Leaked next-gen controller packaging mentions new Xbox Series S console

xboxsx.jpg

Leaked files in June suggested that Microsoft is working on more than one version of its next-gen console, the Xbox Series X. One of the rumoured, unannounced next-gen Xbox was codenamed Lockhart which is supposed to be a less powerful but cheaper entry into next-gen gaming. We now might have a name for Lockhart. According to leaked images obtained by The Verge, this cheaper next-gen Xbox will be named Xbox Series S.

The naming was seen in the packaging of a next-gen controller, which mentions compatibility with both Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S consoles.

xbox leaks (1).jpg

xbox leaks (1).PNG xbox leaks (2).jpg xbox leaks (3).jpg

According to an earlier report from The Verge, Lockhart or Xbox Series S will have as specs "7.5GB of usable RAM, a slightly underclocked CPU speed, and around 4 teraflops of GPU performance". The known Xbox Series X on the other hand includes 13.5GB of usable RAM, and targets 12 teraflops of GPU performance.

:arrow: SOURCE

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone else getting reminded of the Steam Machines with the multiple console variations seemingly at launch? Like, it's nice they aren't having 10 million different systems being manufactured by every pre-built manufacturer in the US, but I can't help but think people who don't follow gaming news and tech like we do getting the cheaper system and possibly being disappointed when the system doesn't do 4K or something!

James_

aka Underscore_, or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most people talking about Series S while I'm just really liking the look of this Robot White color controller, like, damn.

Then again, literally everyone was expecting the cheaper XBOX to be called Series S.

Last edited by James_,
Reactions: StrayGuitarist

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I definitely expected a cheaper Series S to come out for sure, but I'm not quite sure I believe the Verge's potential specs that it'll have. Mostly the gimped GPU specs I think are wrong, it makes no sense for MS to release a next gen "option" console that's weaker than their last-gen "midstep" Xbox One X, especially if they plan on supporting the Xbox One consoles with first party titles for the first couple years of launch.

Unless they price it super competitively, at like $200 or something and then include a few months or something of Xcloud, then I could kind of see it, but even then I'm still iffy at those specs. I'd expect at least 6TFLOPs, to match the XbonerX anyways.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Teraflops???? What's that?
FLOPS = floating point operations per second, which is basically a measurement of how many mathematical calculations a processor can make in a single second. It's one of the more accurate measurements of a processors speed (much more so than frequency, these days) because the formula to find FLOPS takes into account things like the number of CPUs, the number of cores, the frequency, and the number of cycles the processor runs. This is mainly important for GPUs, as rendering graphics uses a lot of mathematical equations, so you'll commonly see TFLOPS as a measurement for comparing GPUs more than anything.

Tera in this case = trillion. So the Xbox Series S, according to the Verge, will only be able to process 4 trillion floating point operations per second, which is quite low compared to the Xbox Series X which is reported to have a 12 TFLOPS GPU, or 12 trillion floating operations per second.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people talking about Series S while I'm just really liking the look of this Robot White color controller, like, damn.

Then again, literally everyone was expecting the cheaper XBOX to be called Series S.

IDK about you, but I'm just not digging the look of that d-pad. It looks like it's not gonna be quite as good what's on the current batch of controllers, and a part of me kind of wishes that they'd use that disc d-pad thing as opposed to something that looks like it'll function like the d-pad on the 360 and the OG Xbox's S controller.

Last edited by Silent_Gunner,
Reactions: StrayGuitarist

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No thanks since many games for this will be on latest PC system so I am good with PC. And I am going with PS4 and soon PS5. No thanks XBOX.

D

Deleted User

No thanks since many games for this will be on latest PC system so I am good with PC. And I am going with PS4 and soon PS5. No thanks XBOX.
Microsoft is blending Xbox to the PC market so both can enjoy. Nintendo is still somewhat exclusive to their own platform, but they're making games for Android/iOS and the Shield (was it not?).

And then there's PlayStation. They're allowing games to be streamed to PC.

Exclusivity is good in business terms though it's not consumer friendly.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft is blending Xbox to the PC market so both can enjoy. Nintendo is still somewhat exclusive to their own platform, but they're making games for Android/iOS and the Shield (was it not?).

And then there's PlayStation. They're allowing games to be streamed to PC.

Exclusivity is good in business terms though it's not consumer friendly.

Indeed but I don't like streaming at all. SO I am going with PC, Nintendo, and Sony according to their games. Since XBOX games are PC also so I will be ok. And thanks. :)

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very sure the will have a Series-S. I just hope Microsoft doesn't make the same mistake they did on the Xbox One S Digital model and priced it at $249 versus the regular one with the disk was $300. If they want digital to work they need it to be $200. The same thing applies for Sony also don't sell a all digital for $400 considering all of the compromises the end user is taking just sell it for $200.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...