likely to get stopped at customs.

Hell, you can import banned games into New Zealand and customs don't even give a damn. Maybe they would if they opened the packages but they almost never do. Not that I know from experience or anything.

I wouldn't worry too much though. A flashcard in and of itself isn't piracy so even if you got caught with one, you'd probably get a slap on the wrist at worst (I'm being wishy-washy with my language because I don't know exactly where you live and there are obviously some countries that ban and censor everything these days, so it's hard to say for sure).

Reactions: Deleted User

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's illegal, even in China, not to mention HK or JP.

BUT I seriously doubt you will get prosecuted in any of the above for purchase one. The cops got more important things to do other than prosecute a foreigner. It's not like the US where they can just shoot you before read your rights.

TL;DR, you are safe. Just make sure you got a legit version of the card, not some knock-offs. Happens pretty common in Asia.

(And I'd recommend you just soft/hard mod your 3DS, way faster and easier. Flashcards are slow and problematic, and you can't really create your own backups w/o CFW.)

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
It's illegal, even in China, not to mention HK or JP.

BUT I seriously doubt you will get prosecuted in any of the above for purchase one. The cops got more important things to do other than prosecute a foreigner. It's not like the US where they can just shoot you before read your rights.

TL;DR, you are safe. Just make sure you got a legit version of the card, not some knock-offs. Happens pretty common in Asia.

(And I'd recommend you just soft/hard mod your 3DS, way faster and easier. Flashcards are slow and problematic, and you can't really create your own backups w/o CFW.)

Whoops, meant to say I'm gonna get cfw THROUGh ntrboot, lol.

Thanks for all the replies btw.

KoalaBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I guess you haven't been to Russia then, yet ... they sell burnt CDs/DVDs and BluRays in the Streets and on the Markets there :D

Althought that might also not be legal there, it's virtually never prosecuted:ph34r:

lol is this a joke? come to brazil and you'll see what is the true meaning of piracy

i'm just pointing out the fact that piracy is illegal regardless of how much your country is willing to make the law count

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

are you kidding with me?
as he said
come to brazil little fella, we always had such thing here XD
did russia sell new super mario bros as a windows game? hahahaha

roytam1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong

1. It is cheap, but not cheaper than in China.

2. Goto game shops in Sham Shui Po and ask for R4, they will get one for you (normally)

3. It is illegal but C&ED(Customs and Excise Department) inactively taking actions.

Diamond Gaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i love your honesty

Randy95354

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because laws. Take a look at the legislation in Japan, many EU countries, perhaps the USA?, etc.

I dont think so ive been working during multiple piracy busts at different flea markets they dont bother all the vendors selling r4s etc... and theres alot of them they go after dvds and music copyrighted everytime not once have they bothered with flashcards being sold out on display everywhere no games no firmware no problem.

donut32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Go to Golden Computer Centre in Sham Shui Po, or 188 Computer Centre in Wan Chai.

Both places won’t necessarily display cards at their stalls/shops but you can ask. They’ll say yes or no if they stock them. You’ll have to do a bit of digging around.

I live in HK but still ordered my card online though! Easier.

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
in asian countries, you can pretty much buy it almost in any technology focused shopping malls, even a game shop that sells legit games also sells flashcards.
not to mention that they are twice as cheaper (even the legit r4 ones) compare that you see in a online or retail shops in US.

Last edited by remlei,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey