League of Legends Accounts Compromised

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
League of Legends is a supremely popular (and casual) title, with a playerbase consisting of millions upon millions of players. Naturally, such a following makes the game a prime target, and, well... it looks like Riot got (account) bank ganked.

Riot Games has reported that a portion of North American League of Legends account information was recently compromised. Usernames, email addresses, salted password hashes, and some first and last names were accessed. Riot claims that "salted password hashes" are unreadable, but players with easily-guessed passwords may have their accounts compromised. As a precaution, all North American players will soon be prompted to reset their passwords.

Additionally, Riot is investigating a theft of approximately 120,000 transaction records from 2011 that contained hashed and salted credit card numbers. Again, Riot assures us that salted credit card numbers are "unreadable", that the payment system involved with these records hasn't been used since July of 2011, and that this type of payment card information hasn't been collected in any Riot systems since then.

Riot says it is taking the necessary steps to notify and safeguard affected players, but it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on your credit card transactions in the near future if you have ever bought Riot Points from the League of Legends store.
:arrow: The Escapist

LoL

So yeah, FYI, if you play League (or have played in the past), your account information may be in jeopardy. Changing your password may not be such a bad idea. Or not. I mean, maybe you like to live dangerously. Who am I to judge?

Man, what a mess. I guess what they say is true - MOBA, mo' problems.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
" "salted password hashes" are unreadable, but players with easily-guessed passwords may have their accounts compromised"

I wonder what that actually means. On the one hand it could be a dash of CYA and on the other I am drawn to wonder whether I should be questioning their salting system (it is not enough to salt, you need a unique and largely unguessable per user salt).

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: Satangel

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lul
Zorua, does this remind you of something?

Really, considering your username, Guild, I would've sworn you would've said "GUILD WARS 2 MASTER RACE!" or something.

Right now it is the master race.

Diablo 3 is shit.
Final Fantasy Versus XIV charges way too much.
Elder Scrolls Online is charging 15 monthly.
WoW is just pure garbage.

Well, Guild Wars 2 and Torchlight 2 are the masterraces.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
League of Legends is a supremely popular (and casual) title, with a playerbase consisting of millions upon millions of players. Naturally, such a following makes the game a prime target, and, well... it looks like Riot got (account) bank ganked.

:arrow: The Escapist

LoL

So yeah, FYI, if you play League (or have played in the past), your account information may be in jeopardy. Changing your password may not be such a bad idea. Or not. I mean, maybe you like to live dangerously. Who am I to judge?

Man, what a mess. I guess what they say is true - MOBA, mo' problems.

Gotta inform my cousin whose a freak for this game, played all night.. O.O

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Diablo 3 is shit.

What about Dota?
(I don't like any of those games, just wondering)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Diablo 3 is shit.

Diablo 3 isn't an MMO
If you mean XIV:ARR it's only 12.99 a month, which is cheap considering the quality and polish.
That's a standard and typically worth it. Poor people need to stop being afraid of good games just because they have a sub. It's more than worth it to keep the cash shop bullshit to a minimum, or completely out of a game. $15 is like an hour and a half at minimum wage, if you can't afford that I don't know how the fuck you could afford the computer or the internet to play it in the first place.

From a purely casual, content exploration wise perspective, yep GW2 is king. However if you're looking for an MMO with a combat system worth actually using, i'd go elsewhere.
GW2 has some very fun and diverse content, but its ALL about the adventure. The combat is probably some of the weakest i've ever really experienced, and the PvP is just awful as a result. All my time spent on GW2 was simply adventuring.

EDIT: Also Path of Exile destroys Torchlight 2. In basically every aspect except maybe graphics, but even then PoE looks solid.

What about Dota?
(I don't like any of those games, just wondering)

DOTA is a MOBA...its absolutely nothing like an MMORPG. Granted Shadow doesn't know what an MMO is either.

anyway,
Smite > DOTA > LoL

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DOTA is a MOBA...its absolutely nothing like an MMORPG. Granted Shadow doesn't know what an MMO is either.

anyway,
Smite > DOTA > LoL

Ya... I mean, I only mentioned Diablo 3 along with the rest being MMO's.. but yeah, I don't know what an MMO is.

and 15 bucks is way too expensive. You buy the game for 60. Then one month in, you're at 75 bucks, next month at 90... all for one game. I'm sorry but no. Pay-To-Play is fucking stupid. They could make their money elsewhere.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya... I mean, I only mentioned Diablo 3 along with the rest being MMO's.. but yeah, I don't know what an MMO is.

and 15 bucks is way too expensive. You buy the game for 60. Then one month in, you're at 75 bucks, next month at 90... all for one game. I'm sorry but no. Pay-To-Play is fucking stupid. They could make their money elsewhere.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mmo

Also, honestly, if Pay to Play isn't the payment scheme that's for you... then don't play.

I had absolutely no problem paying $15 a month when I played WoW for 3 years because that was worth it to play the game for me. Same with people that pay for Xbox Live. I stopped paying for both (except XBL on occasion) because I realized I don't find any more entertainment in WoW and I seldom play games on Live (I'll grab their free or $1 month every once in a while and then not use it). $15/month is a waste for something you're not using. $15/month isn't much for something that gives you a lot of entertainment.

I've met some of my best real life friends through WoW.

Back on topic - Should I be concerned about the level 3 summoner that I haven't touched in over a year?

Reactions: Deleted-236924

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Diablo 3 isn't an MMO
If you mean XIV:ARR it's only 12.99 a month, which is cheap considering the quality and polish.
That's a standard and typically worth it. Poor people need to stop being afraid of good games just because they have a sub. It's more than worth it to keep the cash shop bullshit to a minimum, or completely out of a game. $15 is like an hour and a half at minimum wage, if you can't afford that I don't know how the fuck you could afford the computer or the internet to play it in the first place.

In that case we have to ask what is a MMO? I am not sure if these guys have the answer but they ask some interesting questions along the way

Taken in light of some of that Diablo 3 is highly networked, stateful if you want it to be, in possession of chat, it has grouping and much like most of what might be considered is quite geared towards being played at length.

Also that 12.99.... compared to a video streaming service, compared to usenet, compared to a VPN, compared to most other services the average consumer considers paying for... Also "just another" is not great financial planning.

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Dunno about Elder Scrolls Online, but no MMO that has a subscription retails for $60. Generally its around 30-40, with a month free time.

You're paying for a game that's constantly updated and evolving, its like paying for DLC. Like I said, if you're too poor to afford a monthly sub, then MMOs aren't for you.
I could afford a $15 sub since I was...12? its basically nothing, and the quality of pay2play MMOs is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than that of free2play, with the added bonus of getting the entire game for only $15~ a month, as opposed to F2P MMOs which cost a LOT more to get the full game. The F2P model is designed to balance keeping you entertained and interested, while simultaneously crippling your experience just enough to make you want to buy things to remedy that affliction. The fact MMOs are going F2P so much is disturbing, but not surprising. Its a hell of a lot more profitable, you just have to carefully slice away at your playerbases experience to force them into buying things to continue enjoying their experience fully.
As much as I like the idea of buy2play such as GW2, there has thus far been 0 MMOs solid enough to keep my interest under that model. So until then, its either F2P or P2P, and I'd rather stick with the polished, solid, full experience of a paid MMO. For the pittance it costs and the significant jump in quality, it's well worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, explain the process