Latest Dolphin emulator update adds Netplay Server Browser to make playing online easier

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 10, 2019.

Front-page
    gdfdfg.

When it comes to emulating the Nintendo GameCube or Wii, the Dolphin emulator reigns supreme. With features like upscaling, netplay, and so much more, it's a shining example of the sorts of peaks that emulation can reach. Netplay is especially one of those magical features, allowing online players from around the world to sync up and play local games as if they were together in the same room. Through the many years of development, Dolphin's netplay function has improved, though it has always required an extra bit of effort on the user's part to make sure everything worked right. For all those users that have struggled with tinkering around through multiple settings menus, the Dolphin team has introduced a brand new feature in their latest update, which makes it leagues easier to start up and join online netplay matches.

Thanks to the new Netplay Server Browser, players can create private or public lobbies for specific games, removing the need to find your IP and copy and paste it to everyone involved. You can also sort by region, which helps for those that care about their ping, or by the specific title, and can see at a glance how many players are in a room before joining. If you're interested, all you need to do is update your Dolphin to any version that is 5.0-9908 or later, and select "browse netplay sessions" from the tools menu.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (13 replies)
  1. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Although I almost never use it since I have my Wii U for Wii games, I gotta say Dolphin has matured into one of the most amazing emulators ever.

2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Hey, you still don't have a dolphin emulator? What, are you waiting for nintendo to make one?

sup3rgh0st and Subtle Demise like this.
  3. Budsixz

Budsixz GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2018
    India
    does this work with the android version as well?
    oh btw nintendo is having a sale on their first party titles
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/huge-nintendo-switch-eshop-sale-coming-on-thursday/1100-6466137/

4. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    Dragon Quest X, here I come!!

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Corp's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    Cant wait to play action girlz racing online!

TheDarkGreninja likes this.
  6. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Nice but I never care about online. Good for people who wants to play online. That is not for me, actually.

7. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot Your average GBAtemp fanboy

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Move over Parsec, you guys are out of buisness!
    Also, Sexy Poker... This is not what Dolphin was built for.

8. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    finally i can bust heads at TVC that is if i had some peeps to play vs with.

9. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    Dolphin just keeps on amazing with each release :)

10. PawsofHorror

PawsofHorror Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2019
    Greece
    what about us poor android things :/

11. KyleHyde

KyleHyde GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2018
    Puerto Rico
    Wasn't the Wii version of Dragon Quest X discontinued two years ago?

12. mat128

mat128 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2011
    Canada
    I gave it a shot and it was incredible. Played some Mario Party 7, Double Dash, Sonic Adventure 2, Mario Kart 64 and Mario Golf 64 no problem at all as long as the host was in NA. There's a feature of spreading out the lag to everyone which some hosts forget to turn off and then some guy from Brazil joins with a ping of 400 turning the game into a slideshow. Hopefully more and more people join so everyone has people to play with.

13. TheMrIron2

TheMrIron2 Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 5, 2017
    Ireland
    To be fair, Parsec has a ton of other uses like, most relevantly, PCSX2. Definitely still has its uses for split screen games.

No doubt this is incredibly handy though, I had to resort to Parsec to play Splinter Cell: Double Agent co-op with a friend (the GC version with Dolphin netplay was a mess, but Parsec with pcsx2 is what we settled on.)