• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 4,030
  • Replies 37
  • Likes 9
D

Deleted_171835

OP
The latest PC graphics cards are already "24 times more powerful than the one in the Xbox 360," according to a new report.

An exploration of constantly-improving current-gen console graphics by New Scientist features the comparison by Nvidia's principal engineer Simon Green.

"One day, the whole idea of owning a separate piece of hardware to play games on might be completely redundant," Green suggests.

Reasons graphics keep improving on the same old tech includes greater artistic investment and the continued development of new graphical tricks according to the article, which concludes that "even the next generation of consoles is unlikely to match," the high-end PCs that recently demonstrated Epic's Unreal Engine 4.
http://www.nowgamer....a_engineer.html

s6vXp.gif

7PLLYLB8.jpg

Reactions: 9 people

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that the GPU alone can cost up to double (quadruple if you go for bleeding edge Nvidias) what the Xbox costs.
Xbox 360, new: $200
Gaming PC (the one I'm planning to build, at least): $1200

5x the cost for 24x the graphics is not a bad trade, but some people just don't have $1000. Others are just dumb/lazy and want to put the disc in and just have it work.

Not to mention things like the WiiU tablet and the Kinect aren't (to my knowledge) being done in PC gaming.
(I'm well aware of the Kinect SDK, but I'm not familiar with much good being done with it.)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Startling.

I'm glad to hear that processors are moving along so quickly, but what is this supposed to prove exactly? That console has been around for what, 6 or 7 years? I'd be worried if there hadn't been significant leaps forward.

Reactions: 2 people

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
24 times? if u've played the same game on pc and ps3 eg. assassin's creed or batman, u will notice that its more fun at times to play it on console than pc. its not always about graphics.

I've played both games on a console and pc and it's the same gameplay as the console but sharper graphics, your post doesn't make sense.

Last time I checked you could plug a controller into a pc,

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
24 times? if u've played the same game on pc and ps3 eg. assassin's creed or batman, u will notice that its more fun at times to play it on console than pc. its not always about graphics.

I've played both games on a console and pc and it's the same gameplay as the console but sharper graphics, your post doesn't make sense.

Most folks don't have a couch or recliner sitting in front of their PC, nor a large flat-screen TV as their PC monitor. Controllers aside, Console gaming is just a more comfortable and satisfying experience as a whole. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: 4 people

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Startling.

I'm glad to hear that processors are moving along so quickly, but what is this supposed to prove exactly? That console has been around for what, 6 or 7 years? I'd be worried if there hadn't been significant leaps forward.

PC cards are actually outpacing expectations compared to Moore's law.
The x360 was comparable to high end PCs when it came out so:

6.58 years / 2yrs = 3.29 "doubles" Moore's Law
2 ^ 3.29 = 9.78x (projected gpu improvement)

So if you're using Moore's law as a baseline* for where GPUs should be, 24x improvement in 6 1/2 years is hella impressive.

*(I know this is kinda 'apples to oranges' but the comparison just points out how impressive the stated level of improvement is (if true))

Reactions: 2 people

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Startling.

This. What...we expected graphic cards to stay the same? At the rate we advance I'm surprised its not 50x.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Most folks don't have a couch or recliner sitting in front of their PC, nor a large flat-screen TV as their PC monitor. Controllers aside, Console gaming is just a more comfortable and satisfying experience as a whole. But that's just my opinion.

So your basing your opinion on what furniture people are sitting on and guessing what screen they are playing with? I had my pc hooked up to my 50" the other week and was playing using a wireless controller using a receiver, What pc gamer doesn't use a decent monitor/screen? Anything a console can do a pc can do better. If you said a lot of pc games are ridden with drm like Assasin creed always online drm to be able to play then I would agree with you or mentioned terrible ported console games that run like shit. However as I said your guessing what equipment people have.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

So your basing your opinion on what furniture people are sitting on and guessing what screen they are playing with? I had my pc hooked up to my 50" the other week and was playing using a wireless controller using a receiver, What pc gamer doesn't use a decent monitor/screen? Anything a console can do a pc can do better. If you said a lot of pc games are ridden with drm like Assasin creed always online drm to be able to play then I would agree with you or mentioned terrible ported console games that run like shit. However as I said your guessing what equipment people have.
Most PC gamers do in fact game at their computer desks. It makes no sense to move your pc to your big screen tv just to play some games. That experience can be had by a console. For example, 2 weeks ago I wanted to play Pokemon FireRed using visualboyadvance. I moved my laptop to my tv and connected it via hdmi. I then said to myself "What the fuck am I doing?" and just booted up the wii and used the visualboy advance from there. Also, there are plenty of PC gamers who game on old CRT monitors. I use a tiny 17" screen.

You shouldn't get aggressive about someone's OPINION.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Most PC gamers do in fact game at their computer desks. It makes no sense to move your pc to your big screen tv just to play some games. That experience can be had by a console. For example, 2 weeks ago I wanted to play Pokemon FireRed using visualboyadvance. I moved my laptop to my tv and connected it via hdmi. I then said to myself "What the fuck am I doing?" and just booted up the wii and used the visualboy advance from there. Also, there are plenty of PC gamers who game on old CRT monitors. I use a tiny 17" screen.

Aggressive? I'm not allowed to state my opinion because you don't agree with what I said, I'm all of a sudden "aggressive"

I don't agree with what he said and stated that I felt the information in his post was invalid.

Maybe you would like everyone in Gbatemp to be a sheep and agree with everyone or yourself or they are "aggresive" "ummm I like dah xbox cuz it's super"

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

Aggressive? I'm not allowed to state my opinion because you don't agree with what I said, I'm all of a sudden "aggressive"
You mentioned things such as DRM on PC games and saying anything a console can do a PC can do better. NO ONE stated otherwise.

Anyway on-topic, I am glad to see PC graphics hardware upgrade so quick. As time goes by, it just means previous models become more affordable, which is always a good thing. :)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The latest PC graphics cards are already "24 times more powerful than the one in the Xbox 360," according to a new report.

Oh FFS... 2012 compared to 2005... Yea, way to go.

You're all so damn ignorant.. It's kinda cute. ;)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Startling.

I came in here to say exactly that. Why is the important to me? We all know the obviously computers have advanced while the current consoles have to remain stagnant.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem is that the GPU alone can cost up to double (quadruple if you go for bleeding edge Nvidias) what the Xbox costs.
Xbox 360, new: $200
Gaming PC (the one I'm planning to build, at least): $1200

5x the cost for 24x the graphics is not a bad trade, but some people just don't have $1000. Others are just dumb/lazy and want to put the disc in and just have it work.

Not to mention things like the WiiU tablet and the Kinect aren't (to my knowledge) being done in PC gaming.
(I'm well aware of the Kinect SDK, but I'm not familiar with much good being done with it.)

A top end video card still has a high resale value 2 years down the road, consoles generally don't. The reason being that if you went straight for top of the line, you wouldn't have to upgrade for a couple of years at least, most games won't push dual graphics cards and most top end single cards are more then powerful enough to last 3 years before needing replacing. The reason there is such a turn over in graphics cards is because they are constantly getting more powerful, using less energy and producing less heat as the die shrinks improve. The 28nm die shrink is likely the smallest fabrication process they can safely get to for desktop graphics, however I could see them making 8-12nm mobile chips in the future. Now it's a matter of improving heat disspation and improving cooling all around without using a water loop.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm glad to hear that processors are moving along so quickly, but what is this supposed to prove exactly? That console has been around for what, 6 or 7 years?
The way I understood it, next gen console speculation and announcements are usually in comparison to the current generation, for example the WiiU is supposedly "twice as powerful as the X360" or "the PS4 will be four times as powerful as the PS3", and 24 is way higher than the numbers that come up in such talk. Maybe that's the significance. Dunno.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: