Homebrew LCFW Option?

HeroKing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
given that i'm doing this on my friend's console, and still very new to the scene, i'm scared of bricking his system and owing him recompense for it. back in the day when the psp scene came back, we had access to LCFWs, which would run homebrew/isos, but the code to execute that disappears by shutting down the system. i know everyone is downgrading for A9LH, but i'm curious if anyone's also planning on a new CFW built on 11.2, or if there's another CFW that worked like an LCFW

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
given that i'm doing this on my friend's console, and still very new to the scene, i'm scared of bricking his system and owing him recompense for it. back in the day when the psp scene came back, we had access to LCFWs, which would run homebrew/isos, but the code to execute that disappears by shutting down the system. i know everyone is downgrading for A9LH, but i'm curious if anyone's also planning on a new CFW built on 11.2, or if there's another CFW that worked like an LCFW
This is definitely possible and will likely happen soon. Just have to find out what conflict luma has with safehax.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just curious, what kind of difference would something like this make in terms of regular CFW versus LCFW? (also, what exactly is "LCFW"

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
just curious, what kind of difference would something like this make in terms of regular CFW versus LCFW? (also, what exactly is "LCFW"
Basically, "LCFW" gives the ability to install and run unsigned cias without having to write stuff to the firmware. It's much less risky than "CFW" (a9lh), but also less convenient and stable.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, "LCFW" gives the ability to install and run unsigned cias without having to write stuff to the firmware. It's much less risky than "CFW" (a9lh), but also less convenient and stable.
if its much less convenient and stable, not sure how well it would be recieved compared to the "a9lh cfw do whatever you want just follow the guide" attitude that seems to be around here.

HeroKing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LCFW stands for Light Custom Firmware. it works similar to soundhax/safehax and whatnot where you get homebrew enabled by executing the file, but has to be relaunched each time you reboot the system. LCFW works the same way, but with kernel access

for example, back on Pro CFW, you could have an iso of said game working. when you finish and shut down the system completely, the iso disappears from your home menu. by re-executing the LCFW package (much like with soundhax again), it runs the kernel exploit, boots up the cfw, and allows access to the iso again

the way this was done was by creating NEW files that ran the CFW code (basically taking the names of original files, and adding a _ to the beginning), instead of replacing the system files

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LCFW stands for Light Custom Firmware. it works similar to soundhax/safehax and whatnot where you get homebrew enabled by executing the file, but has to be relaunched each time you reboot the system. LCFW works the same way, but with kernel access

for example, back on Pro CFW, you could have an iso of said game working. when you finish and shut down the system completely, the iso disappears from your home menu. by re-executing the LCFW package (much like with soundhax again), it runs the kernel exploit, boots up the cfw, and allows access to the iso again

the way this was done was by creating NEW files that ran the CFW code (basically taking the names of original files, and adding a _ to the beginning), instead of replacing the system files
ok, it just seems less convenient to what is already in place, and from what i've seen, convenience seems to have a big impact on these types of things (aka, the reason why barely anyone cares about "emunand" setups.)
but then again, this may have just been because of menuhax, but it seems to me like it would be recieved similarly

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
if its much less convenient and stable, not sure how well it would be recieved compared to the "a9lh cfw do whatever you want just follow the guide" attitude that seems to be around here.
With a9lh, you boot straight into a home menu that can launch cias. It can also run powerful homebrew like decrypt9 instantly after cold-boot with a hotkey. It also has firm protection that wards off unexpected updates from Nintendo than could otherwise uninstall a9lh.

LCFW requires you to launch soundhax, then fasthax/safehax to boot into cfw mode firm. And either of those apps could fail, which is annoying. Less annoying than a brick though.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With a9lh, you boot straight into a home menu that can launch cias. It can also run powerful homebrew like decrypt9 instantly after cold-boot with a hotkey. It also has firm protection that wards off unexpected updates from Nintendo.

LCFW requires you to launch soundhax, then fasthax/safehax to boot into cfw mode firm. And either of those apps could fail, which is annoying. Less annoying than a brick though.
true, but with how much people stress to "just follow the guide", and everything the guide compensates for, its a pretty small risk

Reactions: zoogie

HeroKing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With a9lh, you boot straight into a home menu that can launch cias. It can also run powerful homebrew like decrypt9 instantly after cold-boot with a hotkey. It also has firm protection that wards off unexpected updates from Nintendo than could otherwise uninstall a9lh.

though the LCFW i've had experience with in the past was more streamlined. but given how much stuff crashes on soundhax, i can see why it would be less reliable. the method i'm thinking of would be more like running soundhax, and it boots straight into fasthax (once it's stable and hopefully more reliable) and then into A9LH/Luma or whatever you have on the FW

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You and your friend are going to want A9LH installed, regardless of the CFW you use. Follow the guide exactly and read the colored warnings before you do anything, and the risk of bricking is minimal.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I miss the PSP CFW where you install a signed CFW and just plop the .cso or .iso on the card via PC or the more convenient USB-mini cable. No strings attached and the homebrew worked the same way. Clean, coldbooting CFW, with custom motion boot splashes, that can't be updated (like PS3's), and M-ratings on power apps so they can be locked with parental controls. NTR and the JKSM and CIAngel don't do that.

HeroKing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk about boot splashes, but with the recent freeshop issue and putting in custom homebr3w screens on execution, it'd be nice to see some interesting stuff from other homebrew. hell, updating A9LH to have a custom splash on running games would be interesting

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible and even existed for 9.2 with Pasta. It's a real bad idea to use for any length of time though, as you have no protection from updates (which will fix these exploits on leave you on a vanilla system) or just in general doing something to put your 3DS in an unbootable state (which are generally recoverable with A9LH).

HeroKing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like it works. says 11.2, with FBI, Luma, and HBL on homescreen. guessing at this point i'd do DNS settings to block updates, but i think that may also block freeshop access

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like it works. says 11.2, with FBI, Luma, and HBL on homescreen. guessing at this point i'd do DNS settings to block updates, but i think that may also block freeshop access
DNS isn't the most necessary thing now since there are many more protections in place.

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, if any of you are still interested in LCFW, here it is attached.

Nevermind, turns out you can just rename luma3ds to arm9.bin and it will work fine.

edit: the reboot patches are broken however. No pokemon, smash, and smm for old3ds.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: