Latest Pokemon Sword and Shield trailer shows off new Pokemon and Gigantamax

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 8, 2019.

1. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    this is what i dont get, they made a mechanic that all pokemons can use who is gonna fynamax a methapod or something? seriously makes no sence imo, they gave themselves stupid work when they could have made only certain pokemons or atleast final evos dynamax only, imo it was a piss poor strategy, i guess they want you to dynamax while playing through the game even with your noone evolved pokemons and such imo, still preety lame, i bet most dynamax forms will never see the light of day because most people will never dynamax crappy first or second evo pokemons.

2. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    so Dynamax and Gigantomax are two different forms? I can Imagine there would be a game bug Gigantamaxing Wailord :tpi:

3. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    I will skip these games just like I did with X and Y.

I didn't like Mega evolution, Z moves were okay, but I want is three vs three battles or at least a game focused on two va two like Coliseum.

4. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    They all seem equally unnecessary, one gimmick is as good as the next. I'm much more interested in the open world content and raid battles.

Tiger21820 likes this.
  5. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    Btw wich dynamax crystals being in a download code to spawn larvitar max raid and deino this porbably means tyranitar will have a gigantomax mode too which means he has a mega evo on previous consoles and gigantamax evo on new gen lol.

6. tatripp

tatripp GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    The new pokemon look like the fighting polygon team from Smash 64. They are way too angular, simple, and uninspired; this is coming from a guy who doesn't mind kelfki and that trashbag pokemon. Imagine how cool and fluid pokemon would look if it goes to 2d sprites in HD. Think Pokemon B/W but better.

DarthDub and DuoForce like this.
  7. ROMANREIGNS599

ROMANREIGNS599 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2017
    United States
    What
    I think, III THINK, The problem is that if there is the same mechanic each time, it would get boring after time, let it not be some time

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

But mega evolutions were great. This just makes the Pokemon bigger and more powerful, what’s that

8. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    yeah dont mind them they want all games to be just gen 1 mechanics, barebones i guess.

imo while z moves were kinda sucky mega evos werent gimmikys, it made some pokemons actualy usable like beedril, pinsir and such that you would never pick on a regular battle becuase all they do, there is 10 pokemons that do it better.

9. ROMANREIGNS599

May 6, 2017
    United States
    Yeah I recalled and actually edited my first post because z moves weren’t any good as well

10. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Sheesh, at this point, how many times has Pokemon "jumped the shark"? But hey, game sells like hot cakes, so I cannot blame them, lol.

11. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    I was excited for no Mega Evolution because it was restricted to specific Pokemon. Glad I didn't preorder.

12. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Hmm no wonder rule 34 was blowing up again

13. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    I sure if I want to talk bad about a Pokemon gen, I would never run out of material.

Pokemon game was never perfect and no matter what GF do, there always people hate it. But as long as majority of fan base still want to play it, we won't need to worry much about it.

14. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    It is weird to me that they aren't bringing over at least the past Mega Evolutions when they are still going through the trouble of doing Gigantamax.

15. diggeloid

diggeloid Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    It amazes me that there are still people out there who get excited for these games. Every Pokemon game since maybe Emerald has been shittier than the last. Most developers make an effort to make new installments in a series better than the previous releases, but it seems like Gamefreak and/or Nintendo have been actively trying to do the complete opposite of that.

Who wants 10,000+ pokemon species? Who wanted a freaking keyring for pokemon? Why can pokemon still only learn 4 moves? Why are the games always so damn easy for anyone who isn't a genuine beginner to the series? Why are pokemon/attack types still just basic rock-paper-scissor equations which pretty much always end the same? Why are the graphics always so shit by modern standards? (except for maybe Let's Go) Why haven't they attempted to add any real depth to the gameplay? Why is it always the same shit every generation, except with more pokemon and 1 or maybe 2 shitty gimmicky mechanics like mega evolution or this "gigantamax" monstrosity of a name?!

I'm so damn exhausted with Nintendo's bullshit/laziness when it comes to Pokemon. Where's the creativity, innovation, and attention to detail we've seen in Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey?

16. jahrs

jahrs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    New Jersey
    Did we ever get a reason for no megas evos beyond just nope? cause if they were looking for a way to balance a game maybe they should have kept all the previous stuff and just made it post game only or something. Either way this doesnt count as a main line pokemon game if they remove half of the usual content that was in the previous mainline game. So as of right now this might be gen 8 but its in the same category as lets go eevee/pikachu a side gimmicky game. Doesnt mean it cant be fun but it does mean ill be getting my black umbrella ready since i wont be shelling out cash for this half baked game.

DuoForce likes this.
  17. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The reason seems to be that Gigantamax is basically the same thing. Pokemon change form in addition to becoming massive. I think they could've gotten away with re-using mega evolution models for Gigantamax, but I guess it's a good thing that they're putting the extra work in instead, so as to not confuse the two.

Are additional Pokemon really "content," though? I'd consider them more along the lines of customization options. The content of mainline games has stayed mostly consistent over the years: eight towns, eight gym leaders, and some sort of final gauntlet challenge. Sword and Shield appear to have all that, as well as the open-world aspect and other additions.

18. ROMANREIGNS599

May 6, 2017
    United States
    Oh my god, that’s fu**ing ridiculous xD

19. goldensun87

goldensun87 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2017
    United States
    Man, this is so bad, I might not even acquire a backup of this game. Forget about buying it.

20. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    I have to admit even shiny hunting is terribly easy now compared to the gameboy generation. Even tho Pkhex is an option I still shiny hunt in-game only to clone them via Pkhex for trades