OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lameboy 0.10 released
first update in a while.
Nutki has returned with a new version of his gameboy (colour) emulator Lameboy sporting a rather substantial changelog although the author stresses the "beta" nature of the emulator.

[2006]lameboy.JPG

Change log:
  • * changed: updated devkitARM and associated libraries to r21
    * fixed: STOP opcode (fixes Konami Collection 2 JP & 4 JP)
    * fixed: found and reverted patch that caused problem with pumpkin level in Mario Land 2
    * fixed: another change in interrupt handling to fix Monster Rancher Explorer
    * fixed: palette change effects
    * fixed: interrupt enable register, fixes graphic glitches in Pokemon Pinball and Donkey Kong
    * fixed: DAA opcode flags
    * added: Super GameBoy borders and coloring support
    * added: rumble emulation with slot 2 rumble pak
    * added: menu
    * added: green color scheme for classic gb
    * added: configurable x/y key functions
    * added: save states
Save states are in early phase now, but somehow working. As a feature when save state is used game is not saved to regular .sav at the same time. Super Gameboy emulation on the other hand is pretty much done (of course no SNES sounds, as in other emulators).

icon11.gif
Authors blog/site
download.gif
GBAtemp download

Thanks to ZML for the heads up.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, I honestly didn't think there would be anymore updates after the last version (since it was pretty good as it was). Now let's see the dev of Goomba Color try to beat this
tongue.gif

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Wow, and I just found out about and started using Lameboy 0.09 today. I did notice that the last version was released quite a while back so this is quite surprising.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's still a slight graphics issue with the HUD on Pokémon Pinball, but other than that, the rumble support and the game works perfect. He also managed to up the speed of most GBC games, because Oracle games now run at 54fps instead of the previous 45fps. But most importantly, Donkey Kong '94 has been fixed, and there is now SGB Borders to make it even that much better! I think I'll be spending alot more time with my DS for awhile.

joe joe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Super Gameboy emulation on the other hand is almost done" ??????
huh.gif

wats super gameboy? Is that SNES or GBA or something?
It can't be GBA though.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joe joe said:
"Super Gameboy emulation on the other hand is almost done" ??????
huh.gif

wats super gameboy? Is that SNES or GBA or something?
It can't be GBA though.
Its the add-on that let you play Gameboy games on the SNES. Borders were added so the resolution matched that of the television, and this is what it means by "Super Gameboy" emulation.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Super Gameboy was an SNES cartridge with a GB slot on top so you could play GB and dual-mode games on your TV. Certain games made after its creation included special borders you could see when playing them on the Super Gameboy. SGB support means that it can use the DS's extra resolution to show part of those borders. Look at some screenshots for Goomba Color at http://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php for a demonstration.

I haven't put this on my DS yet, though I did some testing with no$GBA and I'm liking what I see. Can't seem to get SGB borders working for Azure Dreams or Link's Awakening, but I'll play around with that once I put it on real hardware.

Scathraax

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
How exactly does the Super Gameboy emulation work?
I've only seen a few games played on Super Gameboy, and that was years ago..

Is it only certain GB ROMs, or can you enable it for any ROM?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know back when I had my Super Game Boy (before it was stolen by a friend of a friend), any game would have it's own boarder around the play area, I'm going to guess that maybe it works this way for the emulator as well?

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Didn't the Super Gameboy games also have an extended palette compared to the same games on a Gameboy Color, or am I making that up? Also, I know that when put in the Super Gameboy, Donkey Kong '94 had different sound effects.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tested Lameboy on real hardware and was only able to get borders working in Pokemon Red. The dual-mode cartridges I tried that could run in the GB, GBC, and SGB did not show borders (Link's Awakening DX, Pokemon Pinball, Azure Dreams). I was also unable to get SGB support in the non-DX version of Link's Awakening.

As for how the SGB worked, since the SGB only supported GB or dual-mode games, for a game like Pokemon Pinball you'd get the border but you'd be limited to 4 colors. You could change those 4 colors though, which was rather nice.

Goomba Color uses an interesting trick to get both SGB borders and GBC colors at the same time, which obviously is a situation that wouldn't exist on the real hardware. For some games Goomba Color boots in SGB mode for a second until the SGB border is sent through, then resets into GBC mode. For other games it simply requests both and the game supplies both without questioning it.

Regardless, it appears that for now the only way to get both SGB borders and GBC colors for dual-mode games is through Goomba Color, based off my tests.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.