Legend
OP
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
Leap Motion has created a new device, called the Leap, it claims is 200 times more accurate than existing technology.
It's about the size of a pack of gum, and once connected to your computer via USB, it creates a four-cubic-foot virtual workspace. Within that area, it tracks all ten of your fingers simultaneously to within 1/100 of a millimeter -- that level of accuracy allows for rudimentary gestures like pinch-to-zoom and more complex actions like manipulating 3D-rendered objects. Leap Motion claims that its software can be embedded in almost anything with an onboard computer, from phones to refrigerators.
Leap brings you this next-gen UX for a mere $69.99, and a select few can pre-order them now, with the full roll-out coming this winter

Wonderful or just another gimmick for gamers?

Personally I like the idea but dont know how games can be played one is sitting on the computer.

Source

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a gaming device, I'm sure it will be like the Kinect: a lame, limp gimmick.

Beyond that, though? The potential applications are endless. I thought the Kinect hacks were impressive before, but the Leap's hacks could blow all that right out of the water.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, the wonders of waving your arms around like an idiot to paint on paint.
This will definately be entertaining.

Reactions: 2 people

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Could this be used at medical schools? It's far fetched but couldn't this be applied to 3D virtual surgical procedures for better accuracy and more realism?

Reactions: 1 person

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States

not every motion device for gameing will revolve around waving your arms around or waggleing. like an idiot.
this was only 1st gen where primary controllers became motion controllers, well for the wii that is with wiimote, then advancing to wiimote plus (bringing 1:1 motion),
then PS3 controller kinda having motion then advancing to PSmove(1:1 motion i think)
& 360 controller haveing no motion then advanceing to kinect.

next gen i see them fixing the motion tho. the wiimote plus wasn't used much to its full extent during wii days. maybe we will see more advance use of it on wii u. & may also get a nunchuck plus? :creep: same for PS move & ps4. more advanced movement may be used unless they were to try something different.

AceWarhead

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

not every motion device for gameing will revolve around waving your arms around or waggleing. like an idiot.
this was only 1st gen where primary controllers became motion controllers, well for the wii that is with wiimote, then advancing to wiimote plus (bringing 1:1 motion),
then PS3 controller kinda having motion then advancing to PSmove(1:1 motion i think)

next gen i see them fixing the motion tho. the wiimote plus wasn't used much to its full extent during wii days. maybe we will see more advance use of it on wii u. & may also get a nunchuck plus? :creep: same for PS move & ps4. more advanced movement may be used unless they were to try something different.
What...? All of those devices you said involve using your arm in some way, be it waving or whatever...

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States

What...? All of those devices you said involve using your arm in some way, be it waving or whatever...

if theres something in your hand tho you wont look like idiot. i think that refrence was only for kinect users lol.
would you rather use your head?
Use_your_head_7054.jpg

AceWarhead

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if theres something in your hand tho you wont look like idiot. i think that refrence was only for kinect users lol.
would you rather use your head?
Use_your_head_7054.jpg
I'd rather use just my hand than clutch something in my hand.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Could this be used at medical schools? It's far fetched but couldn't this be applied to 3D virtual surgical procedures for better accuracy and more realism?

I know they've been trying to use the Kinect for just that purpose, so yeah, that definitely seems likely.

The Kinect? Nah, they're too busy dancing.

han-solo-mynock-kinect-dance.gif

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I know they've been trying to use the Kinect for just that purpose, so yeah, that definitely seems likely.

The Kinect? Nah, they're too busy dancing.

han-solo-mynock-kinect-dance.gif

They'll need the greater surgical precision to repair the shattered bones of the men responsible for... this.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country

Beyond that, though? The potential applications are endless. I thought the Kinect hacks were impressive before, but the Leap's hacks could blow all that right out of the water.
This is just something that annoys me but A PROGRAM THAT USES A PERIPHERAL IS NOT A HACK!! Its like saying I use a mouse hack to move my pointer in Windows. I'm not using a "hack" I'm using a feckin' driver!
The actual hack was done by the people that made the Kinect driver since it was a closed-source peripheral and they generated an open-source entirely original driver by observing the I/O signals from the Kinect. The word "hack" especially does not apply for the Leap since it will probably provide a driver from the get-go for people to sue because they want people to support this peripheral.

I know its kinda off topic but its something that really annoys me.

Reason for Edit: I managed to miss out a word and make an entire sentence stupid.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is just something that annoys me but A PROGRAM THAT USES A PERIPHERAL IS NOT A HACK!! Its like saying I use a mouse hack to move my pointer in Windows. I'm not using a "hack" I'm using a feckin' driver!
The actual hack was done by the people that made the Kinect driver since it was a closed-source peripheral and they generated an open-source entirely original driver by observing the I/O signals from the Kinect. The word "hack" especially does not apply for the Leap since it will probably provide a driver from the get-go for people to sue because they want people to support this peripheral.

Huh, sorry about that mistake then. The more you know...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning