Gaming Left For Dead DLC --- FREE FOR PC & 360!!

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: I'm sharing this info more for the FREE sake of 360 DLC rather than the PC version
tongue.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2234/

---
February 11, 2009 — The recently announced Left 4 Dead Downloadable Content (L4D DLC) will be delivered to Xbox 360 and PC gamers free of charge.

Due for release this spring, the DLC for 2008's best-selling new game property on the PC and Xbox 360, is dubbed the L4D Survival Pack and introduces a new multiplayer game mode entitled, Survival, plus two complete campaigns for Versus Mode (Death Toll, Dead Air). A Critic's Choice Edition of the game will be heading to retail stores this spring, and will include access to all the content introduced in the L4D: Survival Pack.

Left 4 Dead is a survival action game from Valve that blends the social entertainment experience of multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress with the dramatic, narrative experience made popular in single player action game classics such as the Half-Life series of games. Released in November of 2008, L4D has earned over 25 industry awards from outlets around the world.

For more information, please visit www.l4d.com
---

Dunno if we all knew, and if so, sorry for a repost (i checked
tongue.gif
), and if not... Yay for new... news!

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Wow, I really thought that M$ would fuck people over and charge people for this DLC, but I'm happy to see that I was wrong. Still doesn't matter to me though seeing as the update was going to be free for the PC version anyway.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
See whats happening here? You'll need a real copy! I bet a lot more people are going to buy the game to get the "free" stuff.

Erm... why would you need a real copy?

I mean, if you're playing online with an "unlicensed copy" (as it were)... wouldn't you just be able to download a cracked patch then too?
(or in the case of playing a burnt copy of the 360... wouldn't it just let you d-load the patch as its a "real game" in the 360's eyes?)

ctkxtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The extra content is always free, and was always going to be free anyway. Also PC users are getting the Source SDK for the game so they can make new campaigns and levels.

WildWon said:
playallday said:
See whats happening here? You'll need a real copy! I bet a lot more people are going to buy the game to get the "free" stuff.

I mean, if you're playing online with an "unlicensed copy" (as it were)... wouldn't you just be able to download a cracked patch then too?
(or in the case of playing a burnt copy of the 360... wouldn't it just let you d-load the patch as its a "real game" in the 360's eyes?)

Hahahaha, good luck trying to pirate with any games on Steam. It's not that it's impossible, it's just that most people don't do it because of how useless it is.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
playallday said:

Correct.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ctkxtreme said:
The extra content is always free, and was always going to be free anyway. Also PC users are getting the Source SDK for the game so they can make new campaigns and levels.
---
Hahahaha, good luck trying to pirate with any games on Steam. It's not that it's impossible, it's just that most people don't do it because of how useless it is.

Yea, it was always free on PC. Valve is good like that. Microsoft is not, though. A LOT of games have tried for free DLC, but M$ wants the almighty dollar. Its business, yes, but a FREE 360 download is pretty big.

Also, you don't pirate the Steam game and *play it on steam* There are other ways of playing those games. Not getting into it here (cause its not legal
tongue.gif
) but its possible.

playallday said:
But won't you get banned if you try to use a downloaded game online
huh.gif
?

Playing a yarrr'd Steam game via Steam will not work. There are other methods. Playing burnt 360 game on XBL, as long as you have a GOOD burn, works just like a "real" game. How would they tell if you bought it or burnt it? (if its bad, or the update their copyright protection, then maybe, but for now, its pretty easy heh)

Jytach said:
QUOTE(WildWon @ Feb 11 2009, 10:20 PM)
This was more for the fact that... its FREE on 360. M$ isn't charging for this. Its a Christmas miracle!

It's valve after all
smile.gif

To say it again (in this post lol), yea, Valve is THE shit when it comes to games and taking care of their customers, no doubt. Microsoft isn't that way lol.

---

Just so everyone from here on out catches, this post was more for the 360 side of things, than the PC.

D

Deleted User

Thanks for the heads up Wildwon. I just received my copy of Left 4 Dead yesterday and played only the first campaign in split screen co-op, but I have to say it's a great game.

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Great news. I remember reading an interview where one of the producers was saying how they wanted it to be free, but Microsoft was going to make 360 owners pay.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
Thanks for the heads up Wildwon. I just received my copy of Left 4 Dead yesterday and played only the first campaign in split screen co-op, but I have to say it's a great game.

No prob
smile.gif
And yes, its a fun fun game. Will you be joining in on any of the many nights of XBL online play that everyone seems to enjoy?
(which i'll be joining w/in the next month... cannot wait!

QUOTE(cupajoe @ Feb 11 2009, 04:12 PM) Great news. I remember reading an interview where one of the producers was saying how they wanted it to be free, but Microsoft was going to make 360 owners pay.

Yup, i read the same thing at one point, and thats why i'm so overly excited about this news.
I'm guessing Microsoft is learning that there are some companies out there, that they DON'T need to nickle and dime customers... because that company (Valve in this case) is that damned good.

Valve & Blizzard are the only two companies at this point, that if i hear about a game (and the premise is up my alley), i'll buy it w/out waiting on reviews. Both of those companies do NOT put out a shitty product.

Wish i could say the same for EA (and others lol)

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
cupajoe said:
Great news. I remember reading an interview where one of the producers was saying how they wanted it to be free, but Microsoft was going to make 360 owners pay.
For a second I thought you said "Microsoft was going to make 360 owners play."
unsure.gif

Is the date known yet?

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WildWon said:
Valve & Blizzard are the only two companies at this point, that if i hear about a game (and the premise is up my alley), i'll buy it w/out waiting on reviews. Both of those companies do NOT put out a shitty product.
And you can bet that if they did put something out that has less than desired quality, it will receive a rather serious amount of attention, patching and additional content in comparison to other titles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/