Left For Dead DLC --- FREE FOR PC & 360!!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by WildWon, Feb 11, 2009.

Feb 11, 2009
  1. WildWon
    OP

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    EDIT: I'm sharing this info more for the FREE sake of 360 DLC rather than the PC version [​IMG]

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2234/

---
    February 11, 2009 — The recently announced Left 4 Dead Downloadable Content (L4D DLC) will be delivered to Xbox 360 and PC gamers free of charge.

Due for release this spring, the DLC for 2008's best-selling new game property on the PC and Xbox 360, is dubbed the L4D Survival Pack and introduces a new multiplayer game mode entitled, Survival, plus two complete campaigns for Versus Mode (Death Toll, Dead Air). A Critic's Choice Edition of the game will be heading to retail stores this spring, and will include access to all the content introduced in the L4D: Survival Pack.

Left 4 Dead is a survival action game from Valve that blends the social entertainment experience of multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress with the dramatic, narrative experience made popular in single player action game classics such as the Half-Life series of games. Released in November of 2008, L4D has earned over 25 industry awards from outlets around the world.

For more information, please visit www.l4d.com
    ---

Dunno if we all knew, and if so, sorry for a repost (i checked [​IMG]), and if not... Yay for new... news!

2. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    Oh how lame. Cool that it's free and all but don't we already have those maps?

3. Akoji

Member Akoji +5 internets to psyfira for avatar.

Canada
    Yeah but 2 of them were not playable.
    And Survival Mode is a brand new way to play the game.

4. WildWon
    OP

United States
    This was more for the fact that... its FREE on 360. M$ isn't charging for this. Its a Christmas miracle!

5. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Wow, I really thought that M$ would fuck people over and charge people for this DLC, but I'm happy to see that I was wrong. Still doesn't matter to me though seeing as the update was going to be free for the PC version anyway.

6. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    See whats happening here? You'll need a real copy! I bet a lot more people are going to buy the game to get the "free" stuff.

7. WildWon
    OP

United States
    Erm... why would you need a real copy?

I mean, if you're playing online with an "unlicensed copy" (as it were)... wouldn't you just be able to download a cracked patch then too?
    (or in the case of playing a burnt copy of the 360... wouldn't it just let you d-load the patch as its a "real game" in the 360's eyes?)

8. ctkxtreme

Member ctkxtreme GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The extra content is always free, and was always going to be free anyway. Also PC users are getting the Source SDK for the game so they can make new campaigns and levels.

Hahahaha, good luck trying to pirate with any games on Steam. It's not that it's impossible, it's just that most people don't do it because of how useless it is.

9. Prophet

Member Prophet Resident Black Militant

United States
    Correct.

10. playallday

Canada
    But won't you get banned if you try to use a downloaded game online [​IMG] ?

11. Jytach

Member Jytach GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    It's valve after all [​IMG]

12. WildWon
    OP

United States
    To say it again (in this post lol), yea, Valve is THE shit when it comes to games and taking care of their customers, no doubt. Microsoft isn't that way lol.

---

Just so everyone from here on out catches, this post was more for the 360 side of things, than the PC.

13. playallday

Canada
    Oh yeah, I forgot that most games are OK to play online... Oops.

14. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Thanks for the heads up Wildwon. I just received my copy of Left 4 Dead yesterday and played only the first campaign in split screen co-op, but I have to say it's a great game.

15. cupajoe

Member cupajoe Have a cup of joe!

United States
    Great news. I remember reading an interview where one of the producers was saying how they wanted it to be free, but Microsoft was going to make 360 owners pay.

16. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    I heard a rumor there suppose to be a flamethrower as a DLC. It's only a rumor.

17. WildWon
    OP

United States
    Yup, i read the same thing at one point, and thats why i'm so overly excited about this news.
    I'm guessing Microsoft is learning that there are some companies out there, that they DON'T need to nickle and dime customers... because that company (Valve in this case) is that damned good.

Valve & Blizzard are the only two companies at this point, that if i hear about a game (and the premise is up my alley), i'll buy it w/out waiting on reviews. Both of those companies do NOT put out a shitty product.

Wish i could say the same for EA (and others lol)

18. playallday

Canada
    For a second I thought you said "Microsoft was going to make 360 owners play." [​IMG]

Is the date known yet?

19. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    And you can bet that if they did put something out that has less than desired quality, it will receive a rather serious amount of attention, patching and additional content in comparison to other titles.

20. yardsman

Newcomer yardsman Member

United States
    Awesome that it will be free, but makes me wonder why they can't do the same for the TF2 updates