Leaving anti-piracy on on purpose?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Ziggy Zigzagoon, Mar 21, 2011.

Mar 21, 2011
  1. Ziggy Zigzagoon
    OP

Member Ziggy Zigzagoon GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    A lot of you know of the ingenious measures against piracy, not every one actually freezing your game, but restricting gameplay in different ways. I wonder how many of you purposefully left on the more interesting anti-piracy measures?

For example, I read that a few people actually wanted the vuvuzela sound effects with their Michael Jackson: The Experience ROMs (since the anti-piracy measure was to replace the music/gameplay sounds with vuvuzela noises). Also, I found the no-XP measure in Pokemon Black/White so interesting; I plan on playing the White ROM one day with the anti-piracy measure on (similar to how the EXP Zero ability works in Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix.), instead relying on catching Pokemon in incrementally higher levels.

(I know; this is weird...)

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I can not say I have ever done it with AP but I have certainly hacked roms and made cheats to similar ends.

3. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    Earthbound's AP is a common target for this. Many enable it to farm weak enemies (as it spawns extra enemies) and disable it during "checkpoints" at which it crashes the game.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  5. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
  6. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Phantasy Star 0 made equipment drops hard to get and rare items almost impossible... it was kinda fun at first.

7. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Lol yeah. Until I got tired of using my basic "saber" with +2 attack. [​IMG]

That was really good though. I Still think Earthbound's AP and Black/White's AP are the best though.

8. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I would buy decent equips from the shop... I think I might actually start playing again lol.

9. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    In Batman AA, they actually made a bug that wouldn't let you progress. It had to do with zip lining to a vent. You couldn't do it.

10. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I thought you couldn't glide or something. I remember reading it in an article a while ago.

And if the AP is actually funny or challenging, it gives the company a better impression. Remember what happened when Ubisoft went all hardcore AP with DRM on Assassin's Creed II and the like? People hated them like all hell. They were hellbent on cracking it and people refused to buy the game and pirate it instead, mainly because DRM was just shitty. You put something that adds challenge to the game (like Pokemon's AP or Earthbound's AP) or something that's humorous (like Michael Jackson: The Experience) and you'll probably get at least some nice reception from the pirating community.

Or just completely forget about AP like Borderlands. My friend said they openly said they weren't gonna bother with anti-piracy and a lot of people actually avoided pirating it for that reason. That's what he said.

11. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    It was online, wasn't it? We should play together. [​IMG]

12. Ziggy Zigzagoon
    OP

Member Ziggy Zigzagoon GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    Those two are different challenges. While both AP and Nuzlocke require you to catch and "dispose of" a lot of Pokémon, Nuzlocke requires you to catch ONLY 1 Pokémon per area and, indirectly, level them up a lot. The AP does the opposite: since you cannot get XP, you need to catch a lot of Pokémon instead.

More on this thread itself, I am surprised at this new light on the gaming business.