Gaming Last minute...which antivirus to run???

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a 60 day trial Norton Internet Security with my laptop. It is about to run out. My ISP offers Norton Security Suite for free with connection. I also can run obviously AVG for free. And I have Spybot running.

I need to know which setup to run. Please no responses, unless you are sure your antivirus setup is working well. I know there have been posts like this in the past, but virus problems are ever changing so I would like an up to date answer.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would normally recommend AVG but recently they keep forcing fucking annoying popups on my screen encouraging me to buy the pro version so I wouldn't honestly recommend it anymore. It's supposed to be freeware not adware,

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First off, avoid Norton. It's total crap, slows your system considerably and it has a poor detection rate.

I suggest either Avast, or Microsoft Security Essentials, both are good, and free.
I also suggest running Malware bytes as a separate manual scanner.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Dude I have Kasperksy internet security2010 and I am so heck happy with it. In my hard core internet browsing, I never had a virus or any kind of malware. It doesnt have popups that annoy you.
User interface is also easy to understand. YOu also have a cool graph on things your comp detects.
It has anti spam, anti banners etc. Must buy if you want ultimate protection.
It's definitely worth to buy it full.
There's also somekind of "improved" KIS called Kaspersky Pure.

I have a normal laptop so moderate specs will work great with there and there wont be any slowdowns.

EDIT
I have another suggestion, it's ESET nod32.
It's light on resources and the scanning is pretty quick. Detection rate? AWESOME!
Used it for 3 months but my dad bought kasperksy IS and that's what I ended up using
tongue.gif
and it was great dude!
biggrin.gif

Ok if you noticed I mostly buy AV products but i hope if you want free you can choose avira. good for a free AV but for ME paid ones are best
wink.gif

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
I use Avast! Internet Security and have had no issues with it at all. It runs quietly in the background with no slow-downs, unlike Norton. You can turn off the voices and pop-ups in its options if you like.

luckwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will read up on Avira.

One thing about Norton that I don't like is it disables your Windows 7 firewall. Does Avira do the same?

Does Avira have a free version? Does it work well on its own?

Do you Avira users also use a Spybot type software for spyware also? The Spybot "tea timer" seems as though it bogs the CPU down some.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Avira is the best out there, imho. Still have to try MSE, though.

Just avoid avast!, it doesn't detect anything (really really crappy detection rate), and before you'll even notice, there'll be a crapload of viruses and trojans throwing a party in your system folders
smileipb2.png

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Prowler485 said:
I've been using avast with gaming mode put on permanently.
Best AV I've used.QUOTE(RupeeClock @ Jun 22 2010, 11:31 AM) First off, avoid Norton. It's total crap, slows your system considerably and it has a poor detection rate.....
.....I also suggest running Malware bytes as a separate manual scanner.

+ 1 to both of these

I've been using Avast 'free' for quite a while (just updated to the latest actually) and it's caught more viruses/pup/malware (even in ZIP files I got from P2P downloads) than any other software I've tried (& I've tried quite a few)

I had Norton system works many years ago & had nothing but slow downs & crashes - even had trouble when doing Norton updates - I do an update for one part of 'System works' then another update - & the first conflicted with the second causing no end of problems

I will also suggest getting Malwarebytes scanner & using that on manual scan occasionally - as this has caught one sneaky malware entry that somehow got pass Avast (I think I actually picked it up from work when it infected my USB) - luckily none of the rest of the malware got onto the PC

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
luckwii said:
I see the Avira Personal (free version). Is this sufficient?

That's what I use.

I don't know about the Windows 7 firewall as I use Vista, but my firewall is still active.

I'm not sure about SpyBots, but you may want to get a software specifically for that if it makes you feel comfortable.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Urza said:
Really don't need this thread duplicated every few days.

http://gbatemp.net/t231441-virus-protectio...t&p=2893320
We should really create a "What's the best antivirus out there" sticky in this section.

Too bad that it'd probably get flooded by people screaming things like "JUST USE ANTIVIRUS-X! IS TEH BESTERZ0RZ!111one" without some actual facts backing up their claims, and that would quickly lead to misconception and bad advices.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Urza said:

We should really create a "What's the best antivirus out there" sticky in this section.

Too bad that it'd probably get flooded by people screaming things like "JUST USE ANTIVIRUS-X! IS TEH BESTERZ0RZ!111one" without some actual facts backing up their claims, and that would quickly lead to misconception and bad advices.
There's no point to a thread.

There are professionals who do thorough testing and documentation of all the major AV providers. Asking random people on a forum is not better research.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Urza said:

I second this idea.

To prevent the flooded-ness and bad advice, the first post could be edited every so often with a small description of each AV (in spoiler tags to conserve space) and a link to its homepage.

I think that this could work.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Urza said:
raulpica said:
Urza said:

There's no point to a thread.

There are professionals who do thorough testing and documentation of all the major AV providers. Asking random people on a forum is not better research.
I usually linked to that site (as I use it for reference myself), but people seem to thoroughly ignore it.

That's a shame, as using that would easily solve all those threads.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
I usually linked to that site (as I use it for reference myself), but people seem to thoroughly ignore it.

Imo just lock the thread with that link.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Urza said:
raulpica said:

Imo just lock the thread with that link.
Not a mod here, sadly
frown.gif
I'll let some other mods do this
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte