Latest haul: One DS Lite, one R4DS

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Sentient, Feb 21, 2007.

Feb 21, 2007
  1. Sentient
    OP

Newcomer Sentient Member

Sweden
    I finally did it. When the DS was originally release I was intrigued by the possibilites of a handheld system that used an original control mechanism, but I decided to wait to see how it fared in the long run. It was clear after some time that Nintendo had a major, major hit on their hands. Most of the critics were silenced when it became clear that the DS was the next big thing in handheld gaming - and I, now, had every reason in the world to buy one. But then the rumours of an upgrade started to circulate: Lighter, thinner, better looking. All those things and more made me wait. It seemed like ages before the DS Lite was finally unveiled to the world and I knew I hade to eventually have one - but due to the usual state of things I didn't have the financial means to actually buy one, so I had to wait some more.

About 6 or so months ago I started to look into the whole ROM and Homebrew scene again, something I had been quite into back in my GBA days. Everywhere I looked it seemed that while both scenes was flourishing the devices that actually let you enjoy a quite pirates life were either too complicated (flashmes, passmes and what evere else) and to expensive relative to the hassle of getting it to work with most games and homebrew. Again there were rumours of a new type of flashcard that would ease the experience of transfering games and possibly even homebrew - so true to what I'd been doing for the last 2 years I waited some more.

Then, finally, the slot-1 cards arrived on the scene. I thought to myself that I now I really had no reason to hold off from buying both a DS Lite and a flash-card, so I began looking around, scouring the web for information about different cards. Much to my dismay I saw that the two best candidates, the R4 and M3 Simply, didn't support much of the homebrew that was released. For a short time I thought I was back at square one again, that I had to wait even more before I could get back into some serious gaming. Then, all of a sudden, I saw that most homebrew applications were begining to get patched so they could be used on both the R4 and M3 Simply. That's when I took the plunge: Last week I ordered my R4DS, today I bought my very first DS Lite.

Do I need to tell you how I feel? It's like I've gone back 17 years in time when I first started with pc/video-gaming - and man does that ever feel good. Feeling like a kid again sure is worth every penny of the $340 I spent.

2. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    I surely know how you feel.. got that first feeling when I got my G6 and a slightly less one when getting my R4.. good stuff [​IMG]
    Anyways, glad you decided to join in and have fun with your future pira... backuping life [​IMG]

3. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Haha I was reallly excited when I got mine too. I had a DS Lite, and had to wait for the flashcard to arrive. So I just borrowed games from my friends in the time being. When I finally got it, I felt so free to play whatever games I want just with a micro sd and a flashcard. I didn't have to waste any more money than I already did. Though I got my DS lite for really good deal. $100 brand new polar white, DS lite. And with micro SD and an R4, About $85 more (it's CAD). Spent a total of $185, and if I were to buy a DS lite from retailer, it would've been $170 already including tax. So I'm happy with what I got. [​IMG]

4. wild03

Newcomer wild03 Member

United States
    haha! man I know how you feel, I'm still waiting for my $127 OTD black lite from Target and the $35 R4 from china, already have the $11 micro from meritline.

I don't know how you spend $340...but I'm glad you are happy! [​IMG]

5. Sentient
    OP

Newcomer Sentient Member

Sweden
    What can say? $214 for the DS Lite, another 114 for the R4 plus 1Gb micro SD memory and about $10 for various other expenses. We northern europeans have way higher VAT than you amerikaner. I'm a cheap bastard in many ways but this time it was no holds barred. Besides I managed to sell my bought-in-Japan PSP with one game (Rush) for about $170 - and that was without the USB-cable. packaging or warranty (since it was bought i n Japan), and that was a model TA-82 with firmware version 2.81 (the one you need to hunt down a old copy of GTA to be able to downgrade). A brand new PSP with one game and 2 years warranty will set you back about $270 - so it was a an okay deal. Anyhow, the fact that the DS Lite so far is the most fun I've hade with a console since the SNES and F-Zero for the Gamecube makes it so worth it. I mean, we're talking some of the best platformers there is on the DS: Yoshi's Island 2, NSMB, Super Princes Peach, both Castlevanias, both Kirby games (man, Canvas Curse is freaking awesome! One of the most innovative control schemes in any platformer of late), Mega Man ZX etc. Can you tell I'm a born again fanboy? [​IMG]

6. eltia

Newcomer eltia Member

Canada
    I agree. NDS + R4 is definitely a long seeking dream comes true for us gamers. Homebrews work great on R4 (the one I use anyways) too.

The only thing I found unsatisfactory in R4 is the spring loader mechanism. I think it is much better if the micro SD is inserted from the side and the manufacturer includes a more rigid loading pocket.

7. zone97

Member zone97 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What truely needs to happen is this... Nintendo needs to face the fact that people who are going to get games for free will, and those who are going to pay will... with that in mind they need to create a way for people to legaly rip roms or pay to download them. Becasue it is far more convenient to have 20+ games on one card than it is to have to carry around 20+ individual games.

We also need a slot one ripping solution, eventually the slot 2 items will be very outdated, no one will make them anymore.

8. eltia

Newcomer eltia Member

Canada
    iTunes for the gaming industry?

I could understand why the music industry needs something like iTunes. Consumers like to buy the songs they like and not to be handcuffed by bundles shuffle down by music industry. So MP3 makes sense to me from an economical point of view.

But for gaming industry, it seems to me most games are pretty self contained. So if you like a particular title, I don't see why people cannot go purchase a copy off the shelf and play it on their NDS. If 1st hand copy is too expensive, you could try used copies. e.g. 2nd hand copy costs around $15-20 in Canada (with no tax and shipping). That's around the cost of watching a movie + food in a theatre over weekends.

What I think R4 (and other flash carts as well) have done right, is to provide the ability to make backup copies of save games. Let's face it, hardware can fail. And it is quite well known that some games have manufacturing defect in it which could corrupt save files (e.g. Harvest Moon DS). Nintendo should do something about this, rather than tossing the balls around between the game developing companies and themselves.

I don't really think Nintendo should go for DRM though. I haven't seen a single DRM that hasn't been cracked or broken by design. (It's just waste of money and make things harder for legitimate consumers.) People do pirate stuff (just like stealing in society). But by now people should come to a consensus that if all people pirate (steal), there will be no good products (apples) in a long run. So if you like a game a lot, by all means purchase a copy.

I kind of agree Nintendo should provide games in ROM format in some way. Flash carts and homebrews are great complimenting products to NDS! But the problem has always been that once the ROM file is in the ether (network), people tend to just download it and fails to pay for it (either pirating or just forget about it). Licensing model for games is a little gay. I am not sure if majority of consumers will come to accept the premise that they purchase the rights to play a game but not the game itself, and that right can be revoked.

9. CCNaru

Member CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

United States
    Nintendo doesn't make all the games...most of the money goes to the 3rd party developers, which would have to pay Nintendo to put it on the system or something...

10. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    You just have to look at the claims they made for blu-ray and HD DVD moves. They'll take 20 years to crack. After not even 20 months they can rip the discs. Just imagine the millions thats been spent for more protection and not many people seem interested in it.

11. Sentient
    OP

Newcomer Sentient Member

Sweden
    This is an interesting discussion, and not one likely to be solved anytime soon. One way to look at it is this: Those who only pirate games would probably not buy the games in the first place. This might sound simplified but it holds true for a bigger slice of the population than one might think. Since one cannot induce a general rule based on a few examples what I'm going to say has to be taken with a grain of salt, but my general observations are that those who pirate games and find themselves enjoying them also have a tendency to buy them later. Those games they don't enjoy, they don't buy. Hence games will be bought buy a person if the games in question adhere to their preferences. The same argument has been made for music and it does generally hold up. Some studie or other (I can't remember the name or authot) actually confirmed that those who download the most music also buys the most. In short it's only a variation of the "try before you buy" mentality.

So, given that those who pirate games won't buy them if they don't enjoy them in the first place and those that do probably will the actual method of distribution won't really matter. Sure, it will be more "safe" from a business perspective to stay clear of digital distribution - since the ammount of work and money spent to pirate physical media will deter some. On the other hand, history shows that those who are going to pirate games will, sooner or later. Another thing to consider is that information technology is widely spread and integrated into both society and peoples way of orientating in the world that it might actually be a good idea to implement digital distribution. Case in point: The rise of iTunes and other digital distribution services. From a business perspective it might be better to grant people the right to download a game for a lower cost than physical media since most are actually willing to pay for the games. This is what the music industry is slowly realising - the new consumer don't care all that much about physical media. It doesn't have to be an either or question: It's certainly possible to use both digital and physical distribution.

12. wild03

Newcomer wild03 Member

United States
    Does anyone besides me think that maybe nintendo wanted their DS console to be hacked?
    I mean I can't believe it was this easy to both hack and rip roms. Think about it, The easier
    it is the more systems they will sell, I can tell you for sure than if it weren't for the hacks i would have never
    even dreamed of getting a DS, I know of another person who just bought one because of that.

Maybe they make more than enough money on the console. the lite is just a re skinned DS so no R&D cost there.

Kind of like the game Microsoft plays. Let them steal my OS for a while. the more IBM compatible PCs there will be out there, the more software will be created, a vicious cycle. and Apple looses ground due to their gestapo ways.

BTW: For those looking for DS lite Target still has the $127 price OTD. I realize that the unit costs $130 at local stores but you pay sales Tax (~$9 in FL) on that. Target saves you over $10. And Got mine last night 5 days before their estimated ETA? I love when businesses exceed expectations. (see Dealnews for more detail)