Large NeoGeo games support and CPS3 tests

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Wiimpathy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. LumInvader

LumInvader GBAtemp Fan

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    Even just one proper bugfix build would be enough for me. Being able to configure individual games with their own settings within Retroarch + being able to load more than 1 game without retroarch crashing would be icing on the cake.

2. DavidTheGamer

DavidTheGamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2019
    United States

I was using retroarch 1.0.0.1 from mastershoes pack for the longest time, and to be honest I had issues I think around 1.3.3 and was very reluctant to update, however i'm using 1.7.7 and boy has retroarch come a long way. For arcades it seems to be necessary to split mame/fb/neogeo etc into cores because of memory limitations and some older versions of retroarch may work for some games better and worse for others also some versions of retroarch crash or have issues with other versions since they share the same retroarch.cfg. It seems efforts have been made to have different cores use different cfg paths which has come a long way. From an end user perspective it's been a bit tricky tracking down and testing cores and seeing which ones work which ones don't, wiiflow compatibility ads an extra layer to this as well. I think one huge benefit for retroarch on wii would be for user specified paths for cfg's (my understanding is that it can be specified when it's being compile but after that it's locked in). It would bring things a step closer to having that ultimate wiiflow emulator console with on par arcade compatibility to the original xbox, albiet there might be 20 mame cores on there with different configs, I could live with that. A thread where all the known retroarch arcade cores were listed with some info so it wold be easier to track down would be good for those just starting out, like myself.

3. fledge68

fledge68 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    I agree with a lot you said. currently I have been setting up my retroarch mame 2003 plus cores provided by wiimpathy. His cores are A thru G and v0.4. and i have retroarch 1.7.7 nightly build. for the most part wiimpathy's cores work great as wiiflow plugins but there are a couple i had issues with.

core E - the konami core. Large games 1MB or greater wouldn't work (cowboys of moo mesa, TMNT, TMNT 2, bucky o'hare). Wiimpathy included the v0.3 cores as alternatives so i tried core E v0.3 and those large konami games worked but oddly enuff the games smaller than 1MB didn't. so I created a new core H and put v0.3 and the large games there.

core C - the williams core. v0.4 wouldn't work for joust and defender so I tried v0.3 and now core c works fine for all those games.

I downloaded his capcom core and made it core K. works great for bionic commando, black tiger, ghosts and goblins to name a few.

for some reason I'm having trouble with asteroids and asteroids deluxe. don't know if that's because they are vector games or i have to try a different core. I might use mame 2000 for those games.

As for retroarch cfg versions:
    I'm using retroarch 1.7.7. wiimpathy's cores are 1.7.6 and the capcom core is 1.7.5.
    Wiimpathy explains here - https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-lite.422685/page-87#post-8748088 how to hexedit each core to change the name of retroarch.cfg so that each core will use its own retroarch.cfg. I'm going to do this next even though i haven't had any major issues with them all using retroarch.cfg 1.7.7.

4. MrSW

MrSW Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2018
    Brunei
    the weird thing is that core E works fine for those games if you launch them from retroarch itself, but not as a WiiFlow pluhin

fledge68 likes this.
  5. fledge68

fledge68 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    I think its a memory issue. v0.3 core E is smaller in size than v0.4. v0.3 leaves more free ram. wiiflow 5 does load the core dol a little higher in memory than retroarch does. i may have to try lowering it in wf5 some day.

6. DavidTheGamer

DavidTheGamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2019
    United States

I didn't know there was a thread explaining how to hexedit different configuration paths, i'm going to have to try that out.

7. LibretroRetroArc

LibretroRetroArc GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 24, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nobody in the main team right now develops primarily on Wii. So, again, we need coders in here who can help us. I don't know how to make this any more clear than I already tried to do in the prior post.

DjoeN likes this.
  8. LumInvader

LumInvader GBAtemp Fan

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    Oh, you thought I was begging you to do it? lol, no. I didn't specify who should do it or that anyone should do it. I was just pointing out that a one-off bugfix build would be welcomed by me and I'm pretty sure most users here would agree.

niuus and TheManHimself like this.
  9. SieKensou

SieKensou Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2018
    Spain
    Yes, it would be very welcome a new bugfix build and optimiced for the Wii. It's a pity that nobody on the main team can do some tests for the Wii version :(

rogerioronin likes this.
  10. seam

seam GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 23, 2011
    United States
    austin texas
    anyone else have the issue with jojo.zip loading corrupt graphics half the time? sometimes it works fine sometimes it loads garbled graphics and has to be restarted. the others dont do this.

Last edited by seam, Aug 25, 2019