Lax moderation when it comes to certain posts

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by soulx, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    So I don't really bitch about GBAtemp moderation anymore but I gotta at least say something about this. I'm beginning to think moderation here is too lax when it comes to posts like the above. I mean, it's not the first time we've gotten shit like that posted on the forums without consequence (dickfour anyone?).

Generally moderation here is pretty chill- the mods let a lot of things slide. But it becomes a problem when we start allowing blatantly racist and offensive posts like the above. Not only does it inhibit the quality of discussion here but it also paves the way for other would-be racists or homophobes to make their voice heard here.

This isn't Stormfront, I like to think of a GBAtemp as a forum with members tolerant of all people regardless of race, sex or gender. But when posts like this are tolerated or removed without nary a suspension or ban to the user in question, you can't help but question if that's really true.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Spooky cute.

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    [​IMG]

This one went hours without being removed and was even liked by some members of the staff before I finally stepped in and reported it.
    Then there are countless other posts from select members on this site who are always attacking other members, derailing threads, flamebait, ect ect, that are still up despite the fact that they were reported.

It's one thing to say, "Hey they are allowed their own opinion" it's another when members are allowed and in some cases encouraged to harass other members on the forums. It sets a bad image for the site and for the community.

Thanatos Telos likes this.
  3. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Can we just put a ban on controversial topics because GBAtemp has the collective mental capacity of a twelve year old?

Like whenever there's anything that isn't lighthearted or gaming related the thread goes to shit. We're a gaming forum, not a political forum.

4. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    First case was reported for a total of 20 minutes before you made this thread, even if staff are online it doesn't mean we will respond immediately to a report (we do our best of course but are only human).

Second case the offensive part that Rydian reported was clipped out by me. You then re-reported it and the post in its entirety was removed which in my opinion was not necessary but different mods have different opinions about this sort of thing.

Anyway the staffs moderating actions are not up for public discussion so closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.