Gaming Laptop Overheating Problem

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have asked this in IRC a few days ago but I thought I might ask it here.

Well, 2 weeks ago, I had to reinstall Vista. Problem is now, it overheats way to easily. It gets as high as 82C, I have no reason why. It gets alot of space to let the hot air out. My mom refuses to buy me a cooling pad and I don't have any money to do so. My only other option I have is to send it to Dell but I want to know if there is any other way I can fix my problem.

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My parents had a lap top that would constantly overheat and shut down. Try keeping the cd drive open. We found that it would let off a lot of heat if we kept it open. If you wanna play a game, well hopefully its on steam, or you can risk overheating.

Kyoton

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip about the disc tray! That is an interesting bit.

Joker, you may just need to lobby harder until you can get a cooling pad. They really are amazing and worth getting.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
delta123 said:
big areas to allow air in also allow a lot of dust to get in there as well. you might want to open up the back and vacume clean the heatsink of the dust build up.
I might just open the back, clean it out, and see what happens.

QUOTE(jgu1994 @ Feb 22 2009, 08:14 PM) My parents had a lap top that would constantly overheat and shut down. Try keeping the cd drive open. We found that it would let off a lot of heat if we kept it open. If you wanna play a game, well hopefully its on steam, or you can risk overheating.
Mine is a slot-in. It doesn't come out.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Might have dust in the case blocking the air vents.

If it has warranty, send it in.

If it doesn't have warranty, get a bottle of compressed air and open 'er up to clean it.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So this occured, after you reinstalled vista? have you installed all ACPI drivers which came with your laptop? maybe the windows ACPI isn't working well for your laptop

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jgu1994 said:
My parents had a lap top that would constantly overheat and shut down. Try keeping the cd drive open. We found that it would let off a lot of heat if we kept it open. If you wanna play a game, well hopefully its on steam, or you can risk overheating.

do not do this. you will end up clogging your CD drive with dust, and getting dust on the sensitive lens.

just get a can of compressed air and blow out all the dust.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raki said:
So this occured, after you reinstalled vista? have you installed all ACPI drivers which came with your laptop? maybe the windows ACPI isn't working well for your laptop
The only drivers I have installed are the drivers for the Biometric thing.

UltraMagnus said:
QUOTE(jgu1994 @ Feb 23 2009, 01:14 AM) My parents had a lap top that would constantly overheat and shut down. Try keeping the cd drive open. We found that it would let off a lot of heat if we kept it open. If you wanna play a game, well hopefully its on steam, or you can risk overheating.

do not do this. you will end up clogging your CD drive with dust, and getting dust on the sensitive lens.

just get a can of compressed air and blow out all the dust.
I think I cleaned most of it up. Still overheating though..

tpformbh

Trophies
XP
Country
Raki said:

This chap's onto the right track.

I had the same problem with my g/f's laptop, was running very slowly, fans were ramping up to full all the time, and it was reaching temperatures of 100 degrees celcius!
wacko.gif
blink.gif
I'd just installed XP MCE instead of XP home which it came with, had installed all drivers and couldn't see anything missing.

Basically, i'd forgotten to install the amd power now processor driver! Installed their monitoring utility as well, and changed the power scheme to 'max battery'. Now the machine goes down to 800mhz when idle and only runs at 1.8ghz when it's under stress. Also took the opportunity to apply some more thermal grease, and it's now peaking at 84 degrees, usually runs much cooler.

Hope that helps!

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
look on your driver disk, if there's any ACPI driver...try to install it and cross fingers that it will work

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't rule out the obvious; use a pile of coasters under each corner to raise it off your desk by an inch. Worked brilliantly for one of my friends.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you point out the stupidity of how not buying a $30 piece of hardware could potentially lead to the failure of several hundreds of dollars worth of hardware?

i also second going to the manufacturer's website and downloading and installing all of their latest drivers.

do not trust windows update for hardware updates on laptops. i installed a windows update for my wireless, and it promptly disconnected me every few hours without fail. i grabbed the driver from HP's site, and it's been flawless since.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Mhm...maybe updating the BIOS would solve the problem...?

I've had that when I installed an hacked system...the fans were blocked, won't run, or had the false seetings...updating the BIOS solved the problem...

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Blue-K said:

I've had that when I installed an hacked system...the fans were blocked, won't run, or had the false seetings...updating the BIOS solved the problem...

Well, I assume he just reinstalled vista and made no change in the BIOS...so their should be a problem in the ACPI or some other software part...although updating your BIOS is good, but we should start with something less dangerous (if he fails the BIOS Upgrade he has an expensive useless piece of hardware)

jaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Haha! Dell laptops. I've already had my motherboard replaced twice on my M1330 due to overheating and my GPU still goes up to 105C while gaming. I suggest you go here and look for a solution. Updating the BIOS would also be a good idea. Or you could try a copper mod if you're up to it.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raki said:
Joker said:
Raki said:
look on your driver disk, if there's any ACPI driver...try to install it and cross fingers that it will work
Nope, I can't find anything that says ACPI on it..

What's your laptop model and its producer?
Dell XPS M1530

QUOTE(Blue-K @ Feb 24 2009, 04:45 AM)

I updated the BIOS to the latest one on Saturday and I don't think that was the problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    one of my favorites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay elvis
    fuck elvis. lol :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft