Hacking Layton games daily puzzles and public headers?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To make things short, is it safe to download the daily puzzles in the two Prof. Layton games even when using a public header, or can I get banned from that? Or, does the banning risk only apply to actual multiplayer games?

At the moment I can't dump my own carts (as in, I don't own a Gateway), otherwise that would be the best route, of course.

Also, if you think that it's safe, why do you think so?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Same for me. Just using the untouched scene release .3ds roms for both games, I downloaded all the daily puzzles just a few days ago on my N3DS.

Reactions: d0k3

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, all of the "downloadable" puzzle data was already in the roms. I think the game never actually downloaded anything meaningful when it connected to the server. My theory is that it simply pinged the server to receive a packet to read the current timestamp of the server and compare it to the hardcoded "day 1" timestamp as conditions for the unlock loop code.

EDIT: To write it in a psuedocode syntax, the function would probably be similar to this: (forgive my logic, it's been many many years since I've done any kind of coding)

X = Today - Day1;
Y = 0;
if (X > MaxPuzzle) X = MaxPuzzle;
while (X > 0)
{
if (dlcX.unlock == FALSE)
{
dlcX.unlock = TRUE;
X--;
Y++;
}
else X=0;
}
if (Y == 0) display "Your puzzles are up to date"
else display "New puzzles: Y";

Reactions: d0k3

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
IIRC, all of the "downloadable" puzzle data was already in the roms. I think the game never actually downloaded anything meaningful when it connected to the server. My theory is that it simply pinged the server to receive a packet to read the current timestamp of the server and compare it to the hardcoded "day 1" timestamp as conditions for the unlock loop code.

EDIT: To write it in a psuedocode syntax, the function would probably be similar to this: (forgive my logic, it's been many many years since I've done any kind of coding)

X = Today - Day1;
Y = 0;
if (X > MaxPuzzle) X = MaxPuzzle;
while (X > 0)
{
if (dlcX.unlock == FALSE)
{
dlcX.unlock = TRUE;
X--;
Y++;
}
else X=0;
}
if (Y == 0) display "Your puzzles are up to date"
else display "New puzzles: Y";

Actually, very likely. It was this way with the Layton games on the original DS, too. With these, I never even had to access the internet, I just unlocked the daily puzzles via some savegame hacking.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Actually, very likely. It was this way with the Layton games on the original DS, too. With these, I never even had to access the internet, I just unlocked the daily puzzles via some savegame hacking.
Hey there,

I'm also interested in this. Can you download the daily puzzles without having the game completed?
And how did you do it with the DS games, by the way?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey there,

I'm also interested in this. Can you download the daily puzzles without having the game completed?
And how did you do it with the DS games, by the way?
Oh, well, it's just too long ago now. I remember, though, for 'The Last Specter' that it wasn't all that difficult, and I've been able to use my existing save. You don't actually 'download' these daily puzzles, they are already on the cartridge and you just unlock them. Compared to the regular weekly puzzles, there are also some additional ones. However, there where some that wouldn't work at all (uncompleted?) and some that weren't even translated from japanese.

I also never accessed the internet on my DS Lite. The only type of WiFi encryption that thing offered was already obsolete basically the day the DS Lite was released, so I jiust never had an access point.

Maybe this here is a starting point?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/all-wee...ssor-layton-and-the-last-specter-wifi.312705/

EDIT: I'm pretty sure these AR codes were also in the cheats menu of my M3 Sakura. Or maybe on YSMenu. Just take a look at RetroGameFan's thread to get the most up to date cheat database.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1