Latest PC GPUs '24x More Powerful Than Xbox 360 GPU' - Nvidia

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Jun 15, 2012.

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    http://www.nowgamer....a_engineer.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 people like this.

2. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    The problem is that the GPU alone can cost up to double (quadruple if you go for bleeding edge Nvidias) what the Xbox costs.
    Xbox 360, new: $200
    Gaming PC (the one I'm planning to build, at least): $1200

5x the cost for 24x the graphics is not a bad trade, but some people just don't have $1000. Others are just dumb/lazy and want to put the disc in and just have it work.

Not to mention things like the WiiU tablet and the Kinect aren't (to my knowledge) being done in PC gaming.
    (I'm well aware of the Kinect SDK, but I'm not familiar with much good being done with it.)

3. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Well, you know...um...
    [​IMG]
    Seriously, "Ok" is the only thing I can think about.

4. Crimsonclaw111

Member Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    nVidia is probably just upset because AMD got all the console contracts. :tpi:

3 people like this.
  5. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Yeah, I'd just about jizz myself if there was a GeForce based console.

6. Tom Bombadildo
    This message by Tom Bombadildo has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Jun 15, 2012
  7. TehSkull
    This message by TehSkull has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Jun 15, 2012
  8. Tom Bombadildo
    This message by Tom Bombadildo has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Jun 15, 2012
  9. M[u]ddy
    This message by M[u]ddy has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Jun 15, 2012
  10. Bladexdsl
    This message by Bladexdsl has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Jun 15, 2012
  11. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    24 times? if u've played the same game on pc and ps3 eg. assassin's creed or batman, u will notice that its more fun at times to play it on console than pc. its not always about graphics.

1 person likes this.
  12. air2004
    This message by air2004 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Jun 15, 2012
  13. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Let's keep it on topic. No one wants to see ten pages full of PC builds.

14. air2004
    This message by air2004 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Jun 15, 2012
  15. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Startling.

I'm glad to hear that processors are moving along so quickly, but what is this supposed to prove exactly? That console has been around for what, 6 or 7 years? I'd be worried if there hadn't been significant leaps forward.

2 people like this.
  16. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I've played both games on a console and pc and it's the same gameplay as the console but sharper graphics, your post doesn't make sense.

Last time I checked you could plug a controller into a pc,

17. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Most folks don't have a couch or recliner sitting in front of their PC, nor a large flat-screen TV as their PC monitor. Controllers aside, Console gaming is just a more comfortable and satisfying experience as a whole. But that's just my opinion.

4 people like this.
  18. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica

PC cards are actually outpacing expectations compared to Moore's law.
    The x360 was comparable to high end PCs when it came out so:

6.58 years / 2yrs = 3.29 "doubles" Moore's Law
    2 ^ 3.29 = 9.78x (projected gpu improvement)

So if you're using Moore's law as a baseline* for where GPUs should be, 24x improvement in 6 1/2 years is hella impressive.

*(I know this is kinda 'apples to oranges' but the comparison just points out how impressive the stated level of improvement is (if true))

2 people like this.
  19. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    This. What...we expected graphic cards to stay the same? At the rate we advance I'm surprised its not 50x.

20. thegame07

United Kingdom
    So your basing your opinion on what furniture people are sitting on and guessing what screen they are playing with? I had my pc hooked up to my 50" the other week and was playing using a wireless controller using a receiver, What pc gamer doesn't use a decent monitor/screen? Anything a console can do a pc can do better. If you said a lot of pc games are ridden with drm like Assasin creed always online drm to be able to play then I would agree with you or mentioned terrible ported console games that run like shit. However as I said your guessing what equipment people have.

21. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Most PC gamers do in fact game at their computer desks. It makes no sense to move your pc to your big screen tv just to play some games. That experience can be had by a console. For example, 2 weeks ago I wanted to play Pokemon FireRed using visualboyadvance. I moved my laptop to my tv and connected it via hdmi. I then said to myself "What the fuck am I doing?" and just booted up the wii and used the visualboy advance from there. Also, there are plenty of PC gamers who game on old CRT monitors. I use a tiny 17" screen.

You shouldn't get aggressive about someone's OPINION.

22. thegame07

United Kingdom
    Aggressive? I'm not allowed to state my opinion because you don't agree with what I said, I'm all of a sudden "aggressive"

I don't agree with what he said and stated that I felt the information in his post was invalid.

Maybe you would like everyone in Gbatemp to be a sheep and agree with everyone or yourself or they are "aggresive" "ummm I like dah xbox cuz it's super"

23. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    You mentioned things such as DRM on PC games and saying anything a console can do a PC can do better. NO ONE stated otherwise.

Anyway on-topic, I am glad to see PC graphics hardware upgrade so quick. As time goes by, it just means previous models become more affordable, which is always a good thing. :)

24. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    Oh FFS... 2012 compared to 2005... Yea, way to go.

You're all so damn ignorant.. It's kinda cute. ;)

25. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I came in here to say exactly that. Why is the important to me? We all know the obviously computers have advanced while the current consoles have to remain stagnant.

26. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    A top end video card still has a high resale value 2 years down the road, consoles generally don't. The reason being that if you went straight for top of the line, you wouldn't have to upgrade for a couple of years at least, most games won't push dual graphics cards and most top end single cards are more then powerful enough to last 3 years before needing replacing. The reason there is such a turn over in graphics cards is because they are constantly getting more powerful, using less energy and producing less heat as the die shrinks improve. The 28nm die shrink is likely the smallest fabrication process they can safely get to for desktop graphics, however I could see them making 8-12nm mobile chips in the future. Now it's a matter of improving heat disspation and improving cooling all around without using a water loop.

27. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    The way I understood it, next gen console speculation and announcements are usually in comparison to the current generation, for example the WiiU is supposedly "twice as powerful as the X360" or "the PS4 will be four times as powerful as the PS3", and 24 is way higher than the numbers that come up in such talk. Maybe that's the significance. Dunno.