` regret .

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lastRegret's list of helpful firefox add-ons + extensions. No paticular order, some are just for shits 'n' giggles, not all will be "OMGZORS SPED MY COMPTERZ 2000x", some will be completely useless but fun none the less.

EDITS :
Last two Developer quotes are in spoilers 'cause "I'm not allowed to have so much quotes", I might put them all in spoilers so it looks better.
December 14th - 4:53PM EST - Added "GreaseMonkey"

Future Possible Edits :

I will start taking requests, when I'm done added the remainder of my list.
I will make this thread look a bit cleaner.
I may start colour-coding the list with most helpful+highest rating on Firefox website.
Fastest Fox

Developer said:
Save time by speeding up repetitive tasks. Get faster, parallelized downloads, auto-loading of next page, improved searching, and more. FastestFox will dramatically enhance your productivity!

Works with :Firefox: 3.0 – 3.6.*
Updated : December 3, 2009
Developer : yongqli
Homepage : http://smarterfox.com
Rating : Rated 5 out of 5 stars 126 reviews
Downloads : 4,197,895

Download Link : Click Here

Ad Block Plus

Developer said:
Ever been annoyed by all those ads and banners on the internet that often take longer to download than everything else on the page? Install Adblock Plus now and get rid of them.

Works with: Firefox: 3.0.11 – 3.7a1pre
Updated: December 12, 2009
Developer: Wladimir Palant
Homepage: http://adblockplus.org/
Rating: Rated 5 out of 5 stars 1518 reviews
Downloads: 64,539,866 Statistics

Download link : Click here
Source Code : Click here
Forum Click here

Chatzilla

Developers said:
A clean, easy to use and highly extensible Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client.

Works with: Firefox: 1.0 – 3.7a1pre
Updated: December 13, 2009
Developers: Gijs Kruitbosch, Robert Ginda, Samuel Sieb, James Ross
Homepage: http://chatzilla.hacksrus.com/
Rating: Rated 5 out of 5 stars 64 reviews
Downloads: 4,829,154 Statistics

Download link : Click Here

FasterFox

DeveloperPerformance and network tweaks for Firefox. Updated to work with firefox 3.5.*
(if you have previous versions of fasterfox/Ff lite it will transfer numbers/Settings Automatic)
avaliable in multiple languages!
Works With more then 20+ Languages!

Works with: Firefox: 1.5 – 3.7a1pre
Updated: November 23, 2009
Developer: ccman972
Rating: Rated 4 out of 5 stars 14 reviews
Downloads: 227,508 Statistics

Firebug

Developers
Firebug integrates with Firefox to put a wealth of development tools at your fingertips while you browse. You can edit, debug, and monitor CSS, HTML, and JavaScript live in any web page...

Firebug 1.4 requires Firefox 3.0 or higher.

So basically I can change this how this page looks completely, I can change lastRegret to RFAJKFNMADS, and the thread text to SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMBANME
tongue.gif
. Anyways, it won't actually change it, it'll be gone when you refresh.

Works with: Firefox: 3.0 – 3.6.*
Updated: November 5, 2009
Developers: Joe Hewitt, Rob Campbell, FirebugWorkingGroup
Homepage: http://getfirebug.com/
Rating: Rated 5 out of 5 stars 751 reviews
Downloads: 20,314,558 Statistics

Flagfox

Displays a country flag depicting the location of the current website's server and provides quick access to detailed location and webserver information.

It shows you a country flag, and if you hover your mouse over the country flag it'll show you the hosting IP address. So I can tell, on my 3rd day with no prior knowledge that GBATEMP.NET is hosted in France and the ip address is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
tongue.gif
. Not typing it out, download the add-on.

Works with: Firefox: 2.0 – 3.6.*
Updated: December 8, 2009
Developer: Dave.G
Homepage: http://flagfox.net/
Rating: Rated 5 out of 5 stars 259 reviews
Downloads: 8,481,916 Statistics

WOT - Web of Trust - Safe Browsing Tool - Long ass name.

Web of Trust warns you about risky sites that cheat customers, deliver malware or send spam. Millions of members of the WOT community rate sites based on their experience, giving you an extra layer of protection when browsing or searching the Web.

Works with: Firefox: 1.5 – 3.7a1pre
Updated: October 28, 2009
Developer: WOT Services
Homepage: http://www.mywot.com/
Rating: Rated 5 out of 5 stars 447 reviews
Downloads: 7,683,763

GreaseMonkey
- Thanks to Fast6191 for the second spoiler down

Allows you to customize the way a webpage displays using small bits of JavaScript. ...

What Fast6191 said abotu GreaseMonkey
you mentioned firebug; this uses a javascript like language so you can either download or write extensions yourself http://userscripts.org/ I mainly only use it for youtube (no comments, automatically selects high quality versions, pumps picture size up to full screen, removes other junk, provides download links.....), imdb (let us just say the average temp user can find several scripts to their liking) and a few small custom scripts for sites I go to to change things how I like them.

Works with: Firefox: 1.5 – 3.6.*
Updated: December 8, 2009
Developers: Anthony Lieuallen, Aaron Boodman, Johan Sundström
Homepage: http://www.greasespot.net/
Rating: Rated 5 out of 5 stars 432 reviews
Downloads: 26,524,467

Lazarus- Thanks to velocity37

velocity37 said :
If you're typing something in a textbox and disaster strikes, a timeout or something, and you hit back only to find an empty box? Lazarus has the text ready to restore wink.gif
Developer : Never lose anything you type into a web form again! Lazarus securely auto-saves all forms as you type, so after a crash, server timeout, or whatever, you can go back to the form, right click, "recover form", and breathe a sigh of relief.

Works with: Firefox: 3.0 – 3.6.*
Updated: July 21, 2009
Developer: The Interclue Team
Homepage: http://getlazarus.com
Rating: Rated 5 out of 5 stars 94 reviews
Downloads: 583,899

More will be added.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fasterfox and those parallel downloader apps tend to hammer smaller hosts so I tend to avoid them.

Mine

Adblock plus, needs no explanation.
Noscript (allows you to block javascript by subdomain)- can be annoying but it is the one two combo for blocking ads along with adblock plus.
TACO: targeted advertising cookie opt out- does as it says on the tin and automatically sticks opt out cookies for the biggest tracking cookie companies.

Every firefox install I do has those.
I will also mention the flash cookies thing as it passed me by for longer than I would have liked, http://www.macromedia.com/support/document..._manager07.html suffice it to say they are even nastier than normal cookies (you can delete cookies in browser, not so much for these little bastards).

Firebug: allows you to tweak websites on the fly, nice to tune up a site quickly when the author has something interesting to say but no web design skills to share it.

Greasemonkey: you mentioned firebug; this uses a javascript like language so you can either download or write extensions yourself http://userscripts.org/ I mainly only use it for youtube (no comments, automatically selects high quality versions, pumps picture size up to full screen, removes other junk, provides download links.....), imdb (let us just say the average temp user can find several scripts to their liking) and a few small custom scripts for sites I go to to change things how I like them.

Skipscreen: I only found out about it the other month when a site kicked off about it. Either skips or automates the file hosting sites (rapidshare, megaupload, load.to.... you know the sort)

Tab kit: takes a while to get used to but it it tweaks the use of tabs so you can group by domain, put them wherever you like and just take a bit more control over tabs. Nice considering I have just read most of mine and I am still at 150.

Download helper: a nice little tool to grab videos if a greasemonkey script has not got my back.

` regret .

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the comments everybody
tongue.gif
. I'll continue to update this thread continue posting your own favourite add-ons like FAST6191 and I will add them to the list when I get the chance. Hopefully we can get more people into this thread. Also, if you add a little evaluation on the add-on I may post it up there too
tongue.gif

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice ones. I already have ones mentioned here but there are others that are very helpful!

Don't forget IETab if you really despise IE (I highly doubt a lot hate IE8 right now) and WebMail Notifier (notifies you of e-mails every XX minutes - your preference)

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
deanxxczx said:
whenever i hear the word McAfee i think fail..
Well, the add-on isn't fail. It saves me from visiting many virus infected sites.

QUOTE(R2DJ @ Dec 15 2009, 03:16 PM) Don't forget IETab if you really despise IE (I highly doubt a lot hate IE8 right now) and WebMail Notifier (notifies you of e-mails every XX minutes - your preference)
I've everything IE, so damning slow!

velocity37

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An extremely helpful add-on is Lazarus.

If you're typing something in a textbox and disaster strikes, a timeout or something, and you hit back only to find an empty box? Lazarus has the text ready to restore
wink.gif

` regret .

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
velocity37 said:
An extremely helpful add-on is Lazarus.

If you're typing something in a textbox and disaster strikes, a timeout or something, and you hit back only to find an empty box? Lazarus has the text ready to restore
wink.gif

Updated original post, thanks.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Flashgot
Download manager for firefox. It can either use the built in download manager, or use an external one like getright/flashget. It can also intercept audio/media (flash) files on a page, such as on youtube and send them to the download manager to download. One of the most useful features I use. There's too many to name, so check the features page on the flashgot homepage.
smile.gif

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My add-ons:

ForecastFox - A weather forecast in the browser. There's a couple other similar add-ons, but I like this one for the weather channel-esque icons, rather than other cartoony ones.

WebMail Notifier - Got this so I could know when I got mail at any time, rather than checking my mail every now and then. Simple, probably better ones out there too, but I like this one.

WOT - Already mentioned. Fun to see other comments and warnings. Easy to add in your own. Just remember that all ratings are not purely reflective of the site itself, especially if people have issues with the material on the site: for example, the BBC, FOX News, Prime Minister sites, religious sites, even food sites, all have ratings that are spurred on by individual appreciation rather than the actual safety of the site. Nifty though, to see the culture of a select portion of the internet rating sites.

DownThemAll! - A 'mass downloader,' which is nice, 'cause I can just tell files to be downloaded in ques. It would be nice if there was a shortcut key function, such as Alt+Right-Click--maybe there is and I'm too lazy to find out
tongue.gif

Download Status Bar - Places all downloads in a status bar for easy access, as well as stopping an ugly default download window from opening.

AdBlock Plus - I don't really notice ads, so either this works or doesn't. Which I think is good
ohmy.gif

ColorfulTabs - I didn't think I would like this as much as I do now. It gives the tabs of Firefox color, relative to either preset conditions, the site you're visiting (calculating a color based on site details), or manually set details. Default settings are horribly pastel and dull, to me at least, but after a little fidgeting you could get some nice palettes going on. I know I'd rather not leave it now!

All of these, save ForecastFox, work on the newest version of Firefox according to the updater. ForecastFox works for some too, but not me.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What I'm using :
(add to your main post whatever you think is good enough)

Normal
Recommended
For developers
bonus, for geek

Adblock plus : I just recently installed it, I don't know why, thought I was ok with current situation. Now I'm ok without spam
tongue.gif

Add N edit Cookies :
A better cookies viewer/editor than the Firefox's default.
(outdated on mozilla, but you can edit the version manually before installing, or ask me, I can provide an already patched file)

Auto copy :
Copy to clipboard on selecting text (like IRC)

A missing feature "click on a link and copy the link's text" would be great too.

Automatic Save Folder : Yeahh ! it's my own add-on I'm developing it
gbasp.gif

Description on my 'Temp blog, and My Mozilla's page (edit : download the beta from main site to have up to date version)
It's a download helper which open the file explorer or autosave directly to the user specified folder according to filename and website.
For example make all gbatemp releated files to open automatically drive:/buried/and/very/long/path/to/nintendo/stuff
while downloading a pictures from facebook it will open the file explorer already pointing at the right folder drive:/my facebook/pictures/

You don't need anymore to find your folders manually !

Colorzilla :
Great for website development to pick a color from a webpage, and autocopy to many format (RRGGBB, #RRGGBB; BGR, etc.)

Cooliris :
View website pictures in a 3D wall (google image search, facebook, many other website working too)

Dom inspector :
Give back the DOM feature to firefox 3 (included in Firefox 2). It's a document structure explorer, for website and add-on development and debugging tools.

Downthem all :
A Download manager, multi grabber with resume function, and splitting files in multi-downloads parts.

Firebug :
Tools for developers to changed the webpage content on the fly, and see every data (html, css, script, dom, etc.), all of them are editable.

Quick Locale Switcher :
Allow the user to change the Firefox language preference on simple click in the status bar.
usefull for :
- developers to test/translate addon's locale without reinstalling the addon or reboot Firefox
- common user to set and remember the dictionnary language for each website you visit (prevent switching manually your own language/english every time).

Session Manager :
A session manager, to save and restore opened windows and tabs, from crash or from user defined saves.

Get email jetable or Tempomail :
Auto generate a temporary email address for a given time to redirect to your real email by right-clicking on an input field.

Rikaichan :
Auto translated japanese text using the mouse over japanese text to show translated popup.

Web Developer/Web Developer :
a lot of tools to tweak the webpage, useful either for developer or for basic users.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for reminding me about Add N edit Cookies, I used it way back when for the cookie management features but it lost to me in the version shuffles and updates.

I will also have to try this Lazarus thing although I have got pretty good about copying and pasting to a text file these last few years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse