• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Leana Wen: The CCP Within American Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leana Wen is a strange character who has quietly popped up on the scene seemingly out of no where over the past few years. She is said to have came here with her parents from China when she was 8 years old, and they were allegedly granted political asylum, though when ever you listen to her speak, she straight up comes across as a CCP Propagandist.

I have uploaded a couple videos as a short intro, but there are also her old TED Talks going back four or five years ago, and also her short eight months as president of Planned Parenthood. So strange a CCP Abortion survivor would go work for Planned Parenthood. Also it is interest to take note of the fact that she encourages people to be single minded about the vaccine (no questions asked), but to be open minded about abortion. Also she seems to lack understanding of the Constitution and Bill of Rights...
...or you know, is just a straight up liar and propagandist.

Last edited by XDel,

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
she wrote an article last year claiming the coof was much less deadly than the flu(NYT i think), this year shes on cnn claiming covid kills and spreaders are murders.

sad times.. the "unalienable" rights and freedoms we have enjoyed are now being stripped(alienated) away wholesale, show your papers, do not question, love your captors and if your a real company man get your peers to comply against their will.

Last edited by sith,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Seems like grasping at conspiratorial straws...what does the CCP have to do with being pro-vaccine? Even vaccine mandates are nothing remotely new to the US, just about everybody on this site had to have their vaccines up-to-date in order to attend public school.

And stop bringing abortion into this, it's a terrible analogy. Pregnancy/abortion are not airborne viruses. The only connection there is the hypocrisy when it comes to the anti-vaxx, pro-birth crowd who screech, "my body my choice!"

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Seems like grasping at conspiratorial straws...what does the CCP have to do with being pro-vaccine? Even vaccine mandates are nothing remotely new to the US, just about everybody on this site had to have their vaccines up-to-date in order to attend public school.

And stop bringing abortion into this, it's a terrible analogy. Pregnancy/abortion are not airborne viruses. The only connection there is the hypocrisy when it comes to the anti-vaxx, pro-birth crowd who screech, "my body my choice!"
Yeah. I don't like the CCP but this seems like an odd post. A forced abortion imposed by the government and an optional abortion for people who want it provided by the government are two different things.
I didn't watch the second video because I don't like the music but at no point in the first video did I see her telling people to not question the vaccine science either, not that being pro-vaccine has anything to do with the CPP. I only bring it up since OP did.

If she has undisclosed ties to the CCP and she's showing up on American media that is concerning but nothing provided by op suggests that imo. From my point of view she's promoting things that he doesn't like so his response is REE COMUNIST! Like the thumbnail in the 2nd video has 666 in it, what does that have to do with anything? I don't like her stances so therefore she has the mark of the beast, she's the devil, the literal embodiment of evil according to the bible. Maybe OP could say he doesn't really think she's Satan which yes, obviously he doesn't (at least I hope) but if that's the case why throw all those other symbols in with the 666? Does he not believe that she's an actual communist either?

To me it looks like op doesn't like this person so he attached her to a bogeyman organization and ideology along with every other political person he dislikes rather than try to justify his distaste for her with thought out reasons against her political stances.

Edit: Ignore the striked out stuff, I had mistakenly thought that OP was the uploader of the videos he linked.

Edit 2: Oh... I read right... he did upload them... well then. Very interesting channel. Get well soon op, we're rooting for you.

Last edited by CompSciOrBust,
Reactions: Xzi

linkchidori

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
OK, let's say World Communism Underneath a Corporate Umbrella then; of which the CCP is another arm, or tentacle if you will.
World Communism is long gone as a real threat to liberal democracy nowadays. In fact, China is rampant about capitalism, but the political system is very different.

To be honest, i dont live in the US, so probably i dont understand the situation completely, but this sounds very much like Cold War rethoric/Mccarthysm.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Sorry - but the propaganda is this thread.

You dont take news snippets, undercut it with "eerie suspense" music, and then mash all your favourite themes together --

- I'm doing this to save america from the communists
- by being anti vaccine
- implying a communist invasion
- and giving you my opinion on birther sh*t

This is how propaganda works. Catch them with core emotions, make the massage simple, tell people what to think, hide content and highten conjecture, personalize, and simplify to a level where most people with a brain would want to turn it off, or turn away, because how do you tell a person that he is hopelessly dumb - but still allowed to rally folks and vote? If you are young, part of that is excused.

But is this really a thread about a chinese CCP operative (because shes chinese), that was picked as a pundit by western media outlets, that tells stories about vaccines, and abortions, and has her very exclusive super fans, that have to undercut those statements with suspense music, and use mysticism and numerology...

If there is something you dont like, put it into a concise point. We can look at that and discuss it, but dont fabricate a pulp story of conspiracy and betrayal and evil and... around it - when currently theres not even a distinct point to talk about.

All thats left sticking in peoples brains is the conjecture, using pseudo political triggerwords, someone got from his/her grandparents. McCarthyism once already was a modern witchhunt in the US, and got abused (as all such things do) - so why see in it a real american tradition an do it again in this case. I mean the argument is missing. Communism is the entire argument. Because the word triggers propaganda thought patterns. Then there is attribution. (This lady is communist.) Therefore what she says is weird, or propaganda (we can talk about that, this would be an argument we could analyze or have), you know it, because cant you hear the eerie music, and look TED Talks! (I agree that most of them are trash, btw :) ), and abortions?

Even if thats not how your thought pattern went, this is how most people with little to no political knowledge most likely will "follow your story". You get them and you convince them emotionally.

Which is why this posting will act as propaganda.

So first we have to remove the entire triggerfriendly emotional conjecture, then we could look into the core argument (which is "lady is a communist spy?"), would be easier if you did it - because that way we can also see where your issue with the circumstances (might be legit) lies.

But this looks like you had 10 right wingers produce horrorshow and attention grabbing PR for people knowing very little about politics - and would want to keep them on the emotional level, no debate necessary. And if this results in a debate then we could as well debate, if lady is evil or not.

Or why CNN is promoting CCP propaganda (which btw they should not, and they wouldnt want to - might happen, but then we need to hear the argument).

Last edited by notimp,
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Additional video added.
My guy really put an illuminati symbol(?) and a party slogan from 1984 in his video. Is this a joke? I can't take it seriously between the 666s in the thumbnail and the distorted voice. Looking at OP's profile he's clearly familiar with Aldous Huxley so why is he comparing this stuff to the likes of Orwell when Huxley points out in Brave New World Revisited that if we see a dystopia it will most likely try to control people through non-violent means like tax breaks to incentivize good behavior, you know, like China's social credit system? Is this a troll, op? I think this is a troll. It would be believable if not for the over the top videos. I hope this is an example of Poe's law.

Last edited by CompSciOrBust,
Reactions: Xzi

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
she wrote an article last year claiming the coof was much less deadly than the flu(NYT i think), this year shes on cnn claiming covid kills and spreaders are murders.

sad times.. the "unalienable" rights and freedoms we have enjoyed are now being stripped(alienated) away wholesale, show your papers, do not question, love your captors and if your a real company man get your peers to comply against their will.

Thats because nobody bothers to stand up and say NO. Whens the last time you were at the DMV? When they demanded you hide your face behind your fear mask, just to renew your registration, did you tell them you do not submit to the will of authoritarian hypocrites, or did you bend the knee and do what your told because it was the path of least resistance? Exercise your rights or let them get taken away.

Last edited by Drak0rex,
Reactions: sith

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry - but the propaganda is this thread.

You dont take news snippets, undercut it with "eerie suspense" music, and then mash all your favourite themes together --

- I'm doing this to save america from the communists
- by being anti vaccine
- implying a communist invasion
- and giving you my opinion on birther sh*t

This is how propaganda works. Catch them with core emotions, make the massage simple, tell people what to think, hide content and highten conjecture, personalize, and simplify to a level where most people with a brain would want to turn it off, or turn away, because how do you tell a person that he is hopelessly dumb - but still allowed to rally folks and vote? If you are young, part of that is excused.

But is this really a thread about a chinese CCP operative (because shes chinese), that was picked as a pundit by western media outlets, that tells stories about vaccines, and abortions, and has her very exclusive super fans, that have to undercut those statements with suspense music, and use mysticism and numerology...

If there is something you dont like, put it into a concise point. We can look at that and discuss it, but dont fabricate a pulp story of conspiracy and betrayal and evil and... around it - when currently theres not even a distinct point to talk about.

All thats left sticking in peoples brains is the conjecture, using pseudo political triggerwords, someone got from his/her grandparents. McCarthyism once already was a modern witchhunt in the US, and got abused (as all such things do) - so why see in it a real american tradition an do it again in this case. I mean the argument is missing. Communism is the entire argument. Because the word triggers propaganda thought patterns. Then there is attribution. (This lady is communist.) Therefore what she says is weird, or propaganda (we can talk about that, this would be an argument we could analyze or have), you know it, because cant you hear the eerie music, and look TED Talks! (I agree that most of them are trash, btw :) ), and abortions?

Even if thats not how your thought pattern went, this is how most people with little to no political knowledge most likely will "follow your story". You get them and you convince them emotionally.

Which is why this posting will act as propaganda.

So first we have to remove the entire triggerfriendly emotional conjecture, then we could look into the core argument (which is "lady is a communist spy?"), would be easier if you did it - because that way we can also see where your issue with the circumstances (might be legit) lies.

But this looks like you had 10 right wingers produce horrorshow and attention grabbing PR for people knowing very little about politics - and would want to keep them on the emotional level, no debate necessary. And if this results in a debate then we could as well debate, if lady is evil or not.

Or why CNN is promoting CCP propaganda (which btw they should not, and they wouldnt want to - might happen, but then we need to hear the argument).

If there is something you dont like, put it into a concise point.

Literally the longest post in the thread :rofl2:

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
concise ≠ short

Brevity is the soul of wit.
tl;dr is the soul of :shit:

So much effort just to denounce a posting, that took quite long to craft to say in a very polite way - that someone tried to propagate, well propaganda, in this posting? Potentially.

>denounces excess effort
>post is still too long :rofl:

Last edited by elk1007,

sailr

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
space.bilibili.com
XP
Country
China
As a Chinese, I can tell you that China is no longer a communist country. The gap between the rich and the poor in various regions is widening, and the welfare of workers is decreasing. If you have read Lenin or Mao Zedong’s books, you can know that the current one belongs to one kind. Authoritative semi-capitalism,Or revisionism
Why are you still afraid of communism? To discredit the Soviet Union? Because the capitalist countries in Europe and America are afraid of the ghost, a communist ghost full of powerful military power, loved by the people, promoting the status of workers and equality for all, because it can destroy the lies made by capitalism for money

Last edited by sailr,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
@sailr:

Mansfield encourages the formation of a popular perception that both that the ‗enemy‘ is fundamentally different from US citizens and that a recognition of this pertains to a shift away from multiculturalism towards patriotism. Kristol, too, emphasised the importance of the development of a spirit of patriotism; as Dorrien notes, he called for ―a resurgence of patriotic liberalism.‖158 This seems to reflect the emphasis on the closed society at the friend/enemy binary Strauss deemed central to the concept of the political; the rendering of the enemy here functions within the systems of binaries explored above.
https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/files/54597902/FULL_TEXT.PDF

Liberal society, of mixed race people, different religions -- what do you do to unify? Patriotism (Country). And common enemy.

Who is Leo Strauss? Basically the guy that "made up" the neoconservative ideology.

Adam Curtis picked it up in Power of nightmares, but you can also get the jist, by reading this:
https://austinkleon.com/2006/11/16/the-power-of-gunsmoke-and-perry-mason/

China on the other hand very much isnt a capitalist society. Main difference should be, that political elites control the resource flow, and pitch different cities against each other in an effort to do better. If the local politicians 'fail' - they get replaced.

So that way you have fixed top level ruling structure, thats in internal competition at the city/region level (creates healthy competition), and on the innovation/production level, structures are usually market capitalist (best allocation of resources) - the point being that resources get to companies via payback arrangements (what we would call corruption), meaning, both private sector and political elites profit, but the control of base resources always remains with the CCP.

Paraphrased that guy:

Currently you see the CCP cracking down on the tech sector, because china is pivoting to a "century of the self" (wants to drum up domestic trade, because the US is limiting its economic growth through limiting its access to key resources), and in that process (tokenized, but also all other) assets that can be made up out of thin air (think crypto currencies, or CS skins) could become dangerous (a way to circumvent money politics at the national level). Also the CCP had no control over production (scaling up and down production) in the digital sector - so now they are moving in with "law enforcement" to get back a tighter control on that particular sector.

Background. Economic growth in china is expected to slow down, but china basically is in the process of trying to distribute gains more evenly to strengthen internal stabilization, before the demographic curve hits (one child policy > many old people in their societies by now.). While also keeping up international trade, as best as they can. But focus isnt solely on production for export anymore.

What I'm trying to illustrate is, that its not "the enemy" thats the cause of how a country perceives its enemy, but more often internal pressures that require stories for people to act under some form of unity, if needed.

And communism especially in the way the west perceives it, is almost exclusively filtered through cold war and Mccarthyism stories. Still. To this day.

Still plenty of horrific stories to be had under Lenin or Stalin, or the CCP for that matter (Uyghurs), but thats usually not why Americans use the term with such vigor and wrath, that might have more to do with Leo Strauss, and the view of the world the neocons promoted. :)

Also, another 'blind spot' of capitalism is "demand making" - usually done by infrastructure spending. Unregulated capitalism tends to produce boom and bust cycles. If you need to intervene to increase economic growth, thats usually done through infrastructure spending. When state does that, privat capital sees it, gets more of a "growth expectation" and starts to invest as well. If state doesnt do it >> Africa. (Programs the IMF said they should run, failed more often than not.) US can do it whenever, because it has the world reserve currency (for now.. ;) ), so State can just print the necessary funds. China has accumulated huge state reserves, but cant do it to the level they'd like to, because US (and circumstance) are limiting key elements to raise productivity even further - so now they try to move to a model, where more growth will be domestic growth. Africa always was told, that you could finance that via credit, and developed fewer measures to foster demand. So when the first crisis hit... Thats also a rough cut on capitalism actually depending on structural investments by a state actor to be stable over the long term. Most people in the US never get that. ("But national debt is bad!" Thing is, you never are supposed to pay back national debt, you deflate it to zero over time (or never even have to do that - if you own the world reserve currency, which always will be in demand - regardless how much you print - because certain goods (most prominently oil :) ) and services are only available in world reserve currency), and the entire setup tends to be stable - if growth remains stable.) But the state investments need to create/foster private investments for them to act as an economic boost. Because thats what creates more economic activity, innovation, ... (and then it becomes more than just an artificially inflated bubble).

Last edited by notimp,

Deleted member 568587

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Must be a full time job making excuses for every Democrat that does evil shit all day long. Hope you're getting paid, is it $3.50 per post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho