Hardware LCD FPC Connector for Nintendo Switch

Xandroz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
so i have a motherboard fully functional and its on 1.0 firmware, trying to revive this bad boy.
only thing faulty is this socket.
i tried with hot air but it melted.
anyone replaced one of those before can tell me the right way.

regards

Attachments

• C59C748D-EFA4-4BC6-8F9F-1A9B45EA5F46.png
    C59C748D-EFA4-4BC6-8F9F-1A9B45EA5F46.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 484
  • 92F22C46-1AA0-4962-8965-C9405DA0B120.jpeg
    92F22C46-1AA0-4962-8965-C9405DA0B120.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 358

unvaluablespace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a switch with that same connector missing the latch (the white piece in the picture). It's not a replacement like you are looking for, but I cut a small piece of paper the width of the ribbon cable to add a slight amount of thickness and help hold the pins against the cable, and carefully aligned the ribbon cable with the pins. It holds firmly in place and once everything is together i don't expect it to slip out easily. I've had it like this for about 2 months now and the switch is operating fine. I expect that eventually I'll have to replace the connector but im not looking forward to attempting that unless i absolutely have too.

SolidSnakeUk89

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
of course if you want to patch it, take a little thin cardboard (like the separators of the notebooks..) cut a slide then place the flex wire, push the cardboard in and hold it with kapton tape and you'll be good to go :D

unfortunately that solution is not valid for me when I sell consoles.. I like them to be as high standard as possible but if the console is yours.. that will last the rest of the life of the console :D

Xandroz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
well the thing is i have this issue with 2 boards
and im trying to revive one of them.
one is on the 1.0 firmware still which is gold

thanks guys ill try with it wont leave it

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replaced at least 4 of those... the easiest way to heat board from the other side, BUT you have to prep the board first to prevent it from delimitation:

- If you have PCB preheater use it, preheat board to 120(C) it's always easier to work with warm board.

1) Place board in oven on 120-150(C) for 5-10 mins to evaporate all "condensed liquid" from between the layers, you can skip that step but it will lower the risks.
2) Remove old connector.
3) Mix existing pads with lead solder and clean pads with Wick, do it slow do not force the process you can mess up the pads.
4) Tin the pads with leaded solder that will lower solder melt point, clean them after with IPA from burned flux.
5) Put very small amount of Flux on pads that will help to hold new connector on place, if you will put too much that will fill connector and it's hard to clean.
6) Place you connector and slowly heat ALL-board from other side to reach melting point

If you will do everything correctly it will be really easy and painless process. Main goal to not rush.

If you have dead board, practice it first.

Last edited by Agilato,

Xandroz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
thx alot man i will take it to a friend who normally reballs ps4 he has a heating workstation.
and we will do as you said

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Up to the plastic of the connector better use low temperature solder paste

But not too low, connector located right on the flow of the hot air and right near heating pipe.
Regular: Rosin Core Solder 63/37 more than good for this job.

PLEASE DO NOT USE: "Leaded Low Temperature Removal Kit Solder" it's very bad for components mount, always clean pads after this thing with wick.
People use this kind of products all over the place especially for some reason it's very popular where temperatures are really hight something like GPUs.
If some one will have to rework other parts of the board it will fall-off without touching...

Please when you doing any soldering work clean after urself and think that most likely you will be the person who will revisit or rework it again!

Last edited by Agilato,

lpoolm

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so i have a motherboard fully functional and its on 1.0 firmware, trying to revive this bad boy.
only thing faulty is this socket.
i tried with hot air but it melted.
anyone replaced one of those before can tell me the right way.

regards
Hi, I also have the same issue and need to replace this connection. Do you happen to know where replacement parts can be ordered from?
I think this might be easier rather then trying to transplant from one machine to another.
Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [cricket sounds]