Launch Wii DVD drive dead, need help please

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mixtracks, Jul 26, 2010.

Jul 26, 2010
  1. mixtracks
    OP

Newcomer mixtracks Newbie

United States
    I have a launch Wii that the DVD drive finally bit the dust. The gears on the side that load and eject the disc broke teeth off.

I originally modded the Wii with a wiinja deluxe, then more recently, did a softmod following this guide:
    http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/

My questions are:

1. I have a DMS drive in there now (the broken one). Would I be OK buying a replacement D2A drive off ebay? I will not re-use the wiinja deluxe and only want to play backups and originals through the softmod. Basically, will the softmod have problems reading backups with a D2A drive?

2. Will I have to reinstall any softmods? I am asking this because I don't know if anything in the softmod process actually installs anything to the drive itself, and putting in a new drive will require me to re-softmod? Or does the softmod not install anything to the drive itself.

3. Does anyone want a DMS drive with a wiinja deluxe soldered to the board? Everything on the drive works except the load/unload mechanism. Will give away (except for shipping) to anyone who wants it. That is, if everything with the new one works out OK when I buy and install it.

Thanks,
    Bryan

edit... also I am on 4.2, does that change with the new drive, or is that separate also? I don't want the new drive to have a new (4.3) installed on it (if that is even possible)?

2. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    Well I would only be able to answer one of the questions. Someone else will certainly help you with the others.

2.(Q) Will I have to reinstall any softmods? I am asking this because I don't know if anything in the softmod process actually installs anything to the drive itself, and putting in a new drive will require me to re-softmod? Or does the softmod not install anything to the drive itself.

(A) Nope. The soft mods are not involved with the drive in anyway. They're inside of the Wii's nand not the drive. So you can change the drive if you want, it won't affect the softmods you've done with the Wii already such as; cIOS installation, cMIOS installation, DvDx etc etc...

Hope I helped for that only question.

3. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    To answer #1: All drive models fit in all wiis. As long as the drive is not a D3-2 or D4, it will read backups just fine.

4. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    I actually once found a site in the US that can sell those gears or repair it for you, and I think it would be cheaper than to buy the complete drive...!!

5. mixtracks
    OP

Newcomer mixtracks Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the info guys. I ordered the replacement drive. I could not get just the gears, one of the posts that the gear attached to also broke off (along with the gear teeth.)