Homebrew Large NeoGeo games support and CPS3 tests

Gamecuber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
How can it run on GameCube? I'm not very good at maths but with gfx and sound roms we're already at 60MB plus about 8MB for the core etc...
However, I thought it could run on Wii as a seperate core but it was crashing(?). It could be useful to have vm anyway if we wanted to have a full fba with all the drivers. In theory, it should be possible to reallocate memory differently, there would be even more loading time though. Now, it's about 1 minute for cache creation and about 20 seconds the second time.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/580134-strikers-1945-iii/data
As you can see it here, Strikers 1945 III is Strikers 1999. If you can run dol files on Gamecube, you can try my build of FBA for Gamecube. Only 1945kiii.zip is supported.
I compiled it 2 or 3 years ago.

Attachments

• FBA_1945kiii_for_Gamecube.7z
    304.3 KB · Views: 341
Reactions: niuus

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The psikyo core I posted have all drivers(d_psikyo4 has no vm) and compiled with Retroarch 1.3.6 so yes it's bigger. In fact it was lacking only about 2mb maybe. I'm still very suprised that it runs on GC.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I haven't received a response to my question on gc-forever yet. I'd like to merge it but I also don't want to risk upsetting somebody.

What did he specifically state @Wiimpathy when you asked him? You happen to have those quotes still?

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, I guess it's not top secret :

by wiimpathy
Hello,

I'm playing with your wii vm code as I'd like to implement it for NeoGeo games. May I use your code and share some test builds here or at gbatemp?
It's not finished yet, it's working in Gxgeo for now, a bit slow with some bugs. No luck with FBA but I'll try for CPS3.

Anyway, thanks for this and all your contributions.

by tueidj
Sure, just keep in mind it's only usable for data (not dynamically generated code) and shouldn't be used for any objects that are passed directly to the GPU or other hardware since they make assumptions about how virtual addresses are mapped to physical.

Perhaps your pm hasn't been sent because it requires a minimum of forums posts.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, I guess it's not top secret :

by wiimpathy
Hello,

I'm playing with your wii vm code as I'd like to implement it for NeoGeo games. May I use your code and share some test builds here or at gbatemp?
It's not finished yet, it's working in Gxgeo for now, a bit slow with some bugs. No luck with FBA but I'll try for CPS3.

Anyway, thanks for this and all your contributions.

by tueidj
Sure, just keep in mind it's only usable for data (not dynamically generated code) and shouldn't be used for any objects that are passed directly to the GPU or other hardware since they make assumptions about how virtual addresses are mapped to physical.

Perhaps your pm hasn't been sent because it requires a minimum of forums posts.

Ah OK.

Should I just commit this to our Github then given that permission was granted for this purpose and assume there isn't a major problem here, or should I contact him some other way still?

And yes, I might just not meet the minimum of forum posts. That is quite an unfair system TBH, and makes it impossible to reach certain people on their forum as an outsider.

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Personally, I'd prefer an answer from tueidj. I'm not sure merging in your repository is the same as posting builds here. Maybe, I'm too careful, last time I used extrem's code I forgot the license file and he scolds me.:lol:

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Personally, I'd prefer an answer from tueidj. I'm not sure merging in your repository is the same as posting builds here. Maybe, I'm too careful, last time I used extrem's code I forgot the license file and he scolds me.:lol:

Yes, could you maybe do me a favor?

Try contacting him on gc-forever and ask him on my behalf, and show him the thread. If it's indeed true that my PMs are not getting through to him, that could be one possible way perhaps to still be able to ask the question.

Linkuei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
OMG!!!
This is by far one of the greatest news of the Wii Scene in years!
Thank you so much Wiimpathy!
Tested Garou, KOF2002, SVC and they worked PERFECT in 240p glory!

OFF: With your talent, can you help us to finally fix the retroarch mame2000 core, that emulate 95% of the mame2000 romset perfectly in full speed, but has some garbage graphics in some boards (SEGA, KONAMI, TAITO, DATA EAST...)?

KEEP IT UP!!!

Last edited by Linkuei,
Reactions: cvskid

Druegee

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Good morning, I have followed the instruction and have found the the retroarch version 1.7.0 does not recognize the Cps3 core, is that correct?
Also for the Large NeoGeo games, do I load the one of the converted cache files or the zipped ROM or neither?

Thanks for your response

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi, I've just literally found this post.
So, I've been testing this JUST NOW.
And I want to report my findings.

1.- I've downloaded everything in the OP except for the Rom Converter. I downloaded the one that's on the comments.
2.- I've followed everything on the mini how to, and I couldn't make it work.
3.- I've followed everything on the mini how to, BUT WITH THE LATEST VERSION OF RETROARCH (not the one given in OP) and IT WORKS PERFECTLY

So far I've only tested:
- KOF 2003 which is running on my TV as I'm writting this.
- SNK vs CAPCOM and it works good.

Sidenote: I couldn't fine a working Street Fighter III rom, so I haven't tested the FinalBurn Alpha CPS3 core.

Long story short: The newest RetroArch version works completely fine with this.
Just copy
CACHE to Retroarch/System
and your roms in your prefered folder.

WITHOUT ANY SOUND ISSUES

Last edited by Gizametalman,

SidneiSantos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I've implemented in Final Burn Alpha and Gxgeo the Virtual Memory manager (by tueidj) and a cache sytem to play all the latest NeoGeo games. Here's a little howto, but I advise you to consult the README you'll find in the archives.

Neogeo
-----------

- First, you need to convert your games on your computer with the Rom converter.
- Download this FBA archive and extract it to your SD card.
- Launch the fbalpha2012_neogeo core, wait... and play.

I've started with Gxgeo but it's quite buggy and it requires decrypted roms. In case you're interested : Gxgeo-vm
For both emulators, you must use Unibios else loading times will be a lot longer.
Retroarch 1.3.6 was used to compile the cores.

CPS3
--------

It's more a proof of concept made out of curiosity. It's around 40fps with vsync disabled and the sound is bad. SF3 3rd strike seems the more playable.

- Launch the fbalpha2012_cps3 core.
The first time you'll launch a game, it will create cache files. This process takes a long time, around 4, 5 minutes. The second time you start the game, it will take less than 1 minute.

Source codes
------------------

fba-vm & retroarch source

romcnv

gxgeo

very thx Works Games :)

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Good morning, I have followed the instruction and have found the the retroarch version 1.7.0 does not recognize the Cps3 core, is that correct?
Also for the Large NeoGeo games, do I load the one of the converted cache files or the zipped ROM or neither?

Thanks for your response
Oh my... 1.7?

I've tested the cores with 1.5.3 and they're both recognized by this version.
Try it if you can.

Remember where the cores goes to.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey wiimpathy, no matter what i try, i cant get svc plus and super plus to make proper cache files. ive tested all the larger neogeo roms, these are the only ones ive had issues with. also do you plan on adding frameskip to cps3? i think that would be pretty awesome. either 1 frame skip or auto. anyway, thanks again, and lemme know if u have an idea as to whats wrong with svcplus and svcsplus, thanks

edit: after deleting the roms and cache files, and dling the exact same roms and trying again, it seems to have created what looks to be proper cache files, though its late and now and ill have to test them out tomorrow.

Last edited by seam,

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
SVC PLUS is working if you have the latest Rom converter and neogeo core. All games should work except pcb versions that are about 100MB. If it fails, it's could be a rom not supported by the converter/fba.

I don't think I'll add frameskip to CPS3. It's in some Mame builds but no idea for fba libretro. A global frameskip for retroarch would be better. If someone knows how to do it, feel free to help.

Yes, I have tested SVC, Striker 1945 Plus, the Last Blade and the Last Blade 2.
SVC runs great, but Striker 1945 Plus lags a lot.
the Last Blade and the Last Blade 2 do not work at all, loading them would crash the emulator and exit to HBC.

The lag in Striker 1945 Plus happens on a real NeoGeo too. You have to change the CPU Speed Overclock to 200 in the core option if you want smoother gameplay.

gt6plus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just found this beauty of a topic. I have only tried Garou MOTW on retroarch 1.3.6 but I can't get it to load. It passes al the VM checks then I just have a blanck screen, no unibios screen.
I am I right in understanding that the neogeo.zip bios file should be in the same directory as the MOTW.zip file?

thanks for the great work wiimpathy!

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just found this beauty of a topic. I have only tried Garou MOTW on retroarch 1.3.6 but I can't get it to load. It passes al the VM checks then I just have a blanck screen, no unibios screen.
I am I right in understanding that the neogeo.zip bios file should be in the same directory as the MOTW.zip file?

thanks for the great work wiimpathy!

I have neogeo.zip in the same folder as my Neogeo Roms.
But this past Sunday, I noticed that I have neogeo.zip in System folder too.

Try using Retroarch 1.6.9 and just copy CACHE into SYSTEM and use the cores given in the Original Post.

It should work as good as my setup.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey wiimpathy, so i got svc plus and super plus working fine. so everything works great. sucks to hear about cps3 but oh well, maybe someone will take a look at adding frameskip one day. Thanks again.

Last edited by seam,

SieKensou

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This is simply awesome @Wiimpathy. It's great to see that you finally implemented this. It would be great to have it in the last official RetroArch version (although it would be greater to have a separate emulator for NeoGeo games).
I'm not sure who would be better to ask my next questions @LibretroRetroArc or @Wiimpathy but here they are:
The problem I have here is that this core only let you load the games that are stored in its database of that FBA version with the right CRC32... you can't load any other game even if it would run perfectly in the emulator. I'm editing some games, so the CRC32 doesn't match with the ones of that FinalBurn, so RetroArch doesn't load the game... is there any posibility of having this games working? Maybe adding a folder or file with the aditional rom drivers?
And other thing I see a bit anoying is that RetroArch only shows the zip names when you are going to load the game... is possible to add a text file with the zip file name and the full name of the game and make to RetroArch show the Full name of the games?
Thanks and congratulations for all the great job!

Last edited by SieKensou,

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, I guess it won't be in the official Retroarch since we don't know if Tueidj is ok or not.

I don't know a good and simple way to skip the crc check but I agree that it could be useful.

Regarding the names, WiiFlow can display full names thanks to a custom_titles file. I don't think it's easy and worthy modifying Retroarch browser for that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"