Leaving your DSL plugged in doesn't work, right?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by falco123, Aug 9, 2006.

1. falco123
    OP

Member falco123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    After the orange light goes out, if you leave the DS plugged in, does it run off the battery or the ac adapter? I say this because even if I charge it full, if I unplug and replug after playing for a while, it takes a while to recharge.

2. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Battery I think. All the adapter does (unless I'm mistaken) is recharge it, and that's it.

That's why it says in the manual that you can play while it's plugged in, but your battery will charge slower.

3. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    I thought that it let you play off the charger.....

When my DS is totally dead, I plug it in and can right away start playing again. And it's normal for it to take a while to charge even after playing after a short time. It's because the battery is never charged to 100%, it harms the battery to be at an extreme high. If you plug it in and let it charge to full and the light goes off, unplug it and then plug it back in, it will start charging again, but its probably not too good for the battery. I don't know how much damage it gets, but if its more than 0, thats too much damage for me.

4. kvad

Member kvad GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    If you mess too much with li ion batteries like that they may blow up on you [​IMG]

5. Rayout

Member Rayout GBAtemp Regular

United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_b...on_battery_life

Keeping your lithium ion batteries fully charged is the best option for the DSL since you will be actively playing it.

Don't let it become fully depleted as that harms the batteries max capacity.

There is a reason that battery takes longer to charge from 90%-->100% than from 10%-->20%, and that is physics. Due to the fact that electrons repel each other, it takes more work to charge a battery with a high charge than a battery with a low charge, and the ac adapter is only capable of putting out the same amount of power at a given time. Hope this helps!

Edit: I'm only saying that it takes longer over a relative and equal gain in charge (10%-->20% versus 90%-->100%). Of course its going to take the longest to charge from 10%-->100% compared to 90%-->100%.

Edit 2: After RTFA (hehe) in wikipedia it says (though without citations, so it may be questionable) that leaving a fully charged Lith-ion battery plugged in can ccause overheating and explosions, but the DS cuts the charging after its fully charged so I don't believe you need to worry about this. Also I haven't heard about explosions when it comes to third party DS batteries (which has been an issue with cellphone batteries) so go ahead and take a look at those if you want to buy a battery with bigger capacity/etc. Keep in mind that batteries from different manufacturers have different decay rates (wiki claims that its 20% capacity loss/year for a battery kept fully charged) but I've seen 3rd party bats as low as $5 for the DSL so I'm not too worried about the loss of battery life.

6. gryto

Member gryto GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Also, the battery does not become fully depleted. The DS turns off when the battery reaches a low (not empty) level, so you don't need to worry about that.

7. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Yeah, then you can turn it back on and play for another hour or two (which I have done before [​IMG])

8. Deaddy

Member Deaddy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    You can play through the adapter and it will be charging at the same time, like every other product from the last few years. Everything says it will charge slower if you're playing. And I doubt playing will draw from the battery even after the light goes out but that's an assumption, I don't really know.

9. WK416

Member WK416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hmm. What I do is when it's finished charging (light goes off) is that I turn the DS on, unplug it, then replug it in. Not sure if this does anything bad, but the light goes off after a few milliseconds when I turn off the DS.

10. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Try removing the batterry, plugging the charger in, and turning on the DSL. See if it works. If it does, it plays off the charger, and not the battery, even though the orange light isn't on.

11. bryehn

Member bryehn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    i tried removing the battery. doesn't work.

12. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    the battery has to be installed in order to complete the circuit. you could probably bridge the two contacts in the battery compartment and attempt to play your ds off of the charger, but I wouldn't recommend it.