Trophies
XP
Country
India
30084pm said:
I also know Gujarati as it's my mother language

Kem Choh.
tongue.gif

My neighbours are gujarati so I know some waht about it.
biggrin.gif

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
A Gay Little Catboy said:
When I was in school, I had 4 years of failing French
happy.gif
Bless, I feel your pain. I did one term of French and got a B+ and told my accent was lovely on my report card. I'm convinced the teacher mixed me up with someone else. Because I was the most useless of the the useless when it came to French. When you where in school? Are you home schooled now or something?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
mabilouz said:
happy.gif
Bless, I feel your pain. I did one term of French and got a B+ and told my accent was lovely on my report card. I'm convinced the teacher mixed me up with someone else. Because I was the most useless of the the useless when it came to French. When you where in school? Are you home schooled now or something?
I did awful myself. I got nothing right, not even the accent.
I graduated last year, I am no longer in school.

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
mabilouz said:
happy.gif
ph34r.gif
And I say again
ph34r.gif
I swear I thought you wrote somewhere you were 15 or something. My apologies Sir.

edit
Yeah I don't believe I got the accent right either, like I said I think the teacher mixed me up with someone else.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
mabilouz said:
mabilouz said:
happy.gif
ph34r.gif
And I say again
ph34r.gif
I swear I thought you wrote somewhere you were 15 or something. My apologies Sir.
Yeah, I made a blog about something that happened when I was about 15. I am almost 20 now, lol.

Also before high school I had 3 years of failing Spanish.

stylow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Waflix said:
At school I learn 6 different languages: Dutch, English (UK), German, French, Latin and Old-Greek. Excluding Dutch, my mother language, that would be 5. I was wondering how many languages you GBAtempers would learn at school. So choose the languages you learn at school, but not your mother language.
If I am missing one or more langauges that you learn at school (except your mother language) please reply.
Exact the same

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
-from class 5: English (mandatory until you finish school)

-either from class 7 (Secondary School): French, Spanish (selectable but not mandatory)
-or from class 7 (Grammar School): Latin, French, Spanish (you have to choose between one of them)

I personally learned English and French at school and the other two languages I know are my native languages. So basically I was taught just two languages in my time at school but tbh I´m completely fine with that, since in most countries you can communicate with people in English
wink.gif

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm Japanese but have lived my whole life in America, so both Japanese and English (US) are native to me. I've learned some Spanish through middle school (forgot most of it >_>) and am learning French right now, in highschool.

My school also offers Spanish and Japanese. I can communicate/interpret/type/read (not enough to read through a whole light novel, but enough to go through some Japanese games or manga) in Japanese, so I left it out of the equation when I chose the language to learn. I can't write in Japanese because I'm left handed (and as any other language, it was made for right handed people); some left handed people in Japan are forced to be ambidextrous just to write.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
How I wish I could learn Japanese in my own school but you know... I'm just too dumb
tongue.gif

I learnt it from a private center... and you have absolutely no idea HOW EXPENSIVE the course fees were.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
chris888222 said:
Wizerzak said:
Narayan said:
Ikki said:
Narayan said:
what's the difference in uk and us?
US english is UK english but deformed. Pronunciation (easy to tell by just listening to a british guy and an american guy talking) and spelling (colours and stuff) change, maybe some grammar rules too.

The English people are taught is generally UK's, since it's the original one.
so an American and a British would still understand each other.

Definitely, it's only when you have extreme accents from UK and USA talking to each other there may be some difficulties. I don;t think there are any grammar differences, just spelling and pronunciation. Also some words (very few) mean different things or don't exist in one language. For example 'jam' in UK is the fruit stuff but in US it is called 'jelly' But 'jelly' in UK is wobbly, sweet gelatine stuff and in the US that is called 'jell-o'.

In fact, a full list of differences in words can be found here.
Well, after reading the list, I can clearly say that our English more of the US!!
ohmy.gif

I have no idea what are 'noughts and crosses', 'draughts', 'free phone' etc.
frown.gif

Talk about historical colonization...
glare.gif

I do enjoy learning the differences between American and English if only because it can be the source of endless amusement (twisting language is a favourite game of mine). I must admit though I did not know homely as describing a person (usually a woman) in American was a synonym for ugly (here it tends to mean plain) although it does make more than a few books I read over the years make more sense.

Just to be a bastard

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0HMMij5ag8[/youtube]
Note that is Scots English which depending on the person you are speaking too might constitute a proper dialect; there is another pretty much unintelligible language (to those that speak English) called Scots Gaelic which youtube should quite happily link up. I am not sure where I stand on the matter; there are more than a few Jock transplants around me at present but I was never taught it and it makes sense to my ear.

As for school I liked my Latin teacher even if the curriculum was awful (actually there seems to have been a direct correlation between teachers I liked and teachers that ignored the curriculum and taught the subject) but the others........ suffice it to say I gave up and taught myself for most of it although I pretty much only use French these days to watch sports (motorbikes and rugby frequently get upped in French) and console hacking news (there are some great French news sites).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple