Homebrew RELEASE Lakka.tv - turn your Switch into a RetroArch powered retrogaming console - includes PSX, N64 and PSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, after having a scare and finding out my Switch was A-OK (while my desktop PC decided to kick the bucket :(), I find out that OCing the Switch could be bad due to bad thermal paste. Could someone who either has the soldering/desoldering skills or know someone who does theoretically pull the Tegra chip out, clean up whatever cheap-ass crap Nintendo thought was OK in their infinite Intel-esque wisdom for their winning strategy, and get some Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut up here? Or are there other factors limiting how far one can go in terms of brute forcing performance until the DynaRec Rescue Team shows up to save the day!?

Find out on Episode 65535 of SwitchHack X!!!

sirAnger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe any soldering skills are necessary. Just screwing, unplugging, and remembering where how to put everything back together.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
From what I know a crt before having burn in, it would take about 12 months about 24 hours a day, on a static image, which is the case of airports at the time when the crt was used, I have a panasonic plasma that could burn in less than a month... ( they corrected this with an ingenious system, which shifts the image one pixel h/v per second so less risk, samsung and panasonic (ORBITER function) are done on plasma tv for example)
With a static image, the lcd are placed between the crt and the plasma
Burn in
Crt>lcd>plasma
In black video quality color video response time?
Crt>plasma>lcd

Modern plasmas have better phosphors that are less likely to "burn" in the first place. They also include features designed to lessen the chance for image persistence or remove it if it occurs. An ORBITER function moves the image around the screen by a few pixels. Hardly noticeable, but it minimizes some aspects of burn-in. Full white or rapidly changing colored patterns excite the phosphors evenly, greatly reducing the time it takes to remove the effects of image persistence.

LCD fanboys cry foul that these features are an admission by plasma TV manufacturers of a performance problem. To them, I say, what do you think 120 Hz, 240 Hz, and higher refresh rates are? They're an explicit attempt to "fix" the motion blur problem inherent in all LCDs. There's no such thing as a perfect display, folks; you've got to take some good with the bad.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/so-crt-s-can-burn-in-too-232218/

Last edited by KHEOPS,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I get into it it's like it has a mind of it's own and forces me to go all the way to the right option and I'm stuck there until I reboot. The only way to control it is touch screen right?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I go into lakka the cursor goes all the way to the right option and I'm stuck there no matter what button I press or using touch screen. I then have to reboot. Rebooted 5 times same every time.

Dfroberts86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Important question. Can Lakka.tv still be loaded on a RCM-vulnerable system installed with FW 6.2.0? I get the feeling that if it can, then it's going to be given a lot of focus for those still interested in retro gaming on Switch for the time being.
It should be able to, since you load it directly from RCM mode. Horizon and 6.2.0 shouldnt be able to do anything to stop it.

MusicallyInspired

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm still not getting full speed N64 emulation with the latest 32-bit version.

(btw, I'm on 6.2.0 so yes it works. No way it can't work unless you've got a new model that stops the RCM exploit)

Last edited by MusicallyInspired,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I go into lakka the cursor goes all the way to the right option and I'm stuck there no matter what button I press or using touch screen. I then have to reboot. Rebooted 5 times same every time.

Anyone had this happen to them or have a solution? I can't use it at all. Joycons are supposed to be connected to Switch right? Mine are.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No, not playable anyway. The 64-bit build has the Dolphin core but it is unplayably slow. The 32-bit build is better because it features dynarec for N64, PS1 and PSP as well as the Reicast core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu