Hacking Large folders and loading times on 4GB and 8GB cards

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I have a very large NDS folder full of games and saves, about 2.66 GB last I checked. Now, the card loads them rather slowly, about 12-14 seconds to load the folder on my 8 GB cards (tried on Sandisk and A-data cards), but about 3-4 seconds on my A-data 4GB. Anyone else run into this kind of problem?

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Try using the Panasonic SD formatter .

or/and try this from the AKAIO wiki:
QUOTE said:
If your game folder has lots of games it may take a while to load. To speed things up you can separate the games into folders. What some people do is order them into alphabetical folders (A-D, E-I, J-K....) or you can organize them by type of game (Action, Adventure, Platformer, RPG, Shooter...)

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
use high allocation size, i think rpg takes 32kbit allocation as most, wont do 64, that sped up greatly on my sisters ttds, i dont know how rpg would handle it since ive always been using 32kbit, and i have 4gb full of roms and it doesnt take more than 3-4 seconds to load of micro

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Try reformatting the card with the Panasonic SD Formatter. For me, it made the memory card load up literally 5 times faster than when it was formatted with Windows.

Man, Destructobot, you are just too awesome for words. This solved my problem perfectly, the folder's loading in 3-4 seconds on my 8GB a-data card, thanks a bunch!
biggrin.gif

(BTW, in case you cared - the GBA Backup Tool 0.2 does a better job at backing up EEPROM saves, cart_save was screwing up some of the headers, I haven't necessarily had that problem with GBABT .2)

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used cf_ds.nds to measure reading times, and the access times are about twice as fast:

All times in microseconds (read: 544 microseconds to read 512 bytes of data, 4396 microseconds to read 4 Kibibytes of data):
Standard Windows Formatting:
sequential 512 B/4 KiB/16 KiB: 544/4396/17629
random 512/4/16: 1166/4532/17734

Panasonic SD Formatting:
sequential: 512 B/4 KiB/16 KiB: 267/2174/8763
random: 512 B/4 KiB/16 KiB: 529/2194/8808

That's pretty much identical results to my Kingston 1GB microSD with standard windows formatting. Gonna try reformatting that Kingston...no noticable change from previous tests. In fact...it's a bit slower than what the Adata is doing, but I'm not comparing apples to apples here.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
This thread should be stickied. The difference in speed between Panasonic formatter and Windows formatter is *massive*. SDHC is easily as fast as SD now.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Taza Posted Today, 02:24 PM
This thread should be stickied. The difference in speed between Panasonic formatter and Windows formatter is *massive*. SDHC is easily as fast as SD now

I recently added the formatting info the the AKAIO wiki, in the tips and tricks area.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt