Homebrew Large NeoGeo games support and CPS3 tests

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've implemented in Final Burn Alpha and Gxgeo the Virtual Memory manager (by tueidj) and a cache sytem to play all the latest NeoGeo games. Here's a little howto, but I advise you to consult the README you'll find in the archives.

Neogeo
-----------

- First, you need to convert your games on your computer with the Rom converter.
- Download this FBA archive and extract it to your SD card.
- The Bios (neogeo.zip) must be in your games folder.
- Launch the fbalpha2012_neogeo core, select the game (zip file), wait... and play.

I've started with Gxgeo but it's quite buggy and it requires decrypted roms. In case you're interested : Gxgeo-vm
For both emulators, you must use Unibios else loading times will be a lot longer.
Retroarch 1.3.6 was used to compile the cores.

LATEST VERSION

FBA NeoGeo VM 0.6

Previous versions

FBA NeoGeo VM 0.5

FBA NeoGeo VM 0.4
Alt with external translation : FBA NeoGeo VM 0.4 ExtLang

CPS3
--------

FBA CPS3 0.3

It's more a proof of concept made out of curiosity. It's around 40fps with vsync disabled and the sound is bad. SF3 3rd strike seems the more playable.

- Launch the fbalpha2012_cps3 core.
The first time you'll launch a game, it will create cache files. This process takes a long time, around 4, 5 minutes. The second time you start the game, it will take less than 1 minute.
UPDATE
Now cache creation takes about 2 minutes. 30 seconds to load once cache files exist. Frameskip by default, it makes Street Fighter III 2d impact playable.

EXTRA
----------

NeoGeo games have two display resolutions. To display the games at the correct resolution automatically, here is a pre-configured pack : Arcade resolutions configs
In FBANEO, you'll find two folders, one for old CRT tv and one for modern LCD. Copy one of this folder's content in /retroarch/FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo.
You have to create the 'FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo' folder if doesn't exist.

Source codes
------------------

fbalpha2012_neogeo VM branch

fba-vm & retroarch source

romcnv

gxgeo

Last edited by Wiimpathy,

XICO2KX

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wow!!! :O Thanks @Wiimpathy! :D
This looks a lot promising! ^_^
By the way, if you consider putting the source code on github, it would make it easier for other programmers to help you out with this great project! :rolleyes:

But this means that large NeoGeo games will be playable soon on the Wii! :grog:
Anyone available to do some testing and post some screenshots? ;)

Gamecuber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Great news!!!
Did you also test other games?
Like... SNK vs Capcom: SVC Chaos?
Yes, I have tested SVC, Striker 1945 Plus, the Last Blade and the Last Blade 2.
SVC runs great, but Striker 1945 Plus lags a lot.
the Last Blade and the Last Blade 2 do not work at all, loading them would crash the emulator and exit to HBC.

Reactions: XICO2KX

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The Windows Rom converter wasn't generating the 'srom' file for Last Blade and all unencrypted games.
Please dowload Rom converter r2.

There was an issue with bootlegs (svcplus for ex.) too it should be fixed.

FBA-VM_R2

Source Patch

A pgm driver test might be possible but I'd like to fix what I can for Neogeo first.

kdash2k11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Amazing job!!! Please compile the core 1.3 for neo geo, the actual core sounds really bad like the last retroarch (1.4 and beyond).

Testing the FBA VM R2, Neo Geo core sounds fine again. Garou plays fine, a bit lag in caracther screem and some crash (black screen) while playing.

Some test so far: KOF 97 to 2003 very nice (some little lags on large ones), Metal Slug 3 crash, Metal Slug X and 5 very nice, Metal Slug 4 y ROTD really really bad sound, Garou very nice (only one time black screen during gameplay and some little lags during gameplay and selection screen), Last Blade 1 y 2 very nice (2 has little lags in selection screen and during gameplays), RBFF 2 very nice, Matrimmelle playable (lags on gameplay), Strikers 1945 very nice, Samurai V Special very nice (little lags during gameplay and selection screen), Shock Troopers 2 very nice.

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for testing kdash2k11.

FBA-VM_R3

- Fixed Metal Slug 4 and Rage of the Dragons sound : disable PCM2DecryptV.

Source patch

Metal Slug 3 doesn't crash here, maybe you have a bad rom or bad cache files.

I don't know if the little lags come from the VM only or other parameters. The quick black screen in Garou is strange too.
About the bad audio in the first revision of the neogeo core, I wonder if all the reports regarding this issue past Retroarch 1.3.6 is related to the latest Devkit/libogc used to compile.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I surely miss something but which CPS1/2 games are too large to fit in RAM?
That could work in MAME too even if the code is quite different and doing it per driver is a tedious task.
Yes I think there are quite a few CPS2 games that couldn't work due to memory. There was a compatibility list around here somewhere :P
Couldnt you use the FBA2012 Core itself (since it has Neo-Geo/CPS1/CPS2 all in one Core) rather than using their separate cores?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm assuming these converted games would also work on RetroArch for Wii U too, ya?
WiiU's Retorarch has no problems with Ram, so it's not an issue ;)

Found the Compat list.. https://mega.nz/#!sdA3yDhZ!9fLG_WpsJIlYQH0OS4S0Ut7Tq2BEkiPLeZwhklQYQV4 and your right, the only roms that has memory issues is the neo-geo ones.. I thought i remembered some CPS2 roms suffering with the same problems? Brain fart I guess :P

Gamecuber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Reactions: SaulFabre

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe you mistook it with Gamecube. All CPS games could even fit into RAM for Gamecube, and only 2 CPS2 games can fit into Gamecube's RAM.
May have been. If I can this to work right Im going to try to make an Arcade setup.. I have plenty of old Wiis hanging around the house ;)

Reactions: SaulFabre

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1