Hacking leaked Wii SDK, can it be used to develop games?

Zendrik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't see why everyone has to be such dicks around here.

But from what I can tell, this SDK is near useless for making a Wii game. It seems that it is outdated software. I do believe you could make a game with it, assuming one has the correct knowledge, but it would be far inferior to what is being created now. I hope I helped and I wish I could have come along earlier.

As for the rest of you guys, only a few of you actually have more than 50 posts. You guys must be new but this forum used to be friendly and helpful. If this were my first time here I would be offended. I actually got this confused with a GFaq's forum for a sec. Please stop acting like children. I believe mthrnite said it best, "We are not 4chan. Trolling and flaming are the norm there, we do not tolerate it here." Thanks!

zeldarocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I appreciate the help, one more thing, are people at GBAtemp usually this mean?

I'm starting to feel slightly withdrawn from these forums, If people acting like this is the norm, then I might as well leave...

stuffed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Dude, people are generaly mean and sarcastic when you're talking about something you know nothing about.
It just makes you look like an idiot and makes people tease you.
You should phrase your questions differently.

To answer your question...

Coding even the simplest game, no matter for what platform, takes atleast mediocare programming skills.
By looking at your questions - you obviously dont posses them.

If you want to learn how to code, start by taking a basic course of programming.
Maybe after a few lessons you might be able to make a text-based trivia game.

Oh, and knowing how to run batch files in CMD and getting cygwin won't get you moving even a one step.

Cheers.

zeldarocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just downloaded XNA Studio, an officially licensed SDK of sorts for Xbox 360 and Windows, it uses Visual Basic, and it is totally free
smile.gif

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As Zendrik said, many of the people here are being immature.

There are some things on this forum that are considered to be "common knowledge" or have had questions asked dozens and dozens of times that everyone on this site feels like everyone should know. Sadly, if you ask one of these common knowledge questions- even if you can't find it through the search function, you're more than likely going to get flammed for it- that seems to be the nature of many forums these days.

Brouhaha

Trophies
Website
spaces.msn.com
XP
Country
Canada
zeldarocks said:
I just downloaded XNA Studio, an officially licensed SDK of sorts for Xbox 360 and Windows, it uses Visual Basic, and it is totally free
smile.gif

Wise decision. XNA and managed directx are a great way to start programming games. After all, Microsoft is the best when it comes to supporting devs. Don't let anyone discourage you. Start with C# (not visual basic) and XNA. Get familiar with Object Oriented programming and then make the move to C/C++ and you'll be there faster than you think. Don't be afraid to go through many books though...

Good luck!

[EDIT]: Make sure you start with something simple such as pong or tetris clones. Don't think you'll be making Halo 4 anytime soon!

zeldarocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
when you said "don't let anyone discourage you" you were talking about the negative comments back there right? Maybe in a few years I COULD be making Halo 4
tongue.gif
Thanks for your encouraging words, I really appreciate it
smile.gif
I'll keep you updated on progress ok?

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Zendrik said:
Well, I don't see why everyone has to be such dicks around here.

But from what I can tell, this SDK is near useless for making a Wii game. It seems that it is outdated software. I do believe you could make a game with it, assuming one has the correct knowledge, but it would be far inferior to what is being created now. I hope I helped and I wish I could have come along earlier.

As for the rest of you guys, only a few of you actually have more than 50 posts. You guys must be new but this forum used to be friendly and helpful. If this were my first time here I would be offended. I actually got this confused with a GFaq's forum for a sec. Please stop acting like children. I believe mthrnite said it best, "We are not 4chan. Trolling and flaming are the norm there, we do not tolerate it here." Thanks!

Meh I'm always confusing these forums with gamefaqs.

Brouhaha

Trophies
Website
spaces.msn.com
XP
Country
Canada
zeldarocks said:
when you said "don't let anyone discourage you" you were talking about the negative comments back there right? Maybe in a few years I COULD be making Halo 4
tongue.gif
smile.gif

Of course you COULD! The keyword is years though
tongue.gif
Unmanaged code such as as C/C++ gives you freedom, and the headaches that come with it. All that matters is having fun doing it, since you're not getting paid for it... yet.

Please do keep me/us posted on your progress! Show us what you can do!

Midnight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
zeldarocks said:
tongue.gif
smile.gif
I'm a full-time professional software engineer (not in the game industry though, sadly), and I definitely hope you won't be discouraged by the jeers you've received here.

We've all had to start from zero at some point, so it's not unthinkable that you can learn enough programming skills to accomplish what you hope. Yes, some of us have the advantage of starting out at much younger ages (I first learned C/C++ at age 10), and a few people are just naturally gifted at this sort of reasoning. But it doesn't take super-human IQ to at least become a fully competent developer. After all, thousands of people enter the industry each year--some of whom only started picking up programming well into their 20s or 30s. (I've worked with a few colleagues with such backgrounds.)

Even if you don't quite get to the endpoint you desire with console game development, I sure hope that you have lots of fun in the meantime--and perhaps even discover your calling as a developer in some other domain in the software industry. The journey is what makes it all worth it, not the destination. As a developer myself, it always brings a big pleasant smile to my face to see someone else taking their first tentative steps into the field that I love so much.

All the best!

CPOStudios

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cpostudios.com
XP
Country
United States
I find it funny that many here think it is ludicrous that someone would think that a company would release a GUI in their SDK. I personally don't know much about game programming, but I develop for Mac OSX and Windows and there are plenty of GUIs for writing software. I'm sure you all know that, but it really isn't that obvious that Nintendo wouldn't provide a GUI for developers.

Bunch of dicks on pages 1-3, Christ.

Zeldarocks, how old are you? If you aren't in highschool or college, consider this: try some basic tutorials for C, and if you don't like the concept of programming every day as a job, don't bother (plenty of other jobs in the videogame industry if you are set on that). If you like it, take AP Computer Science in high school and consider majoring in Computer Science (or more specific major for video game programming) in college if you enjoyed Comp Sci. Don't go into a field you don't enjoy studying and doing on your own time though. You won't do well if you don't like what you are doing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: