Hardware Launching for $/€499 / £429? Are they serious?

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
When I can get an Xbox One for free on contract, then you can make the comparisons. I'd never buy a phone. They're too expensive and they're too quickly made redundant by newer technology. You can't even have a phone for a year these days without a newer model coming out. It's a lot better and a lot cheaper to have a contract that allows you to upgrade your phone.

I also wouldn't buy a phone unlocked, but me and you aren't many people. There are people who will get what they want at whatever price because they want it.
In my case it depends on one thing, if Forza 5 is available at launch. If it is, the console is a day 1 purchase for me. I don't care about the price, or the used games shit, or the online authenticating shit. I want the game and need the console to play it.

D

Deleted-236924

Lol@people thinking sony will say their product lower than 500. How much did the ps3 cost at launch?
And yet, we could say the same of the XBox 360. Launch price much lower than the PS3, yet the XBox One has a much higher launch price than the PS4.
If you're going to try and base yourself on the launch price of the PS3 to guess that the launch price of the PS4 will be, you're going to have a bad time.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SEGA Saturn launched at $399 in US 18 years ago and sold poorly, but its poor sales were more down to bad marketing, poor distribution and programmer-unfriendliness. Even the PS1 was $299 at launch but still dominated a generation where N64 launched at $199.

Who remembers what the Atari VCS 2600 launched for back in 1977? $199! That was just a little less than the average monthly rent at that time.

The PS3 actually beat out the 360 current generation I believe.

There is more involved in the success or failure of a console than just the launch price. I for one like the idea of a box that does everything the XBOX One does in one cool looking unit. Also - Halo 5, for me anyway, makes the machine a must-own.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Consoles will always be expensive at launch.
Werther it be 1977 or 2013.

They will get cheaper down the run~

Consoles are cheaper when a camera cum motion detector isn't included in the price.

I gaem in my room and there is no where near enough space for me to actually use it. Paying £430 for a console which includes, which for me will be, a brick would be fucking amazing stupidity on my part.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Consoles are cheaper when a camera cum motion detector isn't included in the price.

I gaem in my room and there is no where near enough space for me to actually use it. Paying £430 for a console which includes, which for me will be, a brick would be fucking amazing stupidity on my part.

Shush you!
I now got a HD camera recording me "activities"

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Consoles will always be expensive at launch.
Werther it be 1977 or 2013.

They will get cheaper down the run~

True. There is just one thing these companies and specially Microsoft are failing to realize:

While these companies keep their pockets flooded with money, and they think everything is awesome, last I checked, a big portion of the world is struggling to survive. There is a financial crisis going on. Things aren't as financially stable as they were back in 1980's, 1990's and early 2000's.

At these prices, Xbox One will crash and burn.

No buy from me. That is more than I earn in a whole month. Ridiculous.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's capitalism for you.

The rich will get richer and the poor get poorer.
1930's also had a great financial crisis, but we survived.
Same thing happened back then, rich got richer and poor got poorer.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's capitalism for you.

The rich will get richer and the poor get poorer.
1930's also had a great financial crisis, but we survived.
Same thing happened back then, rich got richer and poor got poorer.

Indeed.

Well, my point is clear: drop to a reasonable price, or I wont buy an Xbox One. I'll buy an Xbox Zero.

But we'll have to see how things turn out.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I personally also think 500 quid is madness.
But meh, I don't make the prices.

The 360 gets 5 extra years of support (plus another 5 for the Live servers prolly) so you shouldn't need one any time soon ;p

Reactions: WhiteMaze

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
$500 isn't an unreasonable price. Just because the WiiU is made of rocks and fucking duct tape and can sell for a few $ doesn't mean MS or Sony can do the same with their console.

Consoles are expensive to make, and this is a business. They're trying to make money, not give you free entertainment cuz they're swell guys.
If people crying went out and got a job instead of whining about prices you could probably afford the thing. Microsoft isn't a bunch of overpricing stingy shits just because they're trying to make money by :blink: ...RUNNING A BUSINESS!

I get a laugh out of people. Too expensive? Don't buy. No point crying and calling Microsoft names, they don't give a shit. Why would they.

Also i'll note, i'm not getting the xbone. Too many restrictions, but even still I don't find $500 to be wildly unreasonable, just more than i'm willing to pay just to get a brand new console that will only be relevant to me after a year of game releases.

Reactions: Ethevion

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I got Prime