Learning how to argue

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by leafeon34, Mar 26, 2016.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Arguments are something I've learned to avoid because I tend to be the one who ends up being lost for words and feeling both frustrated and humiliated.

In general you should avoid arguing because even if you win the argument the person you've humiliated will make you his or her enemy. But then there are some occasions where you should argue.

I don't think arguing is about being able to come up with something to say on the spot. Its more about memorising a script and recalling the correct line when you find yourself put on the spot.

But how to learn this magic script?

2. 0x40

0x40 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2013
    There's no "magic script" that'll just magically make you win arguments. If you're serious about learning to argue, just read a few books on it.

3. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    You need to consider what is your objective having the argument; do you think you can convince them? Are you convincing the audience? Are you presenting a convincing argument? Are you simply defending your feelings? Does the audience know of your sympathies? Do you WANT the audience to know how you sympathize with other points of views?

4. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Arguing anonymously on the internet 101.

Step 1. Start slinging insults.

Step 2. You win.

5. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Giving your point, in calm and respect, is the best way to argue.
    There's nothing bad at being wrong too.

If you feel that the argument is getting nowhere, just move on.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it doesn't mean that their opinion isn't bullshit.

6. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    There is no 'magic script' lol.
    You either know what you're talking about, or you dont.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

that's debating. Which is far more respectful than argueing.

7. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Mostly true, but arguments can be civil.
    (Also, "@VinsCool For Mod Already..". How do you even become a mod, anyway?)

8. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The staff decide who to offer the position to when they have an opening. Can't hurt to show support for someone.

9. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Okay, just asking. I had actually been wondering this for quite some time, so I figured I'd ask.

WeedZ likes this.
  10. Manuel9181

Manuel9181 GBAtemp Prosecutor

May 26, 2015
    Italy
    Expose with calm your argument looking absolutely sure about what are you saying (pay attention to don't say something stupid). If one of your interlocutors want intervene, close your mouth and listen accurately what he's going to say. In this way you'll find eventually errors of his exposition. At this point you have to rebut with "pathos" demolishing the exposition of your interlocutor pointing out those mistakes aforementioned.

Font: I'm a law student :yay:

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I had always treated debates as a somewhat more formal, possibly with set goals. Back on topic

Step 1. Don't give a damn about the result. I find this easy, some people have passion, compassion, emotions and all that nonsense though. Others would phrase that as keep calm. You expressed worry about humiliating someone else, assuming they are not going to stab you for it then don't worry.

Step 2. Good memory helps here. If you are lurching from point to point then you are almost always going to be on the defensive. Bring up earlier points and positions.

Step 3. Most times the subject in question is well worn ground. Learn all the various threads of logic -- if we are debating evolution then it is not enough to know the science of evolution but also the opponent might come at you with "Ten questions to ask your biology teacher about evolution" so you learn those and their failings.
    Related to this is be you own devil's advocate, some would say put yourself in their shoes but eh really.

Step 4. Learn your fallacies. If you are not above using one then learn to use them as well, though probably best not to do it in a debate. http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

Step 5. A great song once said "Some drop science, well I'm droppin' English", why not both? Kind of hard to argue with what is, and an old teachers' trick is being able to skim read and argue something. The latter is hard and is why we sometimes see people try to shoot down in a couple of paragraphs what some have presumably spent 5 years researching and 10 years before then learning about it all to be able to spend said 5 years doing the research.

This could go on but start with those for now.

Pluupy, WeedZ and VinsCool like this.
  12. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    I'm reading the dictionary every now and then. I usually use words that are uncommon for people around my age to use so whenever I get into an argument, the one I argue with ends up just walking away because he/she could not understand what I just said.

Seriel likes this.
  13. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    You shouldn't have a script memorized, you should instead know the topic your are arguing. If you don't know what you're arguing, you've already lost.

nxwing, Pluupy and WeedZ like this.
  14. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States

Just copy them! You sound more srs when you scream the same thing over and over again.

15. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Say "China" and "Islam" often enough and you'll have a cult following at your disposal

16. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    This is how you win arguments on GBATEMP.

[​IMG]

17. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Not quite. This happens only when you are involved, for some reason, lol.

18. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    For me, someone who has a ridiculous tendency to argue until I have the last word, the key is to be belligerent. Even when your have fallen far, far off of the cliff of reason and have nothing to support your stance on, you have to at least reconcile yourself to some extent and prevent humiliation. Someone will get tired of the argument eventually; don't let it be you.

nxwing and VinsCool like this.
  19. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That said, though, one of the best strengths you can have is accepting when you're wrong and addressing it and apologizing for it

VinsCool likes this.
  20. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Oh absolutely. But you have to save face somehow. I'm not one for just calling myself an idiot in the middle of a heated discussion. I take that shit to my grave.

nxwing, VinsCool and TotalInsanity4 like this.