Latest sales estimate shows that the Nintendo Switch has surpassed the N64's lifetime sales

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 23, 2019.

Front-page
    swotch.

It wasn't much of a shock when the Nintendo Switch managed to eclipse its predecessor, the Nintendo Wii U, in terms of sales. The latest Nintendo system has been an incredibly popular console, breaking multiple sales records in the two years since it launched. Now, the latest console to be outsold is the Nintendo 64, according to new sales estimates. Sales tracking database VGChartz claims that throughout the first half of April, around 200,000 Switch units were shifted worldwide, putting lifetime sales of the system just a tad over the N64's. In December of 2018, Nintendo had announced that the Switch had reached sales of 32.27 million units, while the N64 had achieved 32.93 million in its lifespan. If these sales estimates are to be believed, then in the time since January 2019, over 500,000 Nintendo Switch consoles have been sold. That means the Switch could have managed to outsell the Nintendo 64 in just over two years, while the latter had six years on the market. The next system on the Switch's conquest list is the Super Nintendo, which sold a massive 49.1 million consoles back in its day.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (37 replies)
  1. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    Good job Nintendo, ya did good...

2. grey72

grey72 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 5, 2018
    Antarctica
    About Here-ish
    It's like the next Wii, but good

3. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Assuming variants are coming, I think it'll outsell 3DS within a few more years. Lifetime it might get close to Wii numbers or just barely beat it out.

4. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Shit thts unbelievable I bought 3 nintendo 64s:lol:

5. tpax

tpax GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Well, in the earlier days they offered a home console + handheld. Now they only have one device, which means we need to count x-gen-console + x-gen-handheld numbers. If Switch can't surpass those numbers combined, then it's not as successful as it may appear to the public.

MarkDarkness and CoolStarDood like this.
  6. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    The sales figures are just crazy for a console that's been on the market for just two years, I agree about it being able to overtake the 3DS. After all, while it's been a succesful system, sometimes people forget the 3DS' first years have been pretty rough in terms of sales, at least before Pokémon X/Y came about...
    About the Wii, it's a long shot, however it may very well happen if Nintendo releases a cheaper, cut-down version of the Switch kinda like the 2DS - and rumors aside, it isn't too hard to see it being made sooner or later :P

Xzi, CoolStarDood and x65943 like this.
  7. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    As a big Nintendo fanboy, I am happy they have been able to climb out of the hole the wiiu left them in

That blunder had me pretty scared for the company, and I wasn't sure if their home market would ever recover

8. sTo0z

sTo0z GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2004
    United States
    USA
    Awesome news, I really enjoy my Switch, but I'm still worried about their seeming interest in mobile crap...

9. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Man, like I know what you are saying but the years the Wii was popular were some of the best years of my life. I don't mean that to sound morbid or depressed, either. Legit, taking my Wii around to my friends' houses, playing Wii Sports with everyone, just... what a great time to be alive.

10. grey72

grey72 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 5, 2018
    Antarctica
    About Here-ish
    Hey, I know that feel, but in 2014 instead

CoolStarDood and BORTZ like this.
  11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    That's not really true either because a lot of people owned both console and handheld, plus the 3DS is still being sold.

mathew77 and CoolStarDood like this.
  12. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Yes the wii days were cool but the nostalgia of the N64 playing Mario kart, Mario 64, banjo with your best mates was a good time.

BORTZ and DANTENDO like this.
  13. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Yup snes to n64 was a massive leap and I was always looking through the magazines to see the latest images of Mario 64 and of course the controller design

Reecey likes this.
  14. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I will say the whole idea of being able to just slide off a controller, rotate it, and hand it to a friend to play with you ANYWHERE is pretty dang cool. I wish there was a Wii Sports S[witch].

fst312, Xzi, Green Mii and 1 other person like this.
  15. tpax

tpax GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2014
    Gambia, The
    While that may be true, it doesn't matter. Unit sold through is a unit sold through. And 3DS is absolutely irrelevant saleswise.

16. Mr. Looigi

Mr. Looigi Attracts all of the shitposters

Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Rec Center
    Hmm...
    They need a N64 virtual console still

x65943 likes this.
  17. aykay55

aykay55 Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Where the buffalo roam.
    I guess that means we’ll never get Virtual Console...:cry:

18. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    They killed the thought of that when they created that retro game Netflix thing

aykay55 and Mr. Looigi like this.
  19. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Maniac

May 28, 2015
    Yup you did good to surpass another system that wasnt very popular really.