Hacking Lawsuit in Japan. What is the probability ?

fakiresky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in Japan. Have been using SXOS and was banned from the start while trying to get the exfat update. I had no games on the SD cards then. Since then, I have been gaming, using the SXOS stealth option, wifi on to transfer games with FTP. All games are dumps without certificates, or roms I found online. Any risks of Nintendo having logged the content of SD card? Would a lawsuit be likely if they did keep a log? (I know it feels over dramatic, but I still want opinions).

After modding, I found an article from Kotaku about à new law making modding illegal, and then a rebuke on reddit (new member can’t post links, sorry).

[MEsDIA=reddit]KotakuInAction/comments/ac63rm[/MEDIA]

I know Japan has very strict laws but it seems they are just used as deterrent, and actually rarely enforced.

I already had a bad day. Just need someone to tell me that just because I was banned for using CFW, the cops won’t break down my door in the middle of the night! Thanks.

The9thBit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I'm some expert on Japanese law, but afaik this kind of law is akin to the ones that ban piracy; in other words, it's technically illegal, but it's almost certain that nothing will happen.

Bottom line is, Nintendo isn't going to sue you. It's not worth their time or money to track down each and every console modder, and it's not worth it for the police either. It's far more likely that they go after the SX OS devs directly.

Reactions: The0919

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
It's the same with penalties for pirating movies and downloading them from the internet.
Just like with those, they go after the people recording the movies in cinema's and people putting them online.
People who download them have never been sued just for downloading them.
Usually they sue people in conjunction with other offenses.

Japanese prosecutors haven't even gone after some of the illegal manga/anime sites which about 60% of all Japanese use for their daily manga needs.

As long as you are not a distributor of illegal roms or putting your own copies online, nobody comes after you.
That's the same in most other countries.

fakiresky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the wisdom. That puts my mind at ease. Actually, on the Reseller tab of team-exécuter, you can find links to a couple of resellers based in Japan. They also provide mods for the 3ds but still haven’t been put out of business.

Last edited by fakiresky,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs