Legacy of Ys: Books I & II

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by gettogaara, May 25, 2009.

May 25, 2009

Legacy of Ys: Books I & II by gettogaara at 5:12 PM (1,013 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. gettogaara
    OP

Member gettogaara GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This looks like a decent rpg game is it fun? I notice that it got decent reviews and a decent scores. Critics:7.2 Users:8.0
    So I just want to hear a little bit about this game and what its like.

2. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Honestly I had it and it's not worth the money. Outside of them adding a convenient map to one of the panels it's a waste of money if you couldn't get the nice audio cd with it. You're better off just doing the original complete intended form on the TG16 CD that's on the Virtual Console for $8.

The one exception console/handheld wise I think you could make may be the upcoming PSP version late this year as it's more or less the most 'complete' form of it made for the PC (or you could just get that too.)

3. gettogaara
    OP

United States
    So then its not really all that then huh?

4. Djay187

Member Djay187 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I found it to be pretty fun, you can use the stylus to control your man and you basically run into the enemies to kill them. The maps, dungeons are fairly large and the graphics are ok.
    If you've had enough of menus popping up every time a battle starts and you don't want a huge complex rpg then this might be for you.

5. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    I kinda liked it. But it feels pretty plain cos you use your stylus, You can just zip through the screen banging into the monsters quickly and then you can level up quickly. The boss battles... you had to figure out how to fight them yourself or you could look at guides( Try attacking the centipede head on) The story was ok.... level designs were ok. The game has pretty plain graphics.

6. gettogaara
    OP

United States
    Wait so do you play as just one character or can you play as more then one or do you have a party?

7. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    You only play as the red hair dude present in any Ys games called Adol (in BK I... Bk II I haven't played yet)

8. gettogaara
    OP

United States
    Wow that sucks well I don't think I would be that intrested in this game then can someone please tell me a good game where your in a party.

9. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Its a pretty poor version of Ys I and II. If you have access to the virtual console version you should get it instead. The characters and monster sprites look fine, but the 3D maps look hideous. Also the classic "running into enemy" feels somewhat different. Overall I have played worse, but its hardly worthy of the Ys name. Maybe because I have played like 4 ports of it over the years my expectations were too high. If its the only version you have access to I would say go for it just to hear the music alone.

10. Djay187

Member Djay187 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    If you want action rpg's where your in a party try the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles games, also Soma Bringer(though you only control one character, but your in a party). There's a few if you don't mind turn based there's loads more, FF, Dragon Quest, Magical Starsign etc. The World Ends With You is my favourite rpg it's got a totally original control system and it's set in modern Japan, completely different to anything else.

11. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    You want a party game that's an RPG or actionRPG?

RPG=Chrono Trigger (you get a lot to choose from as you find them)
    ARPG=FFCC Ring of Fates or the newer Echoes of Time but it's not as fun.