LCD for Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by mayu29, Jun 11, 2010.

Jun 11, 2010

LCD for Wii by mayu29 at 5:53 PM (1,692 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. mayu29
    OP

Member mayu29 GBAtemp Regular

Romania
    I want to buy an LCD for my Wii and I have to choose between those brands: Samsung, LG and Panasonic. I want to use the component cables but I don't want to use a scart adapter with them. Can you tell which one of these brands has direct outputs for the Wii component cable?

2. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    You mean inputs? And connectivity varies depending on model, even from each manufacturer.

I'd imagine the majority of models from all three will have component input. In order of quality you are looking at Panasonic, Samsung, LG.

3. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    They all should have a component input.

However simply giving brands is useless. Each of the brands has vast numbers of models, each of which will have different specifications.

4. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    All the three brands you have mentioned are compaitable with the Wii.
    But somehow Samsung and LG seem to be better than the Panasonic LCD's.
    Also, talking of the sizes don't go above 40'.

5. mayu29
    OP

Romania
    Ok, thank you for your help. Now I need to choose one of the three brands and it's quite a difficult choice since all of them have the same price, the same size and they are all HD Ready [​IMG]

6. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    about that scart adapter

you know that a component->scart adapter is really just that - an adapter - not an converter(no electronics & no quality loss)
    just be sure that the tv support composite over scart (some dont)

7. guinness

Member guinness GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yes, as you say, bigger than 40 foot just doesn't look right [​IMG]

8. Yukito

Newcomer Yukito Advanced Member

France
    Scart Adapter ? Just to be sure, are you talking about component (red/blue/green/white/red) or composite (yellow/white/red) ?

In any case, since you say they are all HD Ready, they should all have every input (Composite/component/SCART) so there should be no problem with that.

Now for the wii, there is no point trying to go over 40" as the wii only output 480p (using component). I have a 32" Samsung and I think it is the "perfect" size for it
    [​IMG]

What you would want is to take one around 26" - 36" and check which one as the highest contrast ratio (non dynamic).

9. mayu29
    OP

Romania
  10. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I have the 28inch version of that [​IMG] Great TV, only problem being that it doesnt do 1080p. That shouldnt affect you though if all you're going to connect to it is your wii.

11. mayu29
    OP

Romania
    On second thought i found this one. Now it's a tough choice: the reliable Samsung (but only 720p) vs a FullHD LG (1080p but i don't know how reliable is the LG brand). Well, what do you think guys?

12. PrinceNOOB

Member PrinceNOOB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Samsung is pretty good.

13. Yukito

Newcomer Yukito Advanced Member

France
    Without looking at the brand, at would go for the LG one, it has a higher definition which means smaller pixels, so a clearer picture when upscaled compared to the Samsung one.

Though I've got a 720p 32" samsung and from the screenshot I posted above, you can see that it's clear enough already.

For me LG is as reliable as Samsung, after all they are both the first and second largest company in south korea for electronics.

14. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    if you are looking at spending hundreds of dollars for a HDTV, you shouldnt let the wii's lack of HD be your reason for getting a tiny TV. the next generation of consoles will be out before you know it, and you may get stuck with a wii2 and wishing you had bought a bigger TV.

15. mayu29
    OP

Romania
    Indeed you are true, but I think the next Wii console won't be HD and I don't have a big room for a large LCD so I think I'm gonna buy that LG.

16. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    I use a wii on a 50" samsung plasma and it looks good, even if the output of the wii isn't the best in the world. On a 42" samsung of a friends it looks quite poor.

I certainly wouldn't get smaller just to try and make the wii "look better".

I'd take a 720p samsung over a 1080x lg any day of the week, but if you have the money I'd definitely go with panasonic (if you have the money, though, I'd go with pioneer).

17. Drag0nflamez

Member Drag0nflamez GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    720p is good enough. Also, please please please use component cables because of higher quality.